Running dual channel RAM

Alpha95

Alright, so I recently bought and installed two more sticks of RAM (8GB x 2 total 16GB) for my PC. they are the same brand, same clocking speeds. This extra set adds up to 32 GB of ram total in the PC currently. I go into my BIOS and set it up and seeing both channels having them set to the same clocking speeds, save and exit. Boot PC. However. once the PC boots and I run task manager. It says "slots used: 2 of 4" while hovering over it, it says "slot 1 / 2 Empty, slot 3 /4 8GB 2133MHz.
No matter what I place into the bios and reboot. It comes up saying the same thing. 1/2 empty 3/4 in use.
I am using an MSI B150 Gaming M3 Motherboard with an 1151 skylake chipset. Processor is an i5 6600K unclocked chip running on auto settings.
OS Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.
All I am looking to do is run both channels.
If anyone knows why I am having this issue I'm open for feedback.

Confirm RAM in listing: https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B150-GAMING-M3.html#support-mem

Test each stick individually in DIMM2 (double check in manual -it matters which one).

If all work individually in DIMM2, then try downloading memtest86 from Techspot and running "continuous" overnight (want >7 complete passes).

Did you check BIOS to see if update available?

Hello again, I apologize for the long delay in response to your post.

Yes I did confirm that their was a BIOS update for my MB. I also just performed the update with which now I have the biggest headache in the world. After flashing the BIOS or rather while flashing the BIOS the update reached 98% then the whole system itself shutdown. Their was no power loss, no cords were kicked and nothing touched. After it came back up online and was running I received a light on my board stating that the CPU had fault or was not detected. After great headache I managed to get the system to reboot. After which I received a light on the board for the VGA stating that the graphics card was now fault. After all this headache and switching things around to get the card to detect. I went back into the BIOS to configure my RAM. Unlinked, all runing at 2133MHz 1.200V at 15-15-15-35 x 2 for each channel. However, after all the pain and suffering. Task manager only reports seeing 2 out of 4 slots used. I am at a complete loss.

I have no idea what to do next. any help is appreciated.
Thank you.

Hello again, I apologize for the long delay in response to your post.

Yes I did confirm that their was a BIOS update for my MB. I also just performed the update with which now I have the biggest headache in the world. After flashing the BIOS or rather while flashing the BIOS the update reached 98% then the whole system itself shutdown. Their was no power loss, no cords were kicked and nothing touched. After it came back up online and was running I received a light on my board stating that the CPU had fault or was not detected. After great headache I managed to get the system to reboot. After which I received a light on the board for the VGA stating that the graphics card was now fault. After all this headache and switching things around to get the card to detect. I went back into the BIOS to configure my RAM. Unlinked, all runing at 2133MHz 1.200V at 15-15-15-35 x 2 for each channel. However, after all the pain and suffering. Task manager only reports seeing 2 out of 4 slots used. I am at a complete loss.

I have no idea what to do next. any help is appreciated.
Thank you.
Just an addition to my recent post. I am currently running memtest86 on the desktop. and it is also only reading 16GBout of the 32GB installed on the board. have not gotten around to testing sticks individually yet. but that will be a test for a day I have time to do so.

Sorry to hear you are experiencing such difficulty. Hope this sorts out.

First: Confirm RAM in listing: https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B150-GAMING-M3.html#support-mem

Second: Test each stick individually in DIMM2 (double check in manual -it matters which one).

Third: If all work individually in DIMM2, then try downloading memtest86 from Techspot and running "continuous" overnight (want >7 complete passes).

This was intended to be sequential - in order to prove that your RAM really does work with your motherboard. You haven't proven that it does so as yet.

The question about BIOS was informational.....not intended to tell you to update. In general, you should only update a system which is stable and fully functional. There have been several times that I have had to install an older CPU or run a single stick of RAM in order to have a reliable system before updating BIOS. Only when you have proven a stable system, can you then do the BIOS update. I believe there is a MSI utility which makes this process more likely to succeed. Please check your manual and the MSI website for specifics. Since it appears that the motherboard has memory compatibility issues which are addressed in the most recent BIOS, it is probably important to update it as it may solve your issue.

The war against the Machine has ended. I officially now have all 32GB of RAM running in my machine. All 4 sticks are now detected by the system and it's running smoothly. Turns out that running the sticks in a staggered array was the answer. The first two sticks I bought when I built my PC are in slots DIMM 2/4 and the two recently bought sticks are in slots DIMM 1/3. I will follow this success with a stability test to make sure everything is stable. I want to thank you all who replied to my post with valuable insight and wish you the best.
Thank you! :)(y)

Back