Samsung to announce incorrect battery size among causes of Note 7 fires

William Gayde

Staff

Samsung has concluded its investigation into the cause of widespread faults with the Galaxy Note 7. According to a Wall Street Journal report, the answer to this burning question is irregularly sized batteries and additional manufacturing faults, with the company planning an official announcement for Monday morning (8PM ET). The full press event will be streamed live for those interested in the complete details.

To reach this conclusion, Samsung hired three independent supply chain and quality control analysis firms to investigate. The company used batteries from two different brands over the course of the Note 7's lifetime. Early devices used batteries manufactured by a subsidiary known as Samsung SDI. These batteries didn't fit properly and since Lithium batteries like this are extremely sensitive to puncture and excessive heating, they caused internal overheating and the subsequent fires. 

After this defect was discovered, Samsung began switching production over to a different battery manufacturer known as Amperex Technology. This switch and heavy pressure to increase production resulted in additional manufacturing issues. The exact details aren't known, but it was clear that the rush to produce an adequate supply and compensate for the SDI defects did more harm than good.

The whole ordeal is expected to cost Samsung around $5 billion as well as damage to its brand. Samsung has reported that at least 96% of devices have been returned, but there are still thousands in use.

Permalink to story.

So, the bottom line is they are blaming somebody else? I am guessing, considering their track record last year, they will be replaceing or retraining their entire quality control department(s) since this is something that any basic quality check should have revealed quickly. Hopefully all the other Mfg's sat up and took notice ....

Yeah, as expected. They are blaming someone else. well... this has nothing to do with me, I always recommend people to check some chinese smartphones (aliexpress, geekbuying, etc). you can find some great deals there.

Last edited:
This is what happens when you put $$$ before anything else. They're not the 1st company to do it and they certainly won't be the last. Anyway that's just part of the story, the rest will probably unfold over time, if it ever does.

So, the bottom line is they are blaming somebody else?
Did you even read the article? I see your comments on here and you always sound like you just read the headline and maybe half of the first paragraph. Where do you see Samsung blame someone else? The article clearly says the first battery issue was Samsung's fault (it was their own subsidiary making those batteries) and the second problem was STILL their fault because they were trying to rush to correct the first mistake.

Did you even read the article? I see your comments on here and you always sound like you just read the headline and maybe half of the first paragraph. Where do you see Samsung blame someone else? The article clearly says the first battery issue was Samsung's fault (it was their own subsidiary making those batteries) and the second problem was STILL their fault because they were trying to rush to correct the first mistake.

It appears that you do not understand the responsibility of any QC department .... I would advise advanced study of the subject ....

It appears that you do not understand the responsibility of any QC department .... I would advise advanced study of the subject ....
They made the physical size of the battery too large. These type of lithium batteries go through expansion and contraction cycles when charging and discharging. Since the battery was too large it did not have enough room to expand causing it to become punchtured against the I'm confined space of the the inside of the phone.

Either:
1) Samsung made the inside of the phone too small
2)they had the batteries manufactured to the wrong spec
3) the batteries ordered were not manufactured to close enough tolerances

Wrong battery size? No, correct battery size, IF you believe that Samsung tried to one up Apple, once they found out the size of battery in the upcoming iPhone 7, then told designers to increase the battery size in the Note7, to be larger than the iPhone 7.

Wrong battery size? No, correct battery size, IF you believe that Samsung tried to one up Apple, once they found out the size of battery in the upcoming iPhone 7, then told designers to increase the battery size in the Note7, to be larger than the iPhone 7.
I think You add up to a Samsung Apple flame wars, by blazingly fast putting the heat on Samsung. LOL

Fake News propagated by Samsung.

GJ coming in so late with this BS excuse.
R&D with Quality Assurance much ?

According to a Wall Street Journal report, the answer to this burning question is irregularly sized batteries
With every phone/device having it's own size and shape battery. Tell me which battery is not considered to be "irregularly sized"?

Incorrect battery size, or incorrect phone size...

Maybe now they wont feel the need to make the thinnest phone possible, and hopefully, they will make batteries removable again.

Oh, and kudos to Samsung for not blaming Trump. Seems all negative things that happen tech wise are going to be his fault now.

So, the bottom line is they are blaming somebody else? I am guessing, considering their track record last year, they will be replaceing or retraining their entire quality control department(s) since this is something that any basic quality check should have revealed quickly. Hopefully all the other Mfg's sat up and took notice ....
I think it might have been a management decision actually. If I remember correctly, they were finishing up (but not complete) quality control on the batteries+phones while manufacturing had already started and phones were in the market.

This is what happens when you put $$$ before anything else. They're not the 1st company to do it and they certainly won't be the last. Anyway that's just part of the story, the rest will probably unfold over time, if it ever does.

I guess they have that whole deny deny deny mentality from Trump.

they're both crooks.
For the record I was referring to Bill, and how many times he denied having sexual relations with Monica. I never believed him or cared what he did in his spare time. The fact that he found a need in denying it, is a characteristic you will likely not find in Trump.

The fact that he found a need in denying it, is a characteristic you will likely not find in Trump.
Look, I'm not judging you for supporting trump because at the end of the day we had two bowls of s*** to choose from and the only difference is the smell. Trump has lied about many things, but the Clintons have too so what difference does it make? I'm happy that Clinton didn't get in because it would have meant war with Russia, but I couldn't bring myself to vote for Trump either.

I am interested to see how a Trump presidency will work out because he is a true outsider to politics. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing but we'll know soon enough.

Well thank goodness! I was afraid for a moment there we would start using alternative facts ......

Back