Samsung Series 9 arrives: lighter, thinner than MacBook Air

Emil

Staff

Samsung has announced that the 13-inch version of its Series 9 laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium is now available in the US through Best Buy, Amazon, Tiger, as well as other select retailers and e-tailers. The Windows 7 Professional option as well as the 11-inch version with Windows 7 Home Premium will become available in mid-April.

Both models come with 3 watt (1.5W x 2) stereo speakers, a lithium polymer battery that lasts up to 7 hours, as well as wireless 802.11b/g/n and WiMaxi. Here's where they differ in terms of specifications:

• 13.3-inch HD LED-backlit SuperBright Plus display (400 nit, 1366x768 resolution): Intel Core i5 Processor 2537M (1.4 GHz, 3MB), Intel HD GT, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2.89 lbs, Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) or Windows 7 Professional (64 bit)
  • 11.1-inch HD LED-backlit SuperBright Plus display (340 nit, 1366x768 resolution): Intel Core i3 Processor 380UM (1.33 GHz, 3MB), Intel GMA HD (Integrated), 2GB DDR3, 64GB SSD, 2.31 lbs, Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)

The laptop is clearly a viable MacBook Air competitor as it is just 0.62" to 0.64" thick. The price tag is still pretty expensive, however: the 13-inch with Windows 7 Home Premium is $1,650 while the Windows 7 Professional flavor goes for $1,700. The 11-inch doesn't yet have a price tag.

Permalink to story.

I'd take that over a macbook air any day. I don't see that price being too unreasonable for someone in the market for an ultra portable. The thing that kills the price is the SSD. I think they may have only been able to fit an SSD in there to make it as thin as it is.

That aside, I think I'd very much enjoy that laptop.

I love it how almost no one is complaining, especially about the price. Compare this comments to the ones when the Macbook Air was announced, even the tone is different:
https://www.techspot.com/news/40760-apple-revamps-macbook-air-adds-new-116-model.html

You guys really hate Apple :p

Although that machine does look great not even a naked Gisele Bundchen giving me the money can get me to buy a Windows machine.

I look at it with different goggles... Its not a Windows machine to me, its my latest portable Linux machine, and boy would it look nice having Linux spread across that laptops screen! :haha:

Expensive computer - windows + Linux = OK as its Linux. :D

I'm also a Mac owner. ;)

Cheek aside, my ideas of price for my portable computer needs have gone out the window in recent years. I'm much more interested in the devices function and portability than I am the cost so much these days. While I accept laptops will never truly have the performance of a desktop in every respect, I do expect the same sort of experience in everyday usage, and I often find myself getting frustrated with the performance of my everyday computers.

Fortunately (in this respect), I've been unable to work away from home for the last 18 months, so I haven't had such needs - I now pretty much use the desktop for everything. :)

I could definitely see myself getting something like this Samsung when I do start venturing out for work though.

Nice machine. I look forward to seeing a head-to-head with the Air by Anand. Not cheap relatively speaking but well-engineered technology like that found in the Apple machines likely never will be. Samsung support doesn't compare to Apple's but it does offer a 3-year warranty to balance it out. I wonder how it will run h-OS X and it would be nice to have a Linux option which could reduce the price somewhat.

Everything on sale today has a linux option. In most cases the best option is to do it yourself rather than rely on a half-effort from a manufacturer not really interested in whether the support is decent or not.

Even the lookalikes are realising they need to copy the price of the real "Air" these days. :haha:

Leeky said:
Everything on sale today has a linux option. In most cases the best option is to do it yourself rather than rely on a half-effort from a manufacturer not really interested in whether the support is decent or not.

I don't think you can buy this machine without paying the Windows tax.

I don't think you can buy this machine without paying the Windows tax.

If I remember a few court cases in our country (or maybe the EU) we can. We cannot be forced to use Windows. That does however mean we refuse the EULA, and at no point use Windows.

I've never attempted it though, and in reality the majority of people using a PC actually dual boot it alongside Linux anyway - though I have to admit I use it as a sole OS on my laptop purely because Windows only serves me for gaming.

Your reality is very different than mine in the U.S.

Sorry, I meant that slightly differently to how it came out. In my experiences the majority of those using Linux tend to dual boot it with Windows, rather than use it exclusively on every computer.

I wasn't implying most Windows users dual boot Linux as I have perhaps come across.

I could have worded that much better, sorry.

"in reality the majority of people using a PC actually dual boot it alongside Linux anyway"

Someone lied to you, buddy. The majority of PC users do not know what Linux is.

On the other note - way to expensive. Great machine with some muscle. I can't wait until some significant competition kicks in and drives the ultraportable prices to a reasonable level.

Back