Samsung denies Italian watchdog's claims that it throttles older phones

midian182

Staff member

Samsung has hit back over claims that it purposely slows down its older devices as a way of encouraging owners to upgrade to the latest models. Both the Korean company and Apple are being investigated by Italy’s antitrust body over alleged ‘planned obsolescence.’

The Autorità Garante della Concorrenza e del Mercato (AGCM) said both firms put into practice “a general commercial policy taking advantage of the lack of certain components to curb the performance times of their products and induce consumers to buy new versions.” If true, this would infringe on four separate articles of Italy’s national consumers’ code.

Apple, of course, has admitted to throttling performance in older iPhones with an iOS update. It says this is for the users’ benefit as it prevents unexpected shutdowns caused by degraded batteries, but that hasn’t stopped a number of lawsuits being launched against the company for not being open about its actions.

Shortly after Apple’s admission, Motorola and HTC said they don’t throttle smartphone CPU performance based on age. Samsung and LG eventually put out similar statements.

Responding to the probe, Samsung said in a statement to Nikkei that it "does not provide the software updates to reduce the product performance over the life cycle of the device.” The spokesperson added that "We will fully cooperate with Italian Authority for Market and Competition's investigation in Italy to clarify the facts."

Last week, Tim Cook said a future iOS update would allow users to disable the battery throttling Power Management feature, but that hasn’t placated the anger of consumer groups, including one in South Korea that has filed a criminal complaint against the Cupertino boss. The Citizens United for Consumer Sovereignty is accusing Apple of destruction of property and fraud.

Permalink to story.

Why do people keep saying this is "planned obsolescence"? It is the REVERSE of it. The #1 mechanical reason why people buy new phones is when their battery starts to fail them. Buy throttling, it makes the phone LAST LONGER when it has a weak battery EXTENDING the useful life of the phone which DELAYS the person from buying a new one. By NOT helping extend the life of the phone is "planned obsolescence".

Why do people keep saying this is "planned obsolescence"? It is the REVERSE of it. The #1 mechanical reason why people buy new phones is when their battery starts to fail them. Buy throttling, it makes the phone LAST LONGER when it has a weak battery EXTENDING the useful life of the phone which DELAYS the person from buying a new one. By NOT helping extend the life of the phone is "planned obsolescence".
People don't think their phones are obsolete when their battery lasts a bit shorter than it used to. They do think it's obsolete when it's starts being slow as ****. More people are bound to buy new phones because of throttled CPUs than because of shorter battery life, it's just common sense. Throttling performance isn't an answer to poor battery life, replacing the battery is a much better solution. It's especially bad if you hide the fact you slow peoples phones down.

People don't think their phones are obsolete when their battery lasts a bit shorter than it used to. They do think it's obsolete when it's starts being slow as ****. More people are bound to buy new phones because of throttled CPUs than because of shorter battery life, it's just common sense. Throttling performance isn't an answer to poor battery life, replacing the battery is a much better solution. It's especially bad if you hide the fact you slow peoples phones down.
I disagree, and I was in the cellphone business for about 5 years dealing with thousands of people a year. #1 reason was always "phone isn't lasting as long and/or shutting down before it reaches 0%" The majority of people do not use their phone for "speed", just as long as its not slow, and with throttling, the phones are not slow, just slower when they were new. Big difference. Ague if you wish, in the end, you are just wrong.

I have an S5.

I don't have many apps on it and it is MUCH MUCH NOTICEABLY slower than when I got it a year ago! As in...very, very slow in comparison.

It used to have the same apps (it's a business phone, so all my personal stuff goes on my tablet). And it was WAY faster than it has been the past few months. Battery aside...the performance is much worse.

In short...My anecdotal experience tells me that claims Samsungs updates don't slow their phones is suspect at best.

I disagree, and I was in the cellphone business for about 5 years dealing with thousands of people a year. #1 reason was always "phone isn't lasting as long and/or shutting down before it reaches 0%" The majority of people do not use their phone for "speed", just as long as its not slow, and with throttling, the phones are not slow, just slower when they were new. Big difference. Ague if you wish, in the end, you are just wrong.
I disagree but nevermind. The point is even if some people prefer performance over battery life they are getting screwed cause they are the minority and nobody told them they are getting screwed. Please don't try to spin it as a feature, if it was they wouldn't be hiding it.

Last edited:
I disagree but nevermind. The point is even if some people prefer performance over battery life they are getting screwed cause they are the minority and nobody told them they are getting screwed. Please don't try to spin it as a feature, if it was they wouldn't be hinding it.
I am not saying it is a feature, saying it is the opposite of "planned obsolescence".

Back