Samsung to show off its amazing four-in-one washer/dryer at CES

midian182

Staff member

There’s going to be a lot of cool new tech shown off at CES this week, but some products are definitely more functional than exciting, such as the numerous washing machines at the event. Samsung, however, believes its four-in-one laundry system is "the most advanced, flexible laundry solution" ever made, and it could be right.

The FlexWash + FlexDry machine combines two washers and two dryers into a single system, each one designed for different situations. The main FlexWash front-loading washing machine offers five cubic feet of laundry capacity, which Samsung says is the largest in its class, able to handle both normal and bulky loads. But the best part of the FlexWash is the second, one-cubic-foot washer on top. Both sections operate independently of each other, and you can wash normal loads and delicate items at the same time.

Unlike LG’s dual-load Twin Wash system, the washing units in Samsung’s machine are integrated into the same body and don’t need two separate water lines. FlexWash’s internal separator sends the front-load water one direction and the top-load water in another direction.

Once you’ve put your laundry through a wash, simply stick it in the FlexDry section. Like the FlexWash unit, there are two parts to the dryer: the main compartment for heavy loads, and the Delicate Rack zone for delicates at the top, which adjusts the heat depending on what type of fabric is being dried.

Like most of today’s products, the entire system is IoT-enabled, meaning users can control everything from their smartphone using the Samsung Smart Home app. Hopefully, it doesn't also mean hackers can mess with your laundry cycles.

Samsung will no doubt be hoping that the FlexWash + FlexDry helps erase consumers’ memory of the 2.8 million washing machines it recalled last year, following reports that they were shaking themselves to pieces.

No word yet on how much the FlexWash + FlexDry will cost or when they’ll start to ship, but Samsung may reveal more at the CES.

Permalink to story.

In all my 35 years of life, Samsung is the only company I've ever known that had exploding Washing machines.

"To date, there have been nine related reports of injuries, including a broken jaw, injured shoulder, and other impact or fall-related injuries, the CPSC says."

You can't even make this stuff up.

So what's wrong with the good old fashioned rippled wash board and wash line. It's been a tried, trusted and true solution for millennia now. It won't explode in your face, is eco friendly and good exercise. Not to mention cheap as well and it adds plenty to hand lotion manufacturers wallets. What's not to like? ;)

A lot of moving parts and unnecessary features = higher cost and maintenance. I hope they tested it thoroughly.

In all my 35 years of life, Samsung is the only company I've ever known that had exploding Washing machines.

"To date, there have been nine related reports of injuries, including a broken jaw, injured shoulder, and other impact or fall-related injuries, the CPSC says."

You can't even make this stuff up.
Goes good with their exploding phones...

Front loading washers plain SUCK. Read the fine print, the front seals will grow mold if not cleaned and dried after every load. We switched back to a top-loading washer a few months ago and it's WAY better! I also checked several friends front-loaders and found black mold growing in EVERY single one of them.

Maybe Samsung accidentally quantum entangled their note 7's to their washing machines, when the phones started blowing so did the washing machines. Maybe putting a note 7 into the washer cancels out the risk rendering both devices safe, Lolz.

So is this thing going to explode like their other washing machines??? Or catch on fire like the Note 7?

Really? And they call this innovation? How about building something useful, such as a single box that does both washing and drying as available in Europe for decades?

Maybe Samsung accidentally quantum entangled their note 7's to their washing machines, when the phones started blowing so did the washing machines. Maybe putting a note 7 into the washer cancels out the risk rendering both devices safe, Lolz.

Quantum entanglement could also imply that if one were to blow up the other wouldn't, however, evidence suggest you are correct. That quantum entanglement is a tricky little bastard, I think my bladder is quantum entangled with everyone else. It seems that whenever anyone else goes to piss I have to also.

Anyhow, I'm definitely going to buy these when they are released, they are clearly going to make me a millionaire via a frivolous lawsuit.

Quantum entanglement could also imply that if one were to blow up the other wouldn't, however, evidence suggest you are correct. That quantum entanglement is a tricky little bastard, I think my bladder is quantum entangled with everyone else. It seems that whenever anyone else goes to piss I have to also.

Anyhow, I'm definitely going to buy these when they are released, they are clearly going to make me a millionaire via a frivolous lawsuit.
I must have one of those bladders too Lol.

I just don't get it. All you need is something that gets your clothes wet and soapy, and something else that dries them after. Why the hell do we need high tech washers and dryers that are thousands of dollars? The tech industry makes you think you need all these programmable buttons but come on...be smart. All you need is something to get them clean and get them dry. The more stuff you add, the more there is to break and the more expensive it is to repair.

Back