Russia says it will quit the ISS, but NASA wants cooperation to continue

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Russia says it will halt cooperation with western nations on the International Space Station (ISS) until sanctions imposed on Moscow are lifted. Russia's space director, Dmitry Rogozin, made the announcement on social media, but NASA says it continues to support government space cooperation.

Rogozin, who heads Russia's Roscosmos space agency, said that the goal of the sanctions was to "kill Russian economy and plunge our people into despair and hunger, to get our country on its knees." He added that they "won't succeed in it, but the intentions are clear."

"That's why I believe that the restoration of normal relations between the partners at the International Space Station (ISS) and other projects is possible only with full and unconditional removal of illegal sanctions," Rogozin wrote in his Telegram account.

Rogozin tweeted that he appealed the sanctions in letters to NASA, the European Space Agency, and the Canadian Space Agency (CSA). He also posted images of what are allegedly responses from each country—the CSA confirmed the letter's authenticity to The Verge.

"The U.S. continues to support international government space cooperations, especially those activities associated with operating the ISS with Russia, Canada, Europe, and Japan," states one letter, signed by NASA administrator Bill Nelson. "New and existing U.S. export control measures continue to allow cooperation between the U.S. and Russia to ensure continued safe operations of the ISS."

Rogozin said Roscosmos will determine a date for halting Russia's involvement with the ISS, which will then be reported to the Russian government.

Russia has continued to work with western partners, including the US, on the ISS since the country invaded Ukraine. Two Russian cosmonauts and a US astronaut returned to earth last Wednesday and landed in Kazakhstan, where they were met by Russian and NASA officials who cooperated during the recovery.

The New York Times notes that the agreement between nations participating in the space program runs until 2024, and the US wants to extend this until 2030. Russia previously said it planned to leave the ISS and launch its own space station into orbit by the end of the decade.

"All of our international partners including Roscosmos are making progress on moving towards station extension to 2030," said Kathy Lueders, NASA's associate administrator for space operations. She added that NASA is also working on other agreements with Russia.

In February, Rogozin warned that without the participation of Russia, which NASA relies on for the ISS's position and orientation in space, the station would (eventually) come crashing into the US, Europe, India, or China. But Elon Musk believes SpaceX could prevent this nightmare scenario.

Permalink to story.

It's a bluff. Russia needs the US dollars to keep the IIS afloat. They cannot afford the upkeep themselves. They will do nothing but talk smack. I'd suggest reading more on the specific situation.

I don't think many in the West understand what is about to happen given they produce next to nothing other than debt and the East has largely been propping them up for the last few decades, hyper joeflation is coming.

It's a bluff. Russia needs the US dollars to keep the IIS afloat. They cannot afford the upkeep themselves. They will do nothing but talk smack. I'd suggest reading more on the specific situation.

You are very wrong. Russia wants nothing to do with US dollar. So much so, they now refuse US dollar.

Let em quit ..... I'll bet there are more than a few other countries that would be happy to take over their space. Just open the door and shove all their stuff out in space, then tell em where it's at. Too bad no oxygen or we could be like my next door neighbor that put all her x's stuff in a pile and put a match to it!

Russia is extremely important and they tried to encroach on its borders- and are now paying the ultimate price.

Yeah no. Putin and people like you are making the same exact excuses Hitler made so long ago; "We must liberate the [insert language here] speaking people living in [insert country here]." This is nothing more then a recurring pattern since Putin came into power.

Putin's been clear since the day he came to power: He wants to re-form the USSR. Be it Chechnya, Georgia, Belarus, Crimea, Ukraine, he's been doing this for decades and learned the west would do nothing to stop him. Putin was expecting much the same this time, which might have been the case if "the other guy" were still in charge. Make no mistake though: If Putin gets eastern Ukraine, he will absolutely try and snatch the rest at the first opportunity.

Also, if I were Moldovia, I'd be looking for security guarantees ASAP as they're likely next on Putins list.

People like you are either brainwashed and unable to think beyond what your news organization of choice tells you to think, or a deliberate troll.

