Russia slams HP for closing local website, claims world is boycotting the company

Status
Not open for further replies.

midian182

Staff member
In context: HP halted its operations in Russia and Belarus soon after the invasion of Ukraine in 2022, like many other tech companies. The tech giant has now completed its exit from Russia, shutting down the local website used to download drivers and for technical support. In response, Russia has complained that HP offered no warning that it was about to close the site. Furthermore, the country's media is pointing to the controversy over HP's printer ink policies, claiming that "the rest of the world is boycotting HP."

In March 2022, HP was one of many Western firms to announce it was leaving Russia and Belarus – where its sales generated around $1 billion – as a response to the invasion of Ukraine. The impact of stopping the supply of equipment to the countries wasn't too severe thanks to parallel imports, which involve importing products from other nations without the permission of the IP owner.

Now, to comply with US-mandated sanctions, HP has completely withdrawn from Russia. Trying to access HP's Russian website automatically redirects visitors to the company's website in Kazakhstan, where Russian is one of the two most-spoken languages. Users can download drivers for HP products from this website, but there is no online support. HP's Belarus website also redirects to the Kazakhstan site.

Russian news outlet CNews complains that HP did not send out notifications informing users that it was shutting down its Russian website, choosing instead to do everything surreptitiously. The publication notes that this stands in contrast to Microsoft, which gave Russian companies about a week to find new cloud services before kicking them off its platform.

HP saw its 36% share of the Russian printer market fall to 21% in the third quarter of 2022 following the suspension of operations. Chinese company Pantum took the top spot with a 53% share, up from just 16% a year earlier. Second-place Epson still has a 22.1% share of the Russian market despite it also suspending exports in 2022.

CNews writes that while HP is boycotting Russia, the rest of the world is boycotting HP. The site highlights the long-running controversies over the company's printers, including its ink subscription model and the policy of forcing people to use HP cartridges.

Permalink to story.

These mandates are utterly useless and do nothing but harm the companies, not the consumers.

Sanctions just are completely ineffective.

What toxic comments we have above. HP isn't perfect, but it's by no means a "POS" company. Needs to be put in it's place, sure, but not a worthless company. Likewise, Russia has it's problems, sure. Putin is one of them, a big one. Yet Russia is still a good country with good people.

People, use some common sense when leaving comments instead of making yourselves look daft..

Last edited:
Belarus had been punished unfairly. The EU severely damaged Belarus's economic independence, as its exports were about 80% EU-oriented before 2020. Western countries blamed Belarus for being unable to resist Russian influence.

Belarus had been punished unfairly. The EU severely damaged Belarus's economic independence, as its exports were about 80% EU-oriented before 2020. Western countries blamed Belarus for being unable to resist Russian influence.
Belarus has been routinely undemocratic under Lukashenko, and has given safe passage to Wagner terrorists after the failed coup. Sanctions are very much justified.

By looking at the comments - oh US did air strikes and attacked another country - no worries, its okay. Its US end of the day, they can't be wrong.
Oh Russia attacked another country, companies should exit Russia and teach these Russians a lesson.
I know it is whataboutery, but US faced no consequences whatsoever for all the strikes it has done. Yes most companies are US companies, but if we are talking about ethics and morality, we should also demand that these compaies should shift their HQs to another "ethical" country.

By looking at the comments - oh US did air strikes and attacked another country - no worries, its okay. Its US end of the day, they can't be wrong.
Oh Russia attacked another country, companies should exit Russia and teach these Russians a lesson.
I know it is whataboutery, but US faced no consequences whatsoever for all the strikes it has done. Yes most companies are US companies, but if we are talking about ethics and morality, we should also demand that these compaies should shift their HQs to another "ethical" country.
US air strikes are NOT equivalent to invading another sovereign nation with the attempt to annex / destroy.

No, I’m not condoning US actions but to think that Russia’s actions are the same is just inane.

US air strikes are NOT equivalent to invading another sovereign nation with the attempt to annex / destroy.

No, I’m not condoning US actions but to think that Russia’s actions are the same is just inane.
Oh is it? So US invading Iraq was justified and not as bad as Russia's actions as Iraqi people are non-white? How else are Russia's actions so grossly wrong but US actions weren't?

Oh is it? So US invading Iraq was justified and not as bad as Russia's actions as Iraqi people are non-white? How else are Russia's actions so grossly wrong but US actions weren't?
I see you’ve forgotten WHY the US struck Iraq… not saying it was justified, but they didn’t annex Iraq did they?

I see you’ve forgotten WHY the US struck Iraq… not saying it was justified, but they didn’t annex Iraq did they?
Maybe not technically but virtually yes US did annex and had control over Iraq for a very long time. Also, last time I checked, Russia has not annexed Ukraine either. Neither is that the issue of conflict. So say that again, what justifies so much anger and sanctions against Russia but not against the US?

