Sam Bankman-Fried has been sentenced to 25 years in prison

Status
Not open for further replies.

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Sam Bankman-Fried, the founder of FTX and self-proclaimed "crypto king" who was found guilty on seven counts of criminal fraud and money laundering over the collapse of the once-popular cryptocurrency exchange, has been sentenced to 25 years in prison. Bankman-Fried faced a maximum of 110 years behind bars for his crimes.

On November 2, following a month-long trial, it took a jury around three to four hours to find Bankman-Fried guilty on the seven fraud and conspiracy counts related to the collapse of FTX and related hedge fund Alameda Research.

Bankman-Fried was convicted on charges of securities fraud, wire fraud and money laundering, as well as conspiracy to commit wire fraud and securities fraud. He had pleaded "not guilty" to the charges, but the 12-person jury found him guilty of stealing $8 billion from cryptocurrency customers while company investors lost $1.7 billion.

The sentencing guidelines range for Bankman-Fried were increased by Judge Lewis Kaplan after it was found that he had perjured himself at his trial and knowingly obstructed justice. Kaplan found that Bankman-Fried lied on the witness stand at his trial last year when claiming he did not know that his hedge fund had spent FTX customer deposits

It was always unlikely that Bankman-Fried would receive the full 110-year sentence, but prosecutors still wanted him to serve between 40 and 50 years. His defense team asked the judge for between five and six-and-a-half years.

At the New York sentencing, Bankman-Fried's lawyer said his client meant no harm to FTX customers. Lawyer Marc Mukasey said Bankman-Fried was not a "ruthless financial serial killer who set out every morning to hurt people."

Mukasey asked for a lenient sentence, arguing that FTX customers will get most of their funds back. Kaplan rejected his claim that investors would be paid back in full through the bankruptcy process.

"The defendant's assertion that FTX customers and creditors will be paid in full is misleading, it is logically flawed, it is speculative," Kaplan said. "A thief who takes his loot to Las Vegas and successfully bets the stolen money is not entitled to a discount on the sentence by using his Las Vegas winnings to pay back what he stole."

FTX's caretaker CEO John Ray III said that Bankman-Fried's claim that "the harm to customers, lenders and investors is zero" is "categorically, callously, and demonstrably false." He added that Bankman-Fried was living a "life of delusion."

Bankman-Fried said he will appeal his conviction and sentence, stating that he never intended to steal customers' funds. He apologized to his former colleagues at FTX during his sentencing hearing.

"They put a lot of themselves into it, and I threw that all away," Bankman-Fried told Judge Kaplan. "It haunts me every day."

"I'm sorry about that. I'm sorry about what happened at every stage. Things I should have done and said, things I shouldn't have," Bankman-Fried added.

When handing down the 25-year sentence, Kaplan said Bankman-Fried had shown no remorse for his crimes. "He knew it was wrong," Kaplan said. "He knew it was criminal. He regrets that he made a very bad bet about the likelihood of getting caught. But he is not going to admit a thing, as is his right." The judge added that Bankman-Fried's persistence and marketing abilities meant that it was "not a trivial risk" he would commit crimes again in the future.

Permalink to story.

Wouldn't be surprised if the prosecution appeal to give him a harsher sentence to make sure he serves as a (good, keep in mind) example to all the other crypto people that jail time is definitely an option if they delive jnto any fraud or the like, his defense only wanting 5 to 6 years because he "could" is a classic laughable white collar crime defense, so glad they gave him 25 years at least.

He will appeal - probably get it to 20 or so… then, he gets 1/3 off for good behavior… so he’ll probably serve 13-14 years tops…
I think the "1/3 off for good behavior" is a (some) states thing - I believe the federal system that applies to SBF offers 15% off max. I'm also not sure it's that common for the federal appeals process to reverse a sentence that was well within the guidelines, as this one was. I guess there's a chance his lawyers could argue the first court applied the wrong guidelines or used incorrect inputs for them, but I haven't seen much discussion of reversible error in that area so far.

25 years today, then 15 years on another appeal, then 7-8 years with good behaviour, then back to being a total scumbag living the life of luxury.

US jokestice system at it's finest.

This is federal court, not state court. The average fed felon serves 85% of his sentence.

So, if SBF is average, he will serve 21 years.
AVERAGE... but this is a really wealthy white person who has committed a white-collar crime... don't think average applies here...

He may probably be going to a Federal prison Camp, minimum security for non-violent crimes. No extensive fencing around the camp, offenders have more freedom, more control of their movements. Some refer this as camp cupcake. Mostly rich people go here like Martha Stewart.

Last edited:
Would’ve gotten 5-6 years in Norway - would be out after 3-4.
The prison sentence will probably just vastly increase the value of his stashed away cryptocurrency.
They should prevent him from leaving the country when he gets out, and to have him document every dollar he spends until he slips

And everyone else involved got zero years, especially the people who actually took the money from FTX and gambled it away.

There was no real justice here. Alameda traders are the ones who gambled the FTX funds away while high on amphetamines and all of them got zero years. They made freid take the fall for them. They should all be doing 7-10 years, not him taking the fall for all of them.

But I'm sure all of those people have returned the funds they got from him :)
It wasnt just democrats but some democrats have announced they will be returning the donations... but not the GOP donations. Lets at least tell the whole story. Sam admitted he donated equally to GOP and Democrats. Does this change your comment?

"Just days before the cryptocurrency exchange FTX filed for bankruptcy, the company’s co-CEO Ryan Salame wrote a $500,000 check to the Republican Governors Association, the main campaign arm tasked with electing GOP executives across the country.
The donation was not a radical move on Salame’s part. He was, at the time, an emerging prolific GOP donor who gave more than $23 million to federal candidates and PACs in 2021 and 2022, according to FEC records. But with the fall of FTX and the arrest of Salame’s co-founder Sam Bankman-Fried, a new layer of scrutiny has been placed upon the campaign contributions that emanated from the leaders of the failed crypto empire.

A number of Democratic candidates have announced their intentions to return donations from Bankman-Fried. The RGA, however, appears to have kept Salame’s funds. A spokesperson for the group declined to comment on that specific donation. Unlike Bankman-Fried, Salame was not indicted.

The $500,000 donation from Salame was part of a $28.6 million haul that the association brought in over the last three months of 2022, according to filings with the IRS."
Source: https://www.politico.com/news/2023/02/02/sam-bankman-fried-republican-governors-00080946

“I donated to both parties. I donated about the same amount to both parties,” Bankman-Fried told the crypto commentator and citizen journalist Tiffany Fong.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/technol...aire-sam-bankman-fried-dark-money-republicans

Sam admitted he donated equally to GOP and Democrats. Does this change your comment?
Oops! In actuality, when pressed by an interviewer on why his donations went to Democrats, Bankman-Fried claimed he'd also donated "secretly" to Republicans -- but the public filings tell a different story. In the 2022 election cycle, Bankman-Fried gave a total of $39.8M to various campaigns and PACs, only $235K of which went to Republicans -- or 0.6%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back