Samsung Galaxy S II coming to the UK on May 1, 2011

Emil

Staff

Samsung Electronics has announced that the Samsung Galaxy S II (model: GT-I9100) will arrive in the UK on May 1, 2011 across all major networks and retailers. There's no release date for the rest of Europe yet, but given the excitement surround the device, we'll be keeping our eyes peeled.

The company has also confirmed that the Galaxy S II will run Android 2.3 (codenamed Gingerbread) and feature a dual-core 1.2GHz processor. It will be the first handset to offer Samsung's Super AMOLED Plus screen technology, which the company is touting as "the largest, brightest and most colorful screen available in Samsung's portfolio of devices."

The Galaxy S II is the company's thinnest phone at 8.49mm and a weight of just 116g. The device features a 4.27-inch Super AMOLED Plus display (800x480 resolution), an 8MP primary camera with 1080p video capture, and a 2MP camera in the front, as well as integrated NFC support on some versions. It also features the usual BlueTooth 3.0+HS and HSPA+ connectivity.

The new Live Panel allows you to aggregate web, social networking, and app content to a single customizable home screen. You'll be able to switch between three adjacent home screens by simply pressing and holding on the screen. The device will come with four new content and entertainment hubs: music, games, e-reading, and social networking. Samsung has yet to announce pricing details, but we're betting they will be similar to the original Samsung Galaxy S.

"From the moment it was revealed at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona there has been a huge buzz about the Galaxy S II, so we're pleased to announce that it will be available for UK customers to buy from 1st May," Simon Stanford, Samsung UK and Ireland's Managing Director of Mobile, said in a statement. "Our slimmest, lightest, fastest smartphone is our first device to offer of Super AMOLED Plus screen technology, alongside the most advanced technical specifications including the latest Android OS and a dual core processor. We're confident it's a great package for anyone wanting a superior smartphone experience."

Permalink to story.

I hope it doesn't carry any baggage (read issues) from the original SGS. By the way Emil, I've heard/read that Samsung has 'limited' FPS rate on this device (through software); is that true?

archean said:
I hope it doesn't carry any baggage (read issues) from the original SGS. By the way Emil, I've heard/read that Samsung has 'limited' FPS rate on this device (through software); is that true?
Considering it's not out yet, I'm not going to confirm or deny this. If it is true, I'm sure we'll be able to bypass the limitation just fine.

Fair-enough, I guess it will be interesting to see how Samsung's Exynos competes with Tegra 2 when the final product is launched.

Hmm, I am currently using an SGS i9000, I'm not so sure about limited FPS rate, never quite experienced that... then again the moment I got my phone I rooted and flashed it within a few hours after playing around with stock.

So far the phone's really great, and I'm really looking forward to the SGS 2.

What were the "issues" encountered with the phone? Its got me semi curious.

Well to make long story short, the issues I encountered with it were:

1) Lots of Force Closures/crashes; it turned out that most of these were caused by Touch Wizard UI Samsung placed on top of Android along with the default Messaging App. Since I've replaced both (after much trial and error and pain I must say) things improved considerably.

2) The other issue is never solved i.e. it just doesn't want to connect with any PC via USB cable, only thing it would do is 'charging'.

The second issue is rather not so un-common; I've been using Android Wifi Manager to get around this issue, but one thing which it can't do is 'upgrade' the OS; I got Froyo on it by sending it back to Samsung; and I guess when they will release Gingerbread for it the same will have to be done again.

My general impression is the basic concept of Android i.e. 'open source' and all is commendable but it also means there can be issues depending upon quality of the software any device manufacturer places on their products; and, well the default UI just seemed to be 'diet copy' (to put it mildly) of iOS.

As long as the price and reviews will be as expected, this should be a nice upgrade from a Nokia. Hopefully it will be as good as it looks on paper.

2) The other issue is never solved i.e. it just doesn't want to connect with any PC via USB cable, only thing it would do is 'charging'.
My brother has the same issue. He said he thinks the port rusted from "sweating in his pocket". Don't know if that should be the case, his phone is 5 months old. My Crappia (nokia) is 2 years old and mine doesn't rust.

@captain
Mine is doing this from day one, so there isn't any rust involved here. If it was rusting, it shouldn't charge either ...... so I am sorry but I can't agree with that assertion.

Hmmm okay, I'm running Darky's rom and I have never encountered those problems you've stated in the above... :x Froyo 2.2.1 here with Dark Kerne.

Back