I don't think many in the West understand what is about to happen given they produce next to nothing other than debt and the East has largely been propping them up for the last few decades, hyper joeflation is coming.

Nah, if anything we're closer to an accidental recession then anything.

First of, debt really doesn't matter so long as inflation is held steady. I also note that its somewhat disingenuous to complain about debt while also asking for tax cuts. [And no, no tax cut going back to the 60's has resulted in revenue growth, so don't even try and argue otherwise. We have literally 60+ years of evidence that cutting taxes does not increase revenue through future economic growth.]

Secondly, the current bout of inflation, Ukraine/Russia aside, is largely because the economy is outright booming; 6%+ GDP growth, plus a large glut of workers moving between jobs results in costs going up. Doubly so since there's a supply glut that needs a year or two to get through the system. But there's nothing "structural" that indicates this is permeant.

If anything, this economy looks eerily similar to Reagan's spring of 1982 economy; high inflation, but strong economic numbers otherwise. Reagan's party got crushed in the 82 midterms, and Democrats were so sure of victory they put forward a very left leaning candidate for the first time in decades. Then inflation naturally went down through most of 1983, and instead of an easy victory (which they would have had in '82) they suffered the worst electoral defeat in history. Just saying, don't count your chickens too early.

My only real economic concern is the Fed over-reacting and causing an accidental recession.

I’m sure they will be fine. European nations alone pay Putin several billion dollars a week for his gas and oil and China has seized the opportunity to score some cheap deals with Putin for gas.

The stench of hypocrisy is strong in Europe right now. Many Europeans with Ukrainian profile pictures are probably currently heating their homes with Russian gas right now.

I’m sure they will be fine. European nations alone pay Putin several billion dollars a week for his gas and oil and China has seized the opportunity to score some cheap deals with Putin for gas.

The stench of hypocrisy is strong in Europe right now. Many Europeans with Ukrainian profile pictures are probably currently heating their homes with Russian gas right now.
Russian energy dependency is an unfortunate problem, but you can't just leave your own country in the dark and cold overnight, because you had an *****ic policy for years. And it's not just people, it's industries, services etc. That would only weaken Europe and would not stop the war. Things are changing, but it's going to take time. Europe IS helping Ukraine. A lot. And people of Europe have shown strong support. Calling hypocrisy is plain stupid, because we're going to pay higher and higher bills for our help.

Nah, if anything we're closer to an accidental recession then anything.

First of, debt really doesn't matter so long as inflation is held steady. I also note that its somewhat disingenuous to complain about debt while also asking for tax cuts. [And no, no tax cut going back to the 60's has resulted in revenue growth, so don't even try and argue otherwise. We have literally 60+ years of evidence that cutting taxes does not increase revenue through future economic growth.]

Secondly, the current bout of inflation, Ukraine/Russia aside, is largely because the economy is outright booming; 6%+ GDP growth, plus a large glut of workers moving between jobs results in costs going up. Doubly so since there's a supply glut that needs a year or two to get through the system. But there's nothing "structural" that indicates this is permeant.

If anything, this economy looks eerily similar to Reagan's spring of 1982 economy; high inflation, but strong economic numbers otherwise. Reagan's party got crushed in the 82 midterms, and Democrats were so sure of victory they put forward a very left leaning candidate for the first time in decades. Then inflation naturally went down through most of 1983, and instead of an easy victory (which they would have had in '82) they suffered the worst electoral defeat in history. Just saying, don't count your chickens too early.

My only real economic concern is the Fed over-reacting and causing an accidental recession.
Nothing accidental about it, rampant money printing for the past 1-2 decades in order to give the illusion of a booming economy has put the Fed in the position where if it normalizes interest rates the whole economy craters.

Nothing accidental about it, rampant money printing for the past 1-2 decades in order to give the illusion of a booming economy has put the Fed in the position where if it normalizes interest rates the whole economy craters.
You're not wrong at this point; the economy really can't survive without the Fed putting money into it. Japan is actually a good example of this; every time they tried taking money out of it, recession. In theory, things would normalize again after a few years, but that's not politically viable.

