Samsung Galaxy Tab sells 600,000 units in a month

Emil

Staff

Samsung has sold 600,000 units of its Galaxy Tab device worldwide, according to The Korea Herald. Since its launch on November 14, the device has amassed 30,000 unit sales alone in Korea, with the remaining devices being sold in 30 countries around the world, most in North America, Europe, and Asia. Samsung said consumer demand for its Galaxy Tab has outpaced supply in most countries.

Samsung seems to be on track to reach its target of 1 million units sold by the end of this year. The sales estimate is still short of Apple's iPad, which is currently dominating the tablet space; it had 95.5 percent market share in the previous quarter. Apple shipped 1 million of the iOS tablets in the first 28 days after launch. Samsung is planning to launch more Android tablets next year, but that won't be in time for this holiday season.

Running on Android 2.2, the Galaxy Tab features a TFT-LCD capacitive touch screen with a 1024x600 resolution, a 1GHz Cortex A8 Hummingbird Application processor, 512MB of RAM, 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 3.0, 3G, and dual cameras for capturing still images, videos, or making video calls. It also has a robust HTML Web browsing experience with Adobe Flash 10.1, as well as support for a number of different formats, including DivX, Xvid, WMV, and MPEG-4.

Permalink to story.

"most in North America, Europe, and Asia" Was something else expected?

But guest, I hear the phone is great

Guest said:
thinking of purchasing this phone...any comments?

I think it was already stated. It isn't a phone. Second it's fawful. Overpriced considering it runs on a CDMA network. No tablet that uses data should support no less than HSPA+/LTE.

kg363 said:
Yes there is a Samsung Galaxy phone. There are different models for the galaxy

Jesus christ. Of course there are galaxy phones. The article is not about a phone. It's about a tablet. Are you trying to confuse people?

He asked about "this phone" which could only mean the phone version. I said it was good. Others refuse to interpret the question and just take the literal meaning of the words. If anyone is confusing people, it is you.

Sure, it's selling a lot. Really! I'm not kidding.
Just check Amazon.co.uk, they are selling so many they have reduced the price to almost half.

kg363 said:
"most in North America, Europe, and Asia" Was something else expected?

But guest, I hear the phone is great

That's exactly what I was thinking... Kind of a pointless statement.

its nothing more than extra features and faster network. a human cant do much more unless they integrate a cpu into their head so the thoughts are relayed to the cpu thus recording in our brain..

The bottleneck lays in how much we can process/do on the phone, faster network wont really help you be more productive anyways..
So when are you getting your chip?

I went to a VZ store and handled one of these... nice device, feels pretty solid. However I still cant justify the cost for the limited functionality.

I've made calls on one. So yes, here in the UK, you can use it as a phone and it's fine.

More info:
It's not as nice as an ipad for web browsing, but I expect as Android improves, so will the browsing experience.
It beats the pants off the Toshiba Folio (if you need hdmi, there is an adapter for the samsung)
It's MUCH more convenient to carry around than an iPad / any 10" tab.
Once the price settles at a more reasonable level, and Android matures for this format, it'll be one worth considering.

Back