Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Fandom Edition arrives July 7

Jos

Staff

Samsung is moving forward with plans to sell a refurbished version of its ill-fated Galaxy Note 7 handset. Dubbed “Fandom Edition”, the device will hit South Korea with a limited run across the country’s three major wireless carriers, and it will feature “upgraded components.”

It’s unclear exactly what else is changing under the hood but Samsung is expected to use a smaller battery to avoid any potential issues, taking the phone’s battery from 3,500mAh down to 3,200mAh. According to the Wall Street Journal, the company is preparing to release just 400,000 units which will be sold for under 700,000 South Korean won (roughly $616).

There are no immediate plans to make any refurbished Note 7 handsets available overseas but a small inventory may be released outside of South Korea.

As a refresher, Samsung had to recall around 3 million units of the Note 7 since last October after multiple phones caught fire due to defective batteries. Independent analysis also pointed to a flawed design that used batteries too large for their compartments but Samsung never acknowledged this.

The whole ordeal wiped a few billions from its market value in addition to the damage to its brand. Notably, however, Samsung was able to recover from the latter in record time, thanks in no small part to the Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus debuting to glowing reviews.

While there was some uncertainty as to whether the Note brand was doomed after the exploding handsets fiasco, we now know that won’t be the case as Samsung is readying a Galaxy Note 8 for release around September — right around the time Apple is expected to release a new iPhone.

Permalink to story.

Only clueless people would ever buy this. Time for meme.......

maxresdefault.jpg

$620 for a refurbished, year old phone that cost $700 brand new??? They're kidding, right? Yeah, they have to be. Nobody in their right mind would take that deal seriously as far as I'm concerned. If they sold them for about $300-$350 it would sound a bit more plausible.

Only clueless people would ever buy this. Time for meme.......

Clueless? What you are really saying is that YOU don't trust them anymore. That's fine. I've been reading most of the articles and it's really not that big of a deal.... and the jokes are way overdone, you should know this....

$620 for a refurbished, year old phone that cost $700 brand new??? They're kidding, right? Yeah, they have to be. Nobody in their right mind would take that deal seriously as far as I'm concerned. If they sold them for about $300-$350 it would sound a bit more plausible.

Yea, there's the kicker. The price they are asking is just plain stupid IMO. I'd MAYYYYBE even stretch that up to about $500 for how I feel about it. But who would even if they could? The new note is coming out, and if you are dishing out that kind of money, may as well get the current year model.

Yea, there's the kicker. The price they are asking is just plain stupid IMO. I'd MAYYYYBE even stretch that up to about $500 for how I feel about it. But who would even if they could? The new note is coming out, and if you are dishing out that kind of money, may as well get the current year model.
Even $500 is a stretch. Remember they are refurbished and year old models already irrespective of a "few, new upgrades".
How much do you think you could sell an immaculate, albeit slightly used S7 for now? $250 tops??? And that was a $600 phone brand new at retail. I think Samsung has lost their marbles but they understand their population and market a lot better than I do so just maybe...

Even $500 is a stretch. Remember they are refurbished and year old models already irrespective of a "few, new upgrades".
How much do you think you could sell an immaculate, albeit slightly used S7 for now? $250 tops??? And that was a $600 phone brand new at retail. I think Samsung has lost their marbles but they understand their population and market a lot better than I do so just maybe...

Yea, definitely a stretch (as I mentioned.) I'm imagining they are 'Like new' and have all original accessories, WITH the plastic still on the front and back for you to peel off, too. If not, yea.... no. You are pretty much right on it with the s7, one sold for $282 June 28th, but that is the highest recently, the others are below that (unless it's unlocked)

Peeling off that plastic it what makes it a deal! /sarcasm

Edit: The Buy it Now prices on eBay are kind of ridiculous though. But of course there's no way to know if those are actually going to sell at those prices. (most likely not)

Clueless? What you are really saying is that YOU don't trust them anymore. That's fine. I've been reading most of the articles and it's really not that big of a deal.... and the jokes are way overdone, you should know this....

Its a big deal if a flawed device brings tragedy to people. This is the reason why they wont allow this to be sold in north america. Without releasing any updates what they changed internally OFFICIALLY then this device should be burried. Even if it is rumored they changed the battery to a lower capacity, they did that before saying it is a battery supplier problem and changed manufacturer but still they exploded. Will you still trust this device. Only clueless people, people not aware of the real issue, the issue of a flawed design, would buy this. Just like the name suggest - fandom.

Oh the memes, if you dont like it you are free to ignore it. You can't please everyone. I will still post whatever I like.
Here is another one. Bring on the likes!
mY2WMEi.jpg

Its a big deal if a flawed device brings tragedy to people. This is the reason why they wont allow this to be sold in north america.

This I can't argue with. However, I don't see definitive evidence that this is specifically why they won't sell them in America. Maybe I've missed some articles, I'm not afraid to admit I'm wrong. I'd like some links if you've got them. If not, we'll chalk that up to just your opinion.

Even if it is rumored they changed the battery to a lower capacity,

This was the problem. I mean... I guess depending on what/who you choose to believe.

they did that before saying it is a battery supplier problem and changed manufacturer but still they exploded.

From my understanding they changed suppliers, they did not change the actual size/capacity. Now they have, fixing the major issue with the device.

Will I trust it? We are all talking hypothetically anyways... but to answer that, simply no. I wouldnt buy one. Trust it? Trust can mean different things. I bank online, but do I trust them with my data? No. I use my cards and put my info all over the internet, but do I trust them? No.

I DID purchase the s8+, it's great/hasnt exploded. I really don't think Samsung would want to re-release something that is going to keep exploding and damaging their rep. Would I still buy one (for the RIGHT PRICE? Possibly.) But we are too close to the Note 8, so back to NO, I would NOT buy one. This is all opinions regardless.

I suppose time will tell. If they keep exploding. I'll write you a hand written apology saying how much of an ignorant a** I am to even reply to your initial comment. ;)

Oh the memes, if you dont like it you are free to ignore it. You can't please everyone. I will still post whatever I like.
Here is another one. Bring on the likes!

Lets see if you get more than the one 'like' you got from me. lol

Again, if you can source any of your information I will apologize and back down. I'm not a d*ck who attacks anyone who says I'm wrong. I just like to differ facts from opinions.

Edit: I've got to admit, I actually did like that one. Also that was probably a very poor comparison about the whole trust thing. Do I trust my s8 won't explode? Well, I really hope not, but the possibility is always in the back of my mind... I still did buy one though. And I don't post to get "Likes." lol

Last edited:
Yea, definitely a stretch (as I mentioned.) I'm imagining they are 'Like new' and have all original accessories, WITH the plastic still on the front and back for you to peel off, too. If not, yea.... no. You are pretty much right on it with the s7, one sold for $282 June 28th, but that is the highest recently, the others are below that (unless it's unlocked)

Edit: The Buy it Now prices on eBay are kind of ridiculous though. But of course there's no way to know if those are actually going to sell at those prices. (most likely not)
I'm sure they'll flog them with all the accessories including all the "Warning" paperwork which nobody will bother to read and even reseal the boxes but I wouldn't bet on them rewrapping the devices in that sticky, peel off plastic again. They might.

Slightly OT, but thought I'd quickly mention that the 'completed listing' search option, from the advanced search page on Ebay let's you know whether buy it now prices are reasonable, or more "aspirational"... *** a tight-***, I find it to be a very useful feature :)

Well it is the Fandom Edition. That right there means there need be no logical reason to buy one or want one.

Back