Maybe not technically but virtually yes US did annex and had control over Iraq for a very long time. Also, last time I checked, Russia has not annexed Ukraine either. Neither is that the issue of conflict. So say that again, what justifies so much anger and sanctions against Russia but not against the US?
They DIDN'T annex Iraq - effective control isn't the same thing.

And Russia DID annex the Ukraine - it was part of the USSR for decades!

The only reason they haven't annexed it this time is that their army is ineffectual and they can't actually take control of the country.

They DIDN'T annex Iraq - effective control isn't the same thing.

And Russia DID annex the Ukraine - it was part of the USSR for decades!

The only reason they haven't annexed it this time is that their army is ineffectual and they can't actually take control of the country.
That's what I said that technically US didn't annex but they were in effective control.

So you are telling that the consequences Russia is facing - sanctions, ban and corporations exiting - is ONLY because of this technicality that "supposedly" motives of Russia and US have been different in these wars? Both countries invaded the other country, did so much damage and killed many civilians. Somehow US intentions were sacred to not attract ANY consequence?

Last edited:
That's what I said that technically US didn't annex but they were in effective control.

So you are telling that the consequences Russia is facing - sanctions, ban and corporations exiting - is ONLY because of this technicality that "supposedly" motives of Russia and US have been different in these wars? Both countries invaded the other country, did so much damage and killed many civilians. Somehow US intentions were sacred to not attract ANY consequence?
US invasion of Iraq was poorly executed and for the wrong reasons… but… the pretense at least was that they were defending against the terror of the Arab / Muslim world… while possibly erroneous, current events can probably vindicate the original decision.

The Russian invasion of the Ukraine has no such pretense… no Russian freedoms are being threatened by the Ukraine - Putin just thought he could pull a fast one on the west… and he’s failing miserably.

Fortunately for Putin (and terrible for all of his citizens) Russia isn’t a “free” country and he will win every phony election until he dies (or is assassinated).

US leaders, at least, have to appease their citizens and fight elections where there’s actually a chance of defeat.

US invasion of Iraq was poorly executed and for the wrong reasons… but… the pretense at least was that they were defending against the terror of the Arab / Muslim world… while possibly erroneous, current events can probably vindicate the original decision.

The Russian invasion of the Ukraine has no such pretense… no Russian freedoms are being threatened by the Ukraine - Putin just thought he could pull a fast one on the west… and he’s failing miserably.

Fortunately for Putin (and terrible for all of his citizens) Russia isn’t a “free” country and he will win every phony election until he dies (or is assassinated).

US leaders, at least, have to appease their citizens and fight elections where there’s actually a chance of defeat.
If we are believing US's excuse for invading Iraq, which was BS, we should then also believe Russia's excuse. It was not like one fine morning Putin decided to invade Ukraine. West has been a bully since long and they were trying to do the same with Russia by setting up NATO bases close to Russian border. Why should we trust US's excuse about weapons of mass destruction etc but not Russia's excuse? If US is democratic republic, so is Russia. Russia isn't a free country, Putin is going to remain as long as he is alive blah blah are all allegations. That way someone could allege US isn't a free country because it is surveilling on its entire citizens and even the world, its own president gets assassinated, and then it uses Cambridge Analytica or Capitol riots to fuel a govt change. Why does the west think that they have the right to qualify Russia as "not free" or interfere everywhere but not introspect their own actions?

If we are believing US's excuse for invading Iraq, which was BS, we should then also believe Russia's excuse. It was not like one fine morning Putin decided to invade Ukraine. West has been a bully since long and they were trying to do the same with Russia by setting up NATO bases close to Russian border. Why should we trust US's excuse about weapons of mass destruction etc but not Russia's excuse? If US is democratic republic, so is Russia. Russia isn't a free country, Putin is going to remain as long as he is alive blah blah are all allegations. That way someone could allege US isn't a free country because it is surveilling on its entire citizens and even the world, its own president gets assassinated, and then it uses Cambridge Analytica or Capitol riots to fuel a govt change. Why does the west think that they have the right to qualify Russia as "not free" or interfere everywhere but not introspect their own actions?
Russia is a democratic country?!? Really? I think we’re done here… argue the merits of the US democracy all you want - there is no question it has some serious flaws - but there is no denying the US system relies on votes…

Putin doesn’t need to rely on votes - he gets over 80% of the popular vote doesn’t he? Funny though… no matter how successful the leader, there has never been anyone to get that high of a %…. Could Putin just be that awesome?

Or… gasp… could he be rigging elections?

