Samsung Galaxy S21 leak suggests there's little difference from its predecessor

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: Consumers have complained about a lack of innovation in the smartphone industry for years, with the latest models often just iterative updates on their predecessors. If new information turns out to be accurate, nowhere will that be truer than with Samsung’s next entry in its S-series flagship line.

According to leaker Ishan Agarwal and 91Mobiles, the Galaxy S21 Ultra, which could be called the S30 Ultra, shares a spec sheet that’s quite similar to the S20 Ultra.

The upcoming handset is said to feature a 6.8-inch Dynamic 2K AMOLED 2x Infinity-O display—0.1 inches smaller but essentially the same as its predecessor. The 5,000 mAH battery is reportedly unchanged, and it comes with a 108MP primary camera and 40MP front-facing shooter in the hole-punch cutout—as is the case with the S20 Ultra.

There are some rumored minor upgrades to the S21 Ultra. The 120 Hz screen is said to jump to 144 Hz, putting it on par with the Asus ROG Phone 3 and Lenovo Legion Phone Duel. According to a recent leak, the quad-camera rear array has been given a slight redesign, blending into the side of the phone and lifted further from the frame.

Internally, we can expect to see the S21 powered by the Snapdragon 875 SoC in the US and China, while other regions will likely feature the unannounced Exynos 2100 processor. It’s expected to run the Android 11-based UI 3.0, and it might be available in just black and silver colors.

We’ve also heard that Samsung is bringing this year’s S-series announcement forward to January, with sales starting in February. And after Samsung mocked Apple’s decision to remove the power brick from the iPhone 12, expect the S21/S30 to come with a charger and headphones.

??Your #Galaxy does give you what you are looking for. From the most basic as a charger, to the best camera, battery, performance, memory and even 120Hz screen ✌️ on a smartphone. ??

Posted by Samsung on Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Smartphone design has been stagnant for a while now, and that’s reflected in sales figures—a situation that’s been worsened by the pandemic. People are reluctant to upgrade their devices at the same pace as before, and new phones that offer incremental upgrades are unlikely to improve the situation.

Permalink to story.

I just got an Note20 Ultra, and I've actually just sent it back because I was so disappointed. It wasn't a bad phone, but it was just not worth the upgrade from my OnePlus 6T. Sounds like I wont be saving it and going for the 30 series either.

My current data contract is £10 a month for 60GB Highspeed 4G on a phone I bought outright 2 years ago.

Note20 Ultra 5G 40GB contract was £50, it had a beautiful display but the high refresh rate is a gimmick. It wasn't much bigger in my hand but it felt uncomfortably big. The 5x optical zoom felt like a lie, I took a picture of my cat from my bed on both and the Note looked better, obviously, but it absolutely didn't feel like optical zoom, it just felt like high MP with zoom. The case I got stopped wireless charging from working (not the phone's fault, obvs but wireless charging shouldn't be hindered by a couple of milimiters of plastic) and tempered glass stopped the fingerprint scanner from working.
I would've kept that phone if it were cheaper, or my current phone was rubbish, but the truth is my 2y/o 6T feels almost as zippy and capable.

For the past few years it's just been incremental upgrades, no game changing features. We do have foldable phones now but they are expensive, not well executed and make you realise current smartphone design is fine. And why would Samsung innovate when they can sell you a slightly upgraded model for more money every year?

One can hope that cell phone companies will start to actually pay attention to what customers want in a new phone.

Having almost bought the S20 5G FE, I've decided to buy a second hand iPhone 11 Pro. So sick of the monster Android phones and 2-3 years OS updates. iPhone 12 was always a placeholder for the big changes coming with iPhone 13 and pricing is ludicrous due to 5G adding another $200 for worse battery life. The next phones should start to see finally 5G modem integrated into the SoC and better performance, and battery. I was thinking of waiting to see what the S21+ with Exynos 2100 is like but I'm really not into Samesung anymore. Only Android phones I would buy now are OnePlus but they won't officially release them in Australia so they are lacking 4G bands we need and features like VoLTE.

I wish samsung ditch curved edge and long aspect ratio screen.
it is bad for usability while increasing price by at least $50.

Back