Samsung Galaxy TabPro S Review: A good first attempt at a Surface Pro rival

Scorpus

Staff member

When Microsoft first released the Surface several years ago, it was pretty clear that the company was on to something. It wasn’t a perfect device, but the portability and flexibility of the design – primarily a tablet but capable of transforming into a semi-functional laptop – made it more suitable to some tasks than the Windows products of old.

After a number of iterations, the Surface Pro has grown into a popular option for consumers, particularly students that want a portable yet functional tablet. So it’s no surprise that various other companies are starting to emulate the Surface design in their own products. There’s a market out there, and Microsoft is welcoming the competition with open arms.

The Surface competitor I’ve been using over the past few weeks is the Samsung Galaxy TabPro S. The name isn’t catchy, but there’s a lot to like about the hardware in this slim 12.0-inch tablet running Windows 10, including the AMOLED display and fanless Core M CPU on the inside. Samsung also bundles a keyboard cover with this device, because these sorts of key accessories should be included in the purchase price.

Read the complete review.

Hands down the Pro 4 over the normal Surface 4. The only problem is I have no idea why Microsoft made it with such a huge pixel count for such a small device, this is extremely troublesome when using additional screens.

I have a Samsung 4 tablet and a cheap Chinese cover with keyboard. It was less than a quarter of the price of Micro$oft's Surface pro. I have seen colleagues with the Surface pro and I do not see the advantage. Why?

Even though Surface Pro gets higher marks in performance, I only use the tablet/keyboard when I am out traveling and want something light to take. It is for basic typing tasks and not for graphics or heavy web surfing.

For desk/office tasks I have a powerful 17" screen Toshiba that basically stays indoors and does not move too far.

I fail to see the need for a super expensive Surface Pro for on the go. But then there are those who probably justify blowing the budget.....

If Android is your cup of tea for productivity then you are not even meant as a target for the Surface. On my end, I couldn't work on Android, as simple as that. Also, the surface is not meant to be a side gadget you take for trips, it's meant to be the one computer you use.

Back