The "real" long-term problem is the shrinking middle class can't sustain the economy without direct federal aid anymore, as their purchasing power has been dropping since the 70's (or about the time the US moved away from Keynesian principles). You have more people fighting over less money; that's not sustainable. And as fewer people control more money, eventually things will hit a point where the economy just doesn't work anymore. At *some point*, we're going to have a depression worse then 1929; I think we're still a decade or two out from that, but if our current course holds it WILL happen.

Russian energy dependency is an unfortunate problem, but you can't just leave your own country in the dark and cold overnight, because you had an *****ic policy for years. And it's not just people, it's industries, services etc. That would only weaken Europe and would not stop the war. Things are changing, but it's going to take time. Europe IS helping Ukraine. A lot. And people of Europe have shown strong support. Calling hypocrisy is plain stupid, because we're going to pay higher and higher bills for our help.
No it’s definitely hypocrisy. You pretend like Europe didn’t have any idea who Putin is and what he might do. I remember Trump calling Germany out in 2018 for underspending on military and not meeting NATO commitments whilst signing new multi billion dollar deals with Russia to build a gas pipeline. Europe is funding Putin big time and has been for years. Guns being fired at Ukrainians are paid for by Europeans. And at the same time, western banks are giving the Ukrainian government “emergency” loans with super high interest rates. They will profit massively from this war.

Oh and this isn’t even mentioning the meddling the EU and the US did in the Ukraine. They funded the militia who overthrew the government and then installed Zelensky.

Europe is extremely hypocritical and I pity anyone who defends this disgusting behaviour.

Last edited:
No it’s definitely hypocrisy. You pretend like Europe didn’t have any idea who Putin is and what he might do. I remember Trump calling Germany out in 2018 for underspending on military and not meeting NATO commitments whilst signing new multi billion dollar deals with Russia to build a gas pipeline. Europe is funding Putin big time and has been for years. Guns being fired at Ukrainians are paid for by Europeans. And at the same time, western banks are giving the Ukrainian government “emergency” loans with super high interest rates. They will profit massively from this war.

Oh and this isn’t even mentioning the meddling the EU and the US did in the Ukraine. They funded the militia who overthrew the government and then installed Zelensky.

Europe is extremely hypocritical and I pity anyone who defends this disgusting behaviour.

You have some good points - Merkel thought to bring Russia in from the cold with Trade - Unfortunately the average Ruski would wants the shiny shinys and overseas holidays - didn't really think the Kremlin would go all in - they believe Putin right up to the 24th of Feb - It was western lies about the coming invasion . The Baltic States , Poland and to lessor extend UK/Scandinavia have been better .
Germany is looking to free itself - Summer is coming - less fuel needs will help ,

As the War crimes vs Blue eyed people increase - more will be done to sanction ( not so much for war crimes in very recent past vs brown eyed people )

Unfortunately Rus will dig in on the Eastern Border - thankfully their inland bombing runs will diminish - The people in Donbas region will come to hate the Russians even more .

Their is a growing revulsion - around the world - China is taking note ( keep it internal and quiet )

Tough choice Putin or Musk. Musk is rather unhinged, most likely an undiagnosed bipolar sufferer. If not he's just a total d!ck.

Summer is coming, in the next 5-6 months gas usage will be lowered by 90%
FYI; Most houses are not heated with gas

Let em quit ..... I'll bet there are more than a few other countries that would be happy to take over their space. Just open the door and shove all their stuff out in space, then tell em where it's at. Too bad no oxygen or we could be like my next door neighbor that put all her x's stuff in a pile and put a match to it!

As of 2020 the USA "had" a space capsule again, meaning that from 2011 to 2020 the USA (and most of the world) was relying on "Russian technology" to get humans to space and back. Now we apparently have Elon's SpaceX too (and a Chinese capsule, for the really temerarious out there).

Back