Samsung officially launches the world's curviest gaming monitor

Humza

Staff member
In brief: Samsung unveiled its Odyssey lineup of curved high-end gaming monitors at CES this year and has now launched the smaller G7 variant, which comes in 32-inch and 27-inch display sizes.

Samsung literally went ahead of the curve with its Odyssey gaming monitor lineup revealed at CES 2020. The company has now announced the global launch of the G7 model, which boasts an impressive 1000R curvature for increased immersion, 1ms response time (GTG), and a 240Hz refresh rate on a 2,560 x 1,440 QLED display.

Other specs include HDR 600 certification, a 350 nit bright display that maxes out at 600 nits, as well as support for Nvidia's G-Sync and AMD's FreeSync Premium Pro. In terms of connectivity, there's 2 x DisplayPort 1.4, 1 x HDMI 2.0, 1 x USB 3.0 uplink, 2 x USB 3.0 downlink, and a headphone jack.

Apart from the monitor's rear I/O, Samsung has also given the back a unique look with what looks like a floating orb or an energy core powering the display. It isn't, obviously, but the hardware is part of Samsung's "infinity core lighting" system, which the company says can be dimmed or set to static during gaming, with support for up to 52 color options and five lighting effects.

The Odyssey G7 is now available to pre-order on Amazon, where it releases on July 13, 2020. Prices are set at $700 for the 27-inch model and $800 for the 32-inch variant.

For UK residents, the monitor comes out ten days earlier, priced at £550 (27-inch), and £630 (32-inch). They also can - apparently - pre-order the flagship 49-inch Odyssey G9 on Overclockers UK for a whopping £1,280 ($1,600+).

Permalink to story.

To answer your question: ARE YOU a fan of CURVES?

I own a 34" Curved Alienware 1440p monitor on a 2080Ti.

The benefit of the curve is, a gamer is typically going to be sitting close to it and directly centerline with it. Normally the curvature would be an annoyance to anyone sitting off center and normally, sitting less than 4 feet away from a monitor would make it feel too expansive. The curve really helps the experience of playing games.

Since these monitors are mostly 1440p, you also don't need very powerful GPU to run them so you are typically going to be getting high FPS even on lower end cards.

The experience is very good.

To answer your question: ARE YOU a fan of CURVES?

I own a 34" Curved Alienware 1440p monitor on a 2080Ti.

The benefit of the curve is, a gamer is typically going to be sitting close to it and directly centerline with it. Normally the curvature would be an annoyance to anyone sitting off center and normally, sitting less than 4 feet away from a monitor would make it feel too expansive. The curve really helps the experience of playing games.

Since these monitors are mostly 1440p, you also don't need very powerful GPU to run them so you are typically going to be getting high FPS even on lower end cards.

The experience is very good.

I have an uncurved ultrawide and really regret not getting a curved one. The edges are *just* far enough outside of my FOV that it's annoying to glance around.

I used a curved monitor for awhile but other than games it just was not practical. Now, using a flight simulator have two curved monitors sitting side by side and arranged to form the larger curve, was ideal and give a much better simulation to being in the cockpit, so there are certainly pro's' and con's depending on how you use them.

I used a curved monitor for awhile but other than games it just was not practical. Now, using a flight simulator have two curved monitors sitting side by side and arranged to form the larger curve, was ideal and give a much better simulation to being in the cockpit, so there are certainly pro's' and con's depending on how you use them.

After having gotten into DCS, I'd say the VR headset with a powerful GPU is the best possible immersion. The thing missing, however, is a way to touch the controls using augmented reality since none of these gaming monitors offer touch screens.

Just out of curiosity, what does owning a 2080Ti has to do with the topic?

They can't make a hardware post without pride and gloating they blew more money on hardware than most. You see it in post after post from this same person. This fact alone makes me not want to ever buy one. Or anything nvidia.

A curved monitor sounds cool, but I would want to experience it first. I suspect once you get beyond a certain size it may help to see wider without eye movement.

When I play FPS, I use the mouse to move my point of view rather than turn my eyes. Honestly I think you are sitting too close if you "need" a curved monitor. A lot of people think buying the fastest hardware will make them game better but it's most often a crutch for sucking. ;)

Curves on ultrawides, Yes.

Curves on 16:9. No.

The 16:9 curved TV gimmick died, the same should happen to curved monitors. They look ridiculous and are completely unnecessary and worse for many office application.

From my experience, a curved display is wasted on anything below 32".

When testing out monitors, I found the flat 32" felt too big on my desk, that I had to actually shift my gaze to the periphery far too often instead of being able to check it quickly out of the corner of my eye. However, the curved 32" felt perfect. The curve (1800R in the case of mine) was JUST enough to create that immersive feeling while somehow making the monitor "feel" smaller.

Curved TVs are stupid, however; you sit so far back that the effect is utterly wasted. For the curve to matter, you have to be close enough.

Just out of curiosity, what does owning a 2080Ti has to do with the topic?
Hes just showing what he has but also that its going to take a powerful gpu to run a monitor like that. While a 2070 or lower can run it, will it run the performance you like? Probably not.
This stuff isnt rocket science but some people just like starting sh*t.

One could ask why are you worried about him posting about his 2080 ti? Jealousy is what most will see.

Hes just showing what he has but also that its going to take a powerful gpu to run a monitor like that. While a 2070 or lower can run it, will it run the performance you like? Probably not.
This stuff isnt rocket science but some people just like starting sh*t.

One could ask why are you worried about him posting about his 2080 ti? Jealousy is what most will see.

I'm definitely not jealous trust me, my PC cost me around £3000, I lost count after I put custom loop in it and got a 2TB m. 2 nvme SSD few months ago but I don't need to bring it up almost every time I comment like this guy does, I'm not the only one who noticed and its getting a bit annoying that's all : -)

Looking forward to AMD new gpu with its hdmi 2.1 support so I can finally get this screen to run 4k 120 htz.
But honestly 2560x1440 120 HTZ is just fine to be honest.
LG OLED65C9MLB 65"
I wont ever buy another pc monitor after experiencing OLED

You get used to the monitor being curved.
I think there was a study where people wore special glasses that turned the eyes perception of the world upside down, the result was that the test subjects adapted and learned this new way as if it was normal and usual. So in our cases, a curved monitor is nothing the brain would not adapt to or learn to consider usual. Also, the monitor having curved edges is an advantage, because you basically see what is in front of you, in a better way, rather than seeing the edges. Is a tech worth giving a try.

Last edited:
Let’s not forget about the light bleed that is especially visible on larger and flatter screens. If a curved monitor can address this than I’m all for it ;-)

Back