Samsung Galaxy Alpha Review: Going for the 'premium' look and feel

Scorpus

Staff member

samsung galaxy alpha review samsung review smartphone galaxy alpha

The Galaxy Alpha accompanies the Galaxy S5 at the top of Samsung’s line-up. The 4.7-inch device is a smaller alternative to their popular flagship, designed for people who place form at the top of their priority list. It’s also an experiment with metal, to see just how well it fits into the rest of a typical Samsung design.

The choice to focus on design has left the Alpha with slightly downgraded specs compared to the S5. You do get a powerful Snapdragon 801 or Exynos 5 Octa SoC with 2 GB of RAM, but the 12-megapixel camera, 720p display resolution and 1,860 mAh (7.17 Wh) battery are all weaker on paper than its bigger brother. Is the hardware trade-off worth it to gain the part-metal design?

While it’s not the first time I’ve used a metal-clad handset from Samsung, the Alpha’s design is a massive step up from similar smartphones Samsung has released over the past three years. Premium materials deserve to be integrated into a device that costs more than $600, and that’s exactly what Samsung has finally realized: cheap plastic just doesn’t cut it anymore.

Read the complete review.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a reasonably sized screen and 720p is perfect, you're not likely to find a 1080p on anything less than 5" simply because nobody makes them as far as I know. That said a 4.7" is still a bit too big for my taste and I couldn't care less about the superfluous heart rate sensor, it just adds to the cost. Lets wait and see what the A3 & A5 bring to the party.

Personally, I want 5.2 up to 5.5 inch version of this, with metal-back cover also with better battery :D

I don't know why anyone would pay 600 or more (off contract) for a phone. Nuts! Hey, your money...
There are so many good quality handsets that do the job for half of that. High end specs are like "more megapixels"....a myth. I use to think you "needed" the latest & greatest specs to do a decent job, but not any more. My "cheap" 300 dollar device, "only" has a 720p, snapdragon 400, JB4.3 but everything I run on it runs smooth, fast, display is bright, good signal, VERY long battery life (Huawei Ascend Mate2). I just don't understand the "need" to lay out that much for something...guess I'm frugal. The one that really makes me scratch my head are the people that buy a new device, then buy another new device 2,3,4 month later. Yeah, they can sell the old one, but I just don't get it.

Very interesting Review and comments about Alpha.
It could have been a great All Time Device.
IF Samsung releases A 100 , bssically an Alpha Pro or Alpha 2 with Note 4 specs,and Camera, SD Card
2800-3000 Mah battery etc.
FORGET the ridiculous

Back