If you lived in Russia, you couldn’t say any of this by the way - you’d be in a gulag… in the US, you’d just get people dissing you on social media.

Flawed as it is, I’d take the US.

Russia is a democratic country?!? Really? I think we’re done here… argue the merits of the US democracy all you want - there is no question it has some serious flaws - but there is no denying the US system relies on votes…

Putin doesn’t need to rely on votes - he gets over 80% of the popular vote doesn’t he? Funny though… no matter how successful the leader, there has never been anyone to get that high of a %…. Could Putin just be that awesome?

Or… gasp… could he be rigging elections?

If you lived in Russia, you couldn’t say any of this by the way - you’d be in a gulag… in the US, you’d just get people dissing you on social media.

Flawed as it is, I’d take the US.
I thought we were discussing on technicalities so technically yes Russia is democratic. Secondly, everyone knows about Putin rigging elections and what not. But these are again allegations. Mostly people base their knowledge on western media and even propaganda against Russia. But has it ever been proven? West is trying the same with India that the elected govt is due to rigged elections and dictatorship. However, these countries claim that the west just tries to suppress any strong leader elsewhere to retain their status. The truth is we will never know unless we are living in that country and really know the situation there.

Same way a lot of allegations can be put on US. If US is truly free and democratic, why it is hunting Julian Assange and Edward Snowden across the world? Why did it manipulate elections using social media and riots? Why so many electoral ballots were found abandoned in last US elections?

How do we quantify that this much rigging and manipulation is okay but anything beyond that is not? And is it backed by a proof or just allegations? How many Russians you have found who are unhappy with Putin? Russians who have settled outside, atleast they could have been vocal if Putin was so bad for them or the country.

Anyways, this debate is endless. I just do not think corporation should have taken a stance in this and exited Russia as they have not done it in the past for other wars. More so because they claim to be unbiased politically, regionally etc.

I thought we were discussing on technicalities so technically yes Russia is democratic. Secondly, everyone knows about Putin rigging elections and what not. But these are again allegations. Mostly people base their knowledge on western media and even propaganda against Russia. But has it ever been proven? West is trying the same with India that the elected govt is due to rigged elections and dictatorship. However, these countries claim that the west just tries to suppress any strong leader elsewhere to retain their status. The truth is we will never know unless we are living in that country and really know the situation there.

Same way a lot of allegations can be put on US. If US is truly free and democratic, why it is hunting Julian Assange and Edward Snowden across the world? Why did it manipulate elections using social media and riots? Why so many electoral ballots were found abandoned in last US elections?

How do we quantify that this much rigging and manipulation is okay but anything beyond that is not? And is it backed by a proof or just allegations? How many Russians you have found who are unhappy with Putin? Russians who have settled outside, atleast they could have been vocal if Putin was so bad for them or the country.

Anyways, this debate is endless. I just do not think corporation should have taken a stance in this and exited Russia as they have not done it in the past for other wars. More so because they claim to be unbiased politically, regionally etc.
Dunno what you are discussing - this thread was about how Russia is mad at HP for closing down its Russian website….

But you decided to go on and on about how Russia isn’t any worse than the US - which is so patently false that it could only be seriously espoused by someone whose family was held hostage by Putin… if that’s true for you, I’m sorry - hopefully his successor will be better (he won’t live forever, and he’s fairly old - have hope).

Say what you will about Trump, Byden or any past US leaders like Bush, Clinton, Obama - even their staunchest opponents never accused them of murdering their rivals - or holding families hostage…

Dunno what you are discussing - this thread was about how Russia is mad at HP for closing down its Russian website….

But you decided to go on and on about how Russia isn’t any worse than the US - which is so patently false that it could only be seriously espoused by someone whose family was held hostage by Putin… if that’s true for you, I’m sorry - hopefully his successor will be better (he won’t live forever, and he’s fairly old - have hope).

Say what you will about Trump, Byden or any past US leaders like Bush, Clinton, Obama - even their staunchest opponents never accused them of murdering their rivals - or holding families hostage…
That's what I have been trying to tell you. My whole point was against corporations taking sides in a war when they have not done it historically. Maybe just because in this war, the side under attack is a western country and most corporations are US based. But you diverted it so many topics and is still diverting it by saying all US presidents are saner and better than Putin. This can be another topic to debate.

That's what I have been trying to tell you. My whole point was against corporations taking sides in a war when they have not done it historically. Maybe just because in this war, the side under attack is a western country and most corporations are US based. But you diverted it so many topics and is still diverting it by saying all US presidents are saner and better than Putin. This can be another topic to debate.
HP is a US company… and the US dictated that they needed to stop doing business with Russia. It’s kind of cut and dried here… don’t blame HP for this - blame Russia’s inability to maintain cordial relations with the west.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back