Russia is taking further steps towards a Splinternet

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanoguy

Staff member
In context: Over the past two weeks, Russian netizens have found themselves increasingly deprived of online services like Facebook, Twitter, global news sites, and streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. However, that could accelerate the Russian government’s plan to create a “sovereign Internet” and fundamentally change the way Russians connect to and access information from the rest of the world.

Russian communications regulator Roskomnadzor forced Google this week to remove tens of thousands of search results that link to resources used by Russians to circumvent bans placed on certain news sites and social media platforms.

Internet users in the country have been flocking to VPN services to get access to restricted sources of information, with one analysis estimating that demand for the top 10 most popular VPN apps has surged by 1,092 percent between February 24 and March 9.

A different market research firm says that downloads across Google Play and Apple’s App Store for the past week totaling over 4.6 million -- a 4,375 percent surge compared to the week before the start of the military conflict in Ukraine.

While the uptick in demand for VPNs isn’t unexpected, Russian authorities are already taking steps to enforce the Internet blockade. They have yet to ban VPN use, but they’ve ordered Google to remove thousands of VPN-related URLs from its search results, and the number of requests is increasing every day.

Over the past few years, Russia has been exploring ways to build what it calls a ”sovereign Internet,” where authorities can block VPN traffic at the network level, censor the “internal Internet,” and even cut it off from the outside world. Recently, the Russian state created its own domestic analog of a trusted TLS certificate authority to aid its efforts to intercept encrypted web traffic.

Of course, the deep level of internet traffic monitoring and filtering envisioned by Russia is a massive undertaking that won’t be possible overnight. But the ongoing military conflict in Ukraine and the barrage of sanctions levied by Western governments and companies has only accelerated plans to disentangle Russia’s Internet sphere from the rest of the world.

Image: Christiaan Colen

US-based Internet providers like Cogent have started cutting off Russian customers who rely on them to direct their data flows through the backbone of the Internet, presumably for fear of enabling state-sponsored cyberattacks and disinformation campaigns. Companies like Cloudflare, that try to speed up the web and defend it from various types of threats, believes shutting off all service in the country isn’t the best idea if the goal is to enable Russian citizens to see past the propaganda.

Either way, it’s only getting harder for online tech firms to decide how -- or if -- they want to manage the information flow. Leaving Russia altogether will allow its government to centralize network control and lead to further fragmentation of the Internet. That phenomenon, also known as the “Splinternet,” would deprive Russian citizens of a powerful tool for sharing information, fighting misinformation, and connecting with people who have a different view of the world.

The Russian Ministry for Digital Technology, Communication and Mass Media has maintained that there are no plans to disconnect Russia from the rest of the Internet. However, its “sovereign Internet” legislation does allow the Roskomnadzor to intervene in how Russia’s ecosystem of over 5,000 autonomous networks communicates with the global Internet -- and that includes fully disconnecting its homegrown RuNet from it if deemed necessary.

Permalink to story.

The world's internet is already heavily censored and restricted. Not only by China and Russia but by many other countries whose governments have decided to keep certain other country's news feeds out of their backyard - or have been completely appalled by social media and keep it censored. Not to mention video games which are prohibited.

These sanctions to block out the rest of the world are exactly what authoritarianism LOVES.

North Koreans, for example, are purposefully kept from WWW access simply because if they saw what they were missing they'd overthrow their government.

Being in such a rush to sanction and cut off Russia only strengthens the people's resolve against the west as now they point the finger of blame at the west rather than their own leaders.

Short sighted thinking at its worst.

I assume these search result manipulations are only for the period of wartime. If extended, restrictions on using the internet would result in a huge backlash today in any country, where citizens are already used to the access. VPN saves the day it seems, but of course, the vast majority of Russian citizens will not utilize such.

