Samsung to slap Windows Phone on Galaxy S4 hardware this April

Scorpus

Staff member

If you liked the look of last year's Galaxy S4 but prefer to run Windows Phone, Samsung might have something that'll interest you. According to The Verge, the upcoming Samsung Ativ SE - which we've seen in leaks before - packs hardware that's similar to the Galaxy S4 i9506, and it'll run Windows Phone 8 out of the box.

Yes, apparently the Ativ SE will launch without Windows Phone 8.1 despite its impending launch at Microsoft's BUILD conference in the next few days. The handset will receive the update at some point after it goes on sale; an unusual situation for a Windows Phone, but not uncommon in the Android camp.

As the device is based on Galaxy S4 hardware, we can expect a 5-inch 1080p AMOLED display, a 13-megapixel rear camera, a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 SoC inside plus 2 GB of RAM, 16 GB of internal storage and a microSD card slot, and a removable battery. While the hardware isn't new or what we'll be getting in the flagship Galaxy S5, the Ativ SE should hold its own against top-end Windows Phones like the Nokia Lumia Icon and Lumia 1520.

The Samsung Ativ SE will reportedly launch sometime in April on Verizon in the United States. There's no word on pricing, or if we'll see the device outside the States.

Permalink to story.

This doesn't sound plausible, more like a genuine April's fool announcement.

Not only having different OS on the exact same hardware is unheard of, but for Microsoft it would be like a public announcement of dragging their feet behind Android, getting into some outdated hardware that Android is done with.

Hard to imagine how they would market something like this in a positive way. Therefore, I'm sceptical. After all this might be just a joke.

Last edited:
This doesn't sound plausible, more like a genuine April's fool announcement.

Not only having different OS on the exact same hardware is unheard of, but for Microsoft it would be like a public announcement of dragging their feet behind Android, getting into some outdated hardware that Android is done with.

Hard to imagine how they would market something like this in a positive way. Therefore, I'm sceptical. After all this might be just a joke.

Not long ago (prior to Nokia 1520), the top WP runs on 2 core of Qualcomm, so 4-core Snapdragon 800 is still a big HW upgrade for most WP users. Besides, it is consensus that WP runs better than Android on similar HW specs. Due to its OS efficiency, HW supremacy matter less than it does on Android phones.

A similar thought came to my mind the other day. I was actually looking at the new HTC and thought about the possibility of slapping Windows Phone 8 on it and how marvelous that would be.

Back