Samsung invite suggests foldable Galaxy X will be revealed next month

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Reports about Samsung’s foldable phone have been around for years now, but based on an invitation for the company’s developer conference next month, it looks as if a prototype of the Galaxy X could soon be unveiled.

A few weeks ago, it was reported that Samsung had decided to abandon its plans to reveal the Galaxy X at the San Francisco event, but a recent cryptic tweet suggests otherwise.

The post includes the line: “The crossroads between the present and the future,” which does sound like Samsung has somethings special to show. What could be more telling, however, is the “>” symbol used in the animated invite. The way it opens out into a straight line does appear to be a subtle nod toward the folding handset.

Back in November 2017, it seemed that Samsung was getting ever closer to releasing the elusive device when what appeared to be a support page landed on the company’s website. This year has seen several South Korean publications report that the Galaxy X will launch in 2019, and DJ Koh, CEO of Samsung’s mobile division, recently hinted that it could be shown off at its developer conference.

It’s rumored that the Galaxy X’s OLED screen will measure 7.3 inches and can be folded down to 4.5 inches. The device could also pack a curved 6000mAh battery. One of the related patents filed by Samsung is for “artificial muscle,” which allows the components to move in sync with the screen to protect them from damage. The bad news is that all this futuristic tech comes at a price: the phone is expected to cost around $1800.

Samsung’s developer conference takes place from November 7 – 8.

Permalink to story.

So all the Apple-haters bash the $1000 iPhone... I can hardly wait to see the comments on a phone that's almost double the price :)

Except this is something that's actually new to the smartphone market.

All of Apple's and Samsung's latest releases have been just incremental changes and nothing worth noting.
Ahhhh... so you think that a folding screen is actually useful, and not just a gimmick... good for you :)

I would be VERY wary of purchasing a first-generation phone with this type of tech.... especially at $1800...

I know a few companies are also working on this - I'd wait to see what the competition has in store... or even better, wait until the next gen...

Except this is something that's actually new to the smartphone market.

All of Apple's and Samsung's latest releases have been just incremental changes and nothing worth noting.
Ahhhh... so you think that a folding screen is actually useful, and not just a gimmick... good for you :)

I would be VERY wary of purchasing a first-generation phone with this type of tech.... especially at $1800...

I know a few companies are also working on this - I'd wait to see what the competition has in store... or even better, wait until the next gen...

3d emojis are gimmick but foldable display allowing us to put 7 inch screen in space of 4 inch is really cool.
Price is pretty darn high and personally, I will not buy it right now as it is unproven technology but it is a radical change in mobiles if they pull it off.

With all that being said @Squid Surprise, what's most expensive today in phones is the actual screen (Like $400 screen repairs for the iPhone X's if you don't fall into the iCare stuff), so having two awesome panels plus all the technology behind them to make things actually work, the price does not look THAT steep...

Don't get me wrong, it is really steep for me and I wouldn't be getting one, yet. However it looks mighty impressive, I can only think about battery life and how the extra real estate can help.

My brother, who is broke days after each pay check, who changes his phone every six months, yet "can't afford a mortgage for some reason", will no doubt have this on day one.

There will be people lining up to offer new contracts to him, yet how would the worst person with money I've ever known, continue to requalify for such credit.

God only knows...

The highest end iPhone costs $1,499. I'm failing to see your point here.

I'm sure Samsung isn't expecting a lot of sales on this because of the price, and I'm sure Apple isn't seeing a lot of sales on their phone that costs $1.5k.

The highest end iPhone costs $1,499. I'm failing to see your point here.

I'm sure Samsung isn't expecting a lot of sales on this because of the price, and I'm sure Apple isn't seeing a lot of sales on their phone that costs $1.5k.
My point is simple: If you "hate" on Apple for having a pricey phone, you've got to "hate" on Samsung too - as they are now pricier.

Actually, Apple is seeing a LOT of sales on their top-end phones.... and I'm pretty sure Samsung IS expecting a lot of sales on this phone... otherwise, why on Earth would they release it?!?!?

The scary thing is I'm sure people will buy it...

I'll wait for 2nd gen products that come at a reasonable price. Not sure whether or not this tech will add anything to the experience but it doesn't hurt to try.

So all the Apple-haters bash the $1000 iPhone... I can hardly wait to see the comments on a phone that's almost double the price :)

You couldn't pay me, to buy one of these if they are over 1,000 bucks. I won't touch any smartphone, unless I can pick it up for less than 500 bucks. No, I'm not cheap, I just don't like being taken advantage of. With 200-300 build cost in most phones, then charging 60-70% HIGHER, screw that. I wait until a new model comes along, buy last years at a 40-60% savings, when they want to get rid of unsold inventory.
Gen 1 folding phones, you know will have bugs...nope, let the market/bugs/kinks get worked out and the price to come down. But the "trendy" types will jump on it.

You couldn't pay me, to buy one of these if they are over 1,000 bucks. I won't touch any smartphone, unless I can pick it up for less than 500 bucks. No, I'm not cheap, I just don't like being taken advantage of. With 200-300 build cost in most phones, then charging 60-70% HIGHER, screw that. I wait until a new model comes along, buy last years at a 40-60% savings, when they want to get rid of unsold inventory.
Gen 1 folding phones, you know will have bugs...nope, let the market/bugs/kinks get worked out and the price to come down. But the "trendy" types will jump on it.
You could pay me to buy it... I could then resell it and make a profit :)

My point is simple: If you "hate" on Apple for having a pricey phone, you've got to "hate" on Samsung too - as they are now pricier.

Actually, Apple is seeing a LOT of sales on their top-end phones.... and I'm pretty sure Samsung IS expecting a lot of sales on this phone... otherwise, why on Earth would they release it?!?!?

The scary thing is I'm sure people will buy it...

Apple was the innovator of the expensive smartphone industry. How do you think they made it to a trillion dollar market cap and have oceans of cash?

Now people are whining that phones are expensive because Samsung over did it with actual new tech.

Apple was the innovator of the expensive smartphone industry. How do you think they made it to a trillion dollar market cap and have oceans of cash?

Now people are whining that phones are expensive because Samsung over did it with actual new tech.
So by your logic, if someone does something wrong, it's OK, as long as someone else did it first?

Apparently you disagree with the "2 wrongs don't make a right" expression...

If you disagree with that, do you at least agree that "3 lefts make a right"?

So by your logic, if someone does something wrong, it's OK, as long as someone else did it first?

Apparently you disagree with the "2 wrongs don't make a right" expression...

If you disagree with that, do you at least agree that "3 lefts make a right"?

I'm not saying Apple is in the wrong. I'm just giving context to my reasoning.

Both companies make phone that are absurdly expensive, so when one makes a phone that's even more expensive, people shouldn't be surprised.

Back