Funny, I thought Big Tech banned a sitting US president from all social media because he spread "misinformation", but they've never censored Putin.
Foreign politicians regularly get banned for misinformation. Putin doesn’t have a social media he tweets while shitting from, does he?

also, orange gorilla’s ***** filled rants killed people on 01/06 bud. But do you hate facts too?

"That phenomenon, also known as the “Splinternet,” would deprive Russian citizens of a powerful tool for sharing information, fighting misinformation, and connecting with people who have a different view of the world."

What an incredibly ironic statement from the article writers fingers. So, in the dictionary under the definition of "the Internet" we would read something along the lines of: "Used to share information and fight disinformation...and connecting with people who have a different view of the world". That's the definition of the Internet now, huh?

Comments like that just make my head spin. First off, this new buzzword, "misinformation", that everybody loves to bandy about these days is nothing more than a way to discount, ironically, anybody's opinion that doesn't line up with your world "truths".

The word has been overused to the point of being a cliche. When I read an article on the Internet or watch an Interview on the news and I hear that somebody is spreading "misinformation" I immediately think, okay, they must have a different "viewpoint" than the accuser.

It's been overused to a ridiculous level and means nothing to me anymore. It's like the democrats screaming RACIST every 5 seconds. You just get to the point of knowing in advance it's just BULL#**# and you ignore it.

This overused new buzzword, "misinformation", only became mainstream popular when vaccine manufacturers came up with the idea to shut down anybody speaking out against the dangers of vaccines. Especially, experimental vaccines. Understandably so, it's hurts their bottom line. This stuff couldn't be more obvious to those paying attention.

"That phenomenon, also known as the “Splinternet,” would deprive Russian citizens of a powerful tool for sharing information, fighting misinformation, and connecting with people who have a different view of the world."

What an incredibly ironic statement from the article writers fingers. So, in the dictionary under the definition of "the Internet" we would read something along the lines of: "Used to share information and fight disinformation...and connecting with people who have a different view of the world". That's the definition of the Internet now, huh?

Comments like that just make my head spin. First off, this new buzzword, "misinformation", that everybody loves to bandy about these days is nothing more than a way to discount, ironically, anybody's opinion that doesn't line up with your world "truths".

The word has been overused to the point of being a cliche. When I read an article on the Internet or watch an Interview on the news and I hear that somebody is spreading "misinformation" I immediately think, okay, they must have a different "viewpoint" than the accuser.

It's been overused to a ridiculous level and means nothing to me anymore. It's like the democrats screaming RACIST every 5 seconds. You just get to the point of knowing in advance it's just BULL#**# and you ignore it.

This overused new buzzword, "misinformation", only became mainstream popular when vaccine manufacturers came up with the idea to shut down anybody speaking out against the dangers of vaccines. Especially, experimental vaccines. Understandably so, it's hurts their bottom line. This stuff couldn't be more obvious to those paying attention.
Actually... "misinformation" is simply short for "misleading information"... That would be selectively picked pieces of information (that may or may not be true) that mislead people into believing something that isn't true.

First example: stating that "vaccines are dangerous".... people take stats like "xx people were harmed by the vaccine" and draw the conclusion that vaccines are dangerous... What they DON'T tell you is that hundreds of millions of people received these shots - and the % who were "harmed" was almost microscopic... Whereas the danger of NOT receiving the vaccine was higher...

You should know this however, as you have spouted this nonsense on this site for awhile... and when asked to provide evidence, you either vanish, move the goalposts, or simply disappear from the thread...

Funny, I thought Big Tech banned a sitting US president from all social media because he spread "misinformation", but they've never censored Putin.
I love how you put Big Tech in all capitals and the word misinformation in quotation marks. Telltale signs of someone who's on a steady diet of Fox News and right wing media nonsense. Anyway, Putin does not use social media, and if he did it would be something that is controlled by the Russian government and not something like Twitter or Facebook. So your comparison is way off.

