Russian-Armenian botnet master made $140,000 a month

Emil

Staff

An undercover operation by Dutch and Russian authorities resulted in the arrest of Georg Avanesov earlier this week. Avanesov had allegedly been running a network of hacked computers around the world, typically referred to as a botnet, for over a decade. According to a source close to law enforcement, the 27-year-old made millions during that time frame.

Avanesov is suspected to be one of the curators of Bredolab, a trojan horse usually distributed through email attachments or downloaded inadvertently through browser security holes. Once infected, a computer running Bredolab can be used to download and execute files from the Internet. Dutch prosecutors believe that Avanesov made up to €100,000 ($138,950) a month from renting and selling part of his botnet to other cybercriminals for limited periods of time. They in turn used it to send their own spam or mine the PCs for personal data and files.

Avanesov was able to sell parts of the botnet off "because it was very easy for him to extend the botnet again," by infecting more PCs, a Public Prosecution Service in Rotterdam spokesperson told ComputerWorld. At its peak, Bredolab could send billions of spam e-mail messages in a month and is accounted for infecting millions of computers in a relatively short span of time.

Permalink to story.

Wow. It's really stunning what these people make from sending out viruses to string together botnets.

To bad for all the people that were infected by this i feel sorry for them. wish i could make 10k a month jesh

argh... I'm definitely in the wrong line of work. It's sad that more users/businesses aren't securing their computers in order to slow the spread of malware.

hello ...

onzfeat said:
genius, but wrong way to use his ability

agree!

too bad, but this seem to be always the case, you have some big potentials, you don't get much attention until you take the wrong path.

cheers!

Dear Readers and message repliers.

I also heard besides this genius mind, that in armenia, I.T experts were the people who invented the Bluetooth that is used on phones and p.c's.
But what is upsetting is that this person may have done the wrong thing to make money, but when you have jackals like american corporations who have basically bribed armenian I.T experts into pocket change rewards for innovation i dont think they would have any other choice, these armenians are extremely intellingent and the american I.T corporations in armenia have a base in that country with armenian IT people working to invent things. all they get is a measly 5k for it, i doubt the bluetooth invention was worth 5k to the genius who invented it while the americans got billions or millions in profit. Isnt this slave labour and bribery ? Yes it is.
thanks for reading, now you are all aware !
Regards
Steven Z.

@Guest/Steven - ??? Pretty sure Swedes invented bluetooth for the Swedish company Ericsson.

I still don't know the joy of earning millions of dollars while staring at my computer screen. I guess I'll never know.

But still, I wonder, why these brilliant people couldn't earn their fortune in a legal way. Anyway, at least there'll be some less spam in the world now I guess!!!

It is exhilarating to read this article. If everything is legal in this world, where's the fun in it?! No offense to you dear readers. Just kidding. Of course, I still prefer legal geeky activities just like the facebook.com business. The accidental billionaires. What do you think?

This guy could have had a clean life and also made more money if he was doing something legal. He could have had a very successfull career in the computing industry. Why is it that a lot of these cybercriminals have something to do with russia?

It's too bad these people can't use their inteligence in a beneficial way. But it is amazing that people don't take better care of their computers with AV/firewall/malicious software protection.

Its crazy to think that this person made this much money from viruses. I hope this dude goes to jail a long time.

With all the money being made it's no wonder there's so much cyber-crime. This is probably not too unusual either. Some of the companies making that scareware malware rake in millions and millions.

just shows how fast these criminals operate. this is a showcase on how vulnerable our pc's are. imagine how much money they harvest for doing something unwanted. considering his age im guessing he's a real genius. making millions at that young age is just amazing. he should have put his knowledge to good use

It just goes to show that with a bit of knowledge and no fear of the police you can make tons of money. is it that hard to have a antivirus installed? (and it's painfully clear that for many the answer is yes)

Uhm, some of you seem to be forgetting he got caught and is going to get stripped of all his earnings, thrown in a Russian jail for a few years, and come out with a criminal record and possibly some sort of restriction on his access to computers. Yeah, he made a ton of money, but now the rest of his life is ruined basically; happens to the majority of the most successful career criminals (that or getting murdered by rivals).

I know a cybercriminal too, though he's not a botnet master. He's making 10k $ a month, and the hilarious part is that he's like "it's no big deal". I'm sad because I knew him about a decade and couldn't guess he'd earn so much now.

I would have done samething. But, i would have lived in Sweden where jails are much nicer.

I would kill to make that kind of money every month but i wouldn't want to earn it that way. I have never understood people who hack others computers you know if you did it to them they would be pissed off.

Back