Samsung outpaces Apple and Sony in notebook shipments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Cashing in on consumers' continued interest in netbooks, Samsung has pranced by Apple and Sony to become the seventh largest notebook maker. The Korean manufacturer shipped 1.9 million mobile computers worldwide during the early months of 2010, up 14.6% from the fourth quarter of 2009 and 95.5% year-over-year, according to iSuppli.

The company displaced two competitors during this first period of the year and also had the second best sequential shipment performance among the top 10 notebook players. The first was Fujitsu, who placed 10th with a 17.6% quarterly increase. Samsung expects to keep bringing additional business this year after opening up to sell mobile PCs in the U.S. market.

Company Q1 2010 Market Share Q4 2009 Market Share Change
HP 18.9% 20.3% -1.3%
Acer 17.5% 19.0% -1.6%
Dell 11.5% 11.6% -0.1%
Toshiba 9.3% 9.0% 0.3%
Asus 8.3% 8.7% -0.3%
Others 34.4% 31.5% 3.0%

Sure enough, HP ranked first, enjoying 18.9% of the market with a 1.3% decline sequentially. Acer shipped the second most notebooks, claiming 17.5% of the market with a 1.6% decrease in the first quarter. Dell placed third with 11.5% and a 0.1% loss in share. Toshiba's share grew 0.3% to 9.3%, and Asus took last in the top five, losing 0.3% of the market to end the first quarter with 8.3%.

Permalink to story.

Top Tier HP and ACER (Gateway) these are just fine laptops (notebooks) and netbooks. ACER is much more cheaper in price than HP. Although the race is on to see if HP can be over taken by ACER. DELL, Toshiba and ASUS are playing catch-up

I'm sorry but this is actually upsetting to see that soo many people will buy an acrap! I mean Dell are not exactly good by any standard but everything Dell do they do better than Acer and HP is completely out of this world! This is just price fixing by acer to get to number one, After working with them for the last few years I will never ever buy one as long as any other company that makes computers are on this planet.

To bad, to me ACER is top notch! Sure all major brands are not going to be A-1 but, I've repair many DELLs and actually own two that I keep going with spare parts of parts I can get off ebay cheap. DELL use to make very good Latitudes and originally back in the 90's had taken over AST to make the DELL laptops back then. HP was popular with Omi-Book back in 90's. Compaq before the merger with HP and prior taking over DEC Digital System prior. TI Texas Instrument Laptops were much better than HP prior. Toshia Tecra line was better prior. Today I don't know why quality has change with Toshiba. I have one of their Tecra Line 8000 still works today. That cost $4,000 back in 1998 PII 266MHz, 256MB of SDRAM, 256-bit GPU with 8MB of RAM. That can only run Windows XP Pro SP3. My point is the quality of the hardware is better back then. That model if I had taken out the HDD and stick it into one of my DELL Latitude C600 series the system can run off that HDD. You try that today with these modern laptops not going to work. Goes to show you how the cloning of brands were back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back