They didn't just ban the Orange Conman all willy-nilly. He was warned literally hundreds of times to stop spreading lies and misinformation. The more he was getting warned the more he kept doing it, because hey he's the president and rules don't apply to him! Then he got banned from Twitter for 24 hours as a final warning. As soon as that ban expired he went right back to it and got permanently banned within hours.

But of course it's all Big Tech's fault right? Apparently republicans think that "free speech" means you can lie with impunity 24/7 and no one can say anything about it, but only as long as you're a republican. By the way, how is that new Truth Social (absolutely hilarious name btw) site coming along? Last I heard it crashed literally within an hour of its debut. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll iron out the bugs at some point and your Tangerine Messiah can get back to trying to break the record of most lies in a 24 hour period.

Dude, you forgot to use most of the favorite right wing nutjob buzzwords like woke, fake news, etc. Your post is hilarious and it belongs on Truth Social or something like InfoWars. hahahaha

I love how you put Big Tech in all capitals and the word misinformation in quotation marks. Telltale signs of someone who's on a steady diet of Fox News and right wing media nonsense. Anyway, Putin does not use social media, and if he did it would be something that is controlled by the Russian government and not something like Twitter or Facebook. So your comparison is way off.

They didn't just ban the Orange Conman all willy-nilly. He was warned literally hundreds of times to stop spreading lies and misinformation. The more he was getting warned the more he kept doing it, because hey he's the president and rules don't apply to him! Then he got banned from Twitter for 24 hours as a final warning. As soon as that ban expired he went right back to it and got permanently banned within hours.

But of course it's all Big Tech's fault right? Apparently republicans think that "free speech" means you can lie with impunity 24/7 and no one can say anything about it, but only as long as you're a republican. By the way, how is that new Truth Social (absolutely hilarious name btw) site coming along? Last I heard it crashed literally within an hour of its debut. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll iron out the bugs at some point and your Tangerine Messiah can get back to trying to break the record of most lies in a 24 hour period.
So, in other words, they banned him because his worldview was different from their worldview. Got it. Heheheh, you used the word "misinformation". How pathetic. Next thing I know you'll be calling somebody a RACIST!

Actually... "misinformation" is simply short for "misleading information"... That would be selectively picked pieces of information (that may or may not be true) that mislead people into believing something that isn't true.

First example: stating that "vaccines are dangerous".... people take stats like "xx people were harmed by the vaccine" and draw the conclusion that vaccines are dangerous... What they DON'T tell you is that hundreds of millions of people received these shots - and the % who were "harmed" was almost microscopic... Whereas the danger of NOT receiving the vaccine was higher...

You should know this however, as you have spouted this nonsense on this site for awhile... and when asked to provide evidence, you either vanish, move the goalposts, or simply disappear from the thread...
I eat vaccine junkies for breakfast. If I "appear" to vanish it's because I have a life outside of entertaining the vaccine junkies all day. Or the moderator deletes my post and locks the thread for the fear of me spreading truth.

Rest assured it's not because I'm lacking at all in the confidence of my stance towards injecting young children with something which they don't really need. We have hard data now that proves that.

Misinformation? How about shutting down the world and cajoling millions of people to "rush out" and get vaxxed before we all end up dead? And yet we didn't and thus we're not. Makes ya go hmmmm, doesn't it?

Well, I gotta "disappear" as you say. I've been up my 16+ hours for the day. I'll be back to respond if my post doesn't get deleted for "mis information". Hehehe, you gotta love that.

So much winning in Russia

As predicted Rus army is doing what it does best - bombing hospitals etc - Just like Syria , Chechnya etc. Now the want to surround Kyiv and pound it to rubble.

Except they will de destroyed- they advance as Ukraine lets them ( sting retreat )- making themselves more vulnerable to future operations in strung out lines . Russia has lost - they just don't know it - imagine 870 billion reserves plus used for good , no sanctions , less corruption - how well off they could be

Or the moderator deletes my post and locks the thread for the fear of me spreading truth.
Strange that I have never seen you do that.

