Samsung Galaxy S6 Active Review: A Tough, Rugged Galaxy S6

Scorpus

Staff member

Of all the high-end smartphones released in 2015 so far, the one I keep going back to is the Samsung Galaxy S6. It’s a well-rounded device with great hardware, class-leading performance, a top-notch camera, and an attractive design. It may not be the outstanding financial success that Samsung was hoping for, but it’s certainly one of the best devices released this year.

That’s not to say the Galaxy S6 is without problems. The design, while sleek and sexy, is quite slippery, and the use of glass on the front and back of the handset makes it susceptible to damage when dropped. It’s also not water resistant, unlike its predecessor, which is a disappointment for those that enjoy underwater photography or gaming while in the shower.

This is where the Galaxy S6 Active comes in. For the most part, the S6 Active is a clone of the standard S6, as it features the same 5.1 1440p display, the same Samsung Exynos 7420 SoC inside, and the same 16-megapixel optically stabilized camera. But where the S6 Active does differ from the S6 is in its design, which is much better suited to surviving drops, harsh conditions, and liquids. The Active also features a considerably larger battery, which promises to deliver far better battery life than the standard S6.

Read the complete review.

I like the phone and nice review.
Even though that battery will significantly deteriorate after the first year and make the second year complete hell on the user, it is nice to see them slightly address the issue by putting a larger capacity unit in there.

I'm no fanboy. I use iPhone 6 Plus but I appreciate a good tech like Android. I know it, I've used it. My one problem with Android is that no matter how powerful it gets, its phones still lag. It's baffling.

"no microSD card slot."

So it basically makes a cr*p MP3 player then when travelling? Next...

AT&T unlocked my S6 Active because I was living in Australia, but they probably won't do this for everyone, especially those in the USA

AT&T unlocked my S6 Active because I was living in Australia, but they probably won't do this for everyone, especially those in the USA
When I was phone shopping, before I got my LG G4, I asked the guys at Verizon on when they would get the Active. Apparently this is not the first Active, but I never paid attention before. So it would appear that Samsung has made some kind of stupid exclusive deal with AT&T (at least in the US.)

When I was phone shopping, before I got my LG G4, I asked the guys at Verizon on when they would get the Active. Apparently this is not the first Active, but I never paid attention before. So it would appear that Samsung has made some kind of stupid exclusive deal with AT&T (at least in the US.)
It's obviously too late now but couldn't you have tried ordering it from somewhere else?... unless of course this model is only exclusive to AT&T only

It's obviously too late now but couldn't you have tried ordering it from somewhere else?... unless of course this model is only exclusive to AT&T only

It is, sadly, an AT&T exclusive. I'm sure that there would be a way but I don't know if Verizon would legally be allowed to act as my provider for the phone then. Either way, I'm happy with my LG. Samsung has been way too disappointing lately.

It is, sadly, an AT&T exclusive. I'm sure that there would be a way but I don't know if Verizon would legally be allowed to act as my provider for the phone then. Either way, I'm happy with my LG. Samsung has been way too disappointing lately.
Sammy's phones have improved a lot lately, almost to the point where they're the nicest out there but I'm floored by a lot of their marketing/business decisions. I mean how can they not sell the Note 5 in Europe and make the S6 Active an AT&T, in only one country no less, an exclusive? Then they still have the cheek to complain about dwindling sales and shrinking margins.

Back