Samsung to cut nearly 10,000 of its HQ staff after recent disappointing market performance

midian182

Staff member

Update: Samsung's chief financial officer, Lee Sang-hoon, has denied reports that the company is cutting 10 percent of its head office staff. Intead, he says it's just "standard relocating," staff from accounting, human resources and public relations will be sent to marketing or sales.

Samsung is preparing to cut 10% of its staff at the company’s main headquarters in Suwon, South Korea, according to a local newspaper. The move comes as Samsung’s smartphones continue to underperform, resulting in five straight monthly declines in sales and $44 billion being wiped off the company’s market value since April.

Samsung is said to be targeting almost 10,000 employees in the HQ's human resources, public relations, and finance departments, according to the Korea Economic Daily. The paper added the company also plans to cut some expenses next year.

The tech giant has seen its share of global smartphone shipments fall more than 3 percent in the second quarter. Even though the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge have gained overwhelmingly positive reviews, Samsung has still struggled to compete against increasing competition from Apple. Low sales of the company’s older devices have also been blamed on the slump, which has seen Samsung slip from its position as the number one seller in the world’s biggest phone market, China.

Chung Chang Won, an analyst at Nomura Holdings Inc. in Seoul, told Bloomberg: “Cutting jobs is the easiest way to control costs and Samsung’s spending on mobile business could also be more tightly controlled. Samsung’s preparing to tighten its belt as it isn’t likely to see rapid profit growth in the years to come.”

Samsung recently dropped the price of the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge after the devices didn’t attract the sales that were previously expected. The company’s stock raised 1.7 percent in Seoul after news of the cuts was released.

Permalink to story.

"Samsung recently dropped the price of the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge after the devices didn’t attract the sales that were previously expected."

You mean, removing the useful features ( removable battery, sd card)people used so they could make the back out of glass to impress review sites was a BAD long term strategy? who wudda thunk?

The latest disaster was called Galaxy Note 5, a device that is so much worse than Galaxy Note 4. The lack of MicroSD and removable battery turned most of consumers away right off, saying that Samsung just lost it. Others state that replacing the nice-on-touch leather-like back with a slippery and easy-to-crack glass one was moronic also.

They sacrificed everything good about Note series toward a small improvement in the looks, not even the feel, just the looks, and away with things people liked about Note series. Whatta dumb move, Samsung! They've just killed off their best product line.

After a bit of hesitation, I finally just bought a brand new Note 4, the best device Samsung ever made, according to most of reviews I've read, with Note 5 being a major disappointment.

Last edited:
Samsung makes of the best techs, could be the best if they weren't so deceitful.

It looks to me like they're cutting out the dead wood. It's not like they're laying off factory workers. I'd almost be willing to bet half those people couldn't even explain what their job is, (or rather 'was').

I know the term, "drones" has come to mean either US military aggression, or annoying flying thingeys, but once upon it meant an entire social caste in a beehive, for which nobody could figure out its purpose. These were the "Samsung HR & PR Drone Bees"....

Last edited:
Hahah I told them not to remove the SD card and removable battery...
How can a phone in 2015 not have SD card??? They deserve it!

It looks to me like they're cutting out the dead wood. It's not like they're laying off factory workers. I'd almost be willing to bet half those people couldn't even explain what their job is, (or rather 'was').

I know the term, "drones" has come to mean either US military aggression, or annoying flying thingeys, but once upon it meant an entire social caste in a beehive, for which nobody could figure out its purpose. These were the "Samsung HR & PR Drone Bees"....
I agree with you. They're not just cutting down on staff because sales aren't go as well as expected but a company the size of Samsung is bound to have a lot of clock watchers only collecting a sizeable paycheck, doing nothing else.

Really...It didn't take a genius to know that removing features that so many wanted and USED, would yield poor sales.
I'm gonna say it again: Samsung needs to fire ALL who agreed/voted for removing those features (microSD slot & removable battery). And when I say all, it extends to all on the board of directors.

But as we've seen with so many other companies, moronic people seems to be the only once in those higher-up positions. *sigh*

Back