I was going to post some links to prove you wrong. Again. But as said above if I did you would just suddenly disappear. Have you ever proved anything you have said?
imagine 870 billion reserves plus used for good , no sanctions , less corruption - how well off they could be
They will spend what they can, but as this very thread talks about, they will end up spending huge amounts just to cover up their crimes.

Last edited:
There has always been talk about Internet Borders or Cyberspace Borders because of this digital age. North Korea, China and Russia are now challenging this idea.

If one day Russians were no longer on the Internet at large, would this really be considered a loss for anyone but the Russians?

I mean, I reckon most would benefit from fewer ransomware groups, crackers, script kiddies and boorish thugs in online games.

The world's internet is already heavily censored and restricted. Not only by China and Russia but by many other countries whose governments have decided to keep certain other country's news feeds out of their backyard - or have been completely appalled by social media and keep it censored. Not to mention video games which are prohibited.

These sanctions to block out the rest of the world are exactly what authoritarianism LOVES.

North Koreans, for example, are purposefully kept from WWW access simply because if they saw what they were missing they'd overthrow their government.

Being in such a rush to sanction and cut off Russia only strengthens the people's resolve against the west as now they point the finger of blame at the west rather than their own leaders.

Short sighted thinking at its worst.

If you think russians will take kindly to being locked out of the internet by Putin you are sorely mistaken.

"...The Russian Ministry for Digital Technology, Communication and Mass Media has maintained that there are no plans to disconnect Russia from the rest of the Internet...."

If there is one thing countries around Russia over centuries learned is to never trust a word of the regime which is running this country.

1. Brezhnev 1986: we don't plan to invade Afghanistan...
2: Putin 2022: I don't want to invade Ukraine...
3. Lavrov 2022: Ukraine invaded Russia...
4. Lavrov 2022: Russia don't plan to invade other countries... (both statements yesterday in Antalya)
5. Roskomnadzor 2022: we don't plan to disconnect from the global internet. Yeap in a year they'll be.

Sad for awesome folks living there, I hope they'll manage to escape this Gulag before its too late. So in couple months we'll have two big concentration camps in the World. Xitler's China and Putler's Russia. And who knows, in 50 years perhaps China will stretch from Belarus to Vladivostok. Xitler is not stupid, he will enslave Russia economically and then simply buy them out, because weak economically Russia is also good for Chinese industry. Almost like roles has been reversed from 1949 by 180 degrees.

I hope that before start of thermonuclear war Russian people will find Putler and rest of his "court". Then they'll take them to the monument dedicated to the Conquerors of Space and hang them there. It's 110m tall so it should be fitting warning for next one who will try to pull stunt like this.

Putler is brainless being. He had golden goose. He could sit and just cut out the coupons from all oil/gas wealth for next century. Instead he decided to start world invasion tour. Most funny thing is that despite Ukraine being turned into mountain of rubble still Ukraine Hryvnia is 4x more valuable than Russian Ruble (Rubble?).

Last edited:
Or the moderator deletes my post and locks the thread for the fear of me spreading truth.
And next you're going to tell us that you're the "sole proprietor of the truth".

I can tell you that I've had plenty of posts pulled, but when that happened, I've had the presence of mind to realize they deserved it.
Misinformation? How about shutting down the world and cajoling millions of people to "rush out" and get vaxxed before we all end up dead? And yet we didn't and thus we're not. Makes ya go hmmmm, doesn't it?
You didn't get sick, so the epidemic didn't happen, is that correct? That's a bold, self centered position, isn't it?. But then again, the world revolves around you, doesn't it?

Last edited:
I think: depriving ordinary people of the ability to read news on the Internet is evil. The best thing to suggest is to shut down all of Putin's media outlets on the world's Internet. Because Putin and his "media" - is clearly fascist propaganda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back