Samsung combines security IC with biometrics in new payment card solution

Daniel Sims

Staff
In brief: This week, Samsung introduced a new solution for payment card security. It combines a fingerprint sensor, a security chip, and other elements to streamline card authentication while also adding another layer of protection.

Samsung's fingerprint sensor, called S3B512C, adds a new layer of security when combined with a security chip and secure processor. It’s mainly meant for payment cards, but Samsung says it can also work for other kinds of authentication like employee IDs or membership cards. The authentication tech should allow users to use their cards without entering their PIN.

Samsung calls this the world’s first security chip that reads fingerprint information. It uses the Secure Element to store and authenticate encrypted biometric data then analyzes it with its Secure Processor. It has also been certified for EMVCo and Common Criteria Evaluation Assurance Level 6+. The tech works with Mastercard’s latest Biometric Evaluation Plan Summary for payment cards.

Last August, Mastercard said it would start phasing out old magnetic strip authentication in favor of more secure chips beginning in 2024, though it won't entirely remove the strip until 2033. Still, there have been reports of hackers simply brute-force guessing payment card numbers and then selling them on the dark web. That is one area that fingerprint authentication cannot address.

Permalink to story.

I was actually wondering how long it would be till cards were made with embedded fingerprint scanners.

Thing is, I've really gotten used to paying with my iPhone or applewatch - without having to pull out my wallet.

What is the percentage of online vs in-person credit card purchases? How does this help online purchases? I’m less worried about someone stealing my physical card than my virtual card

Your card is like money - It's amazing how little security it has - yes I know banks/visa run analytics on spending .
That fancy chip - Americans just getting - put the wrong end of the card into a hand terminal 2 or 3 times - whoops fail to scan - please swipe ( oh that reprogrammed cheap card is nice )
Blank cards cheap = Tick
Portable card reader cheap - Tick
3 or 4 digit CVV in high contrast - Tick
Only 16 digit number - first 4 your bank - Tick
Simple expiry date to remember - Tick
Password - on a standard touch pad - always same key placements - same length .as cheap bike lock -Tick
You can read someone entering a pin from 5 metres away - by hand movement .
Also camera, heat sensing , residue if pre-clean etc etc

Machines could have random number pad - why not - too many will forget PIN - as use muscle memory .

So scratch out CVV number - remember it .
Turn off all things you don't use in online app - eg for me on my main debit/visa atm machine, online, overseas , over X dollar transactions etc etc .

Yet we see friends lending cards , kids with a parents card - I just assume that account is always less than $1000 - as just weird .

There definitely needs to be more biometric checks of some type .

Amazing how many city council workers or people locking cabins with reasonably tough 4 to 6 tumbler locks use poor optics - just spin last number .
That summer cabin on the lock - probably 5 readings when folks leave - would give you a clue.
Or people with bike locks - when open - don't rotate code .
Yes with some easy to buy tool and a bit of training every yale/master lock is 5 seconds- plus snippers , bolt cutters . liquid nitrogen etc

Still think the funniest is people locking $3000 bike to tall lamp post with a serious Dlock or motorbike chain - come back 5 minutes later bike gone - the thieves lift the lamppost up - slip bike out - drop lamp post - probably tamp around it to hide how .

Back