Samsung Spinpoint HN-M101MBB/Z4 1TB cannot be detected

Dear friends,

I bought SAMSUNG Spinpoint HN-M101MBB/Z4 1TB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive and have been

trying to format it on different laptops(such as Dell XPS, Samsung, Acer and others).
The problem is that it is never detected at all so I can not format it neither install a windows os on it to be able to use

it.
What is wrong, why it is never being detected? (I put it internally of course)
Please help with advice, from the store I bought it they do not want to refund me the money back.

I connect the hd internally, installing it into the hd slot of the laptops, so it is a standard connection by default, keep

in mind the hd is internal.
But are you trying to tell me that if a new virgin internal hard drive is not being found by different laptops, then the hard

drive has something wrong and must be replaced by the store? they say that I am doing something wrong, that is why it is not

being found.
when I install it internally to different laptops, and when I try to start installing a Windows XP Pro os from a CD in the CD

drive, the windows installer starts to install but soon gives the message that there is no hard drive found, and cancels the

further installation.
in the Bios I always set the first boot to be for CD drive and second position for Internal HD.

THank you in advance!

Since it is unlikely that your notebook/laptop has a floppy drive you will have difficulty installing XP on a SATA drive because of the lack of native SATA drivers supplied with the XP installation disk. No supplied drivers, no recognition of the SATA hard drive. During early Setup you are given the opportunity to hit the F6 key to install third party drivers (I.e. SATA/RAID drivers) but XP only recognizes a floppy drive for this process. These SATA drivers would have to come from the laptop's driver support page at their website.

An alternative is to make a slipstream disk which combines your regular XP CD with the appropriate SATA/RAID drivers to allow recognition of your SATA hard drive by Windows Setup. Perform an internet search for the procedure to make such a disk.

Another alternative is to enter the BIOS and set the controller mode to IDE instead of SATA, that is if your laptop BIOS has that option. Many or most modern desktops do but I don't know about laptops. When set to IDE mode, XP doesn't need SATA drivers to continue the installation.

"
Another alternative is to enter the BIOS and set the controller mode to IDE instead of SATA, that is if your laptop BIOS has that option. Many or most modern desktops do but I don't know about laptops. When set to IDE mode, XP doesn't need SATA drivers to continue the installation."​
I agree with mailpup. That always has worked for me in the past.​

Back