Samsung officially announces pint-sized version of flagship Galaxy S5

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Do you like the Galaxy S5 but don't want to lug around a phone that is quite that large or pay that much? Fret not, as Samsung has officially announced a pint-sized version of its current flagship, aptly known as the Galaxy S5 Mini.

The smaller handset features the same perforated pattern on the rear shell and the same IP67 certification for dust and water protection. It also ships with a heart-rate monitor, a fingerprint scanner and the ability to connect with Samsung's emerging line of wearables like the Gear smartwatch.

samsung galaxy s5 mini

In terms of specifications, the Galaxy S5 Mini sports a 4.5-inch Super AMOLED display operating at a resolution of 1,280 x 720 (326 pixels per inch). Under the surface is an undisclosed quad-core chip operating at 1.4GHz alongside 1.5GB of RAM and 16GB of internal memory (expandable via microSD card slot).

Elsewhere, we find an 8-megapixel camera on the rear, a 2.1-megapixel shooter up front, 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi, NFC and Bluetooth 4.0 LE - all powered by a 2,100mAh battery. The handset will ship with Android 4.4 Kit Kat out of the box.

samsung galaxy s5 mini

The Galaxy S5 mini will be available in Russia starting in early July before expanding to additional markets at a later date. At launch, the device will be available in four color options: Charcoal Black, Shimmery White, Electric Blue and Copper Gold. Pricing wasn't mentioned in the press release but it'll likely come in around the same price point as the S4 Mini, so around the $400 mark. 

Permalink to story.

So this is practically a Moto G with "better" camera and microSD support?
Lets face it, how much different can it be? They're all basically the same with some irrelevant, unnoticable changes here and there. All it boils down to is which one tickles your fancy (and wallet). If you're using a slightly older model phone in this league, what's the point of buying this? But if it's your 1st smartphone or you're coming from a really cheapo Android, it makes perfect sense.
That said, given the choice between this and the full S5, I'd take this mainly because you're not missing out on much, more convenient size and most importantly, price.

And what is the price?? If it where in the same price range as the Moto G that would be awesome, but since it's the latest and hyped galaxy I assume it will cost a ton more having almost the same specs.

That was the point of my post.

And what is the price?? If it where in the same price range as the Moto G that would be awesome, but since it's the latest and hyped galaxy I assume it will cost a ton more having almost the same specs.
Read the last sentence of the article.

In terms of specifications, the Galaxy S5 Mini sports a 4.5-inch Super AMOLED display operating at a resolution of 1,280 x 720 (326 pixels per inch). Under the surface is an undisclosed quad-core chip operating at 1.4GHz alongside 1.5GB of RAM and 16GB of internal memory (expandable via microSD card slot).

Elsewhere, we find an 8-megapixel camera on the rear, a 2.1-megapixel shooter up front, 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi, NFC and Bluetooth 4.0 LE - all powered by a 2,100mAh battery. The handset will ship with Android 4.4 Kit Kat out of the box.
correct me if I'm wrong, there is no LTE radio in this ~400$ mini-me model?

Quad at 1,4 S5 mini vs quad 1,2 Moto G. For that you would pay a premium of $200?
Depends on which CPU is in S5 mini. It's not only about the clock speed, GPU is probably faster aswell, and it has a slightly better camera and more RAM. Maybe it's not worth $200 more but it's close. Would I pay the premium? Hell no, but lots of people will because it's Samsung and like iPhone, it's always overpriced.

Probably it has some software improving performance, battery save and what-not, but they are offering a sort of standard product for nowadays standards asking for a premium price, this is the stone in my shoe :p

You ALWAYS pay more just for a name even if it's product is no better than a competing product although I'm sure iFans wouldn't agree.

Probably it has some software improving performance, battery save and what-not, but they are offering a sort of standard product for nowadays standards asking for a premium price, this is the stone in my shoe :p
I also suffer from the same phobia you're suffering from so I know what you're saying but hey, you pays your money and you takes your choice, and you can have it in any colour you want as long as it's black (just kidding about the last statement);)

Back