Samsung TVs are just one example of the many devices we use with eavesdropping concerns

Shawn Knight

Staff member

samsung tvs xbox kinect amazon echo xbox samsung kinect lg gm gm onstar

The past week or so has been a PR nightmare for Samsung. After news spread regarding the company’s questionable privacy policy as it relates to the voice recognition feature on some of its smart television sets, it’s now being reported that the voice data in question is transferred over the Internet in an unencrypted form which makes it vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks.

Such scrutiny has unsurprisingly led to investigations of similar practices among other companies. The verdict: Samsung isn’t the only company selling devices with eavesdropping concerns.

As outlined by Fusion, LG’s smart TV policy includes a statement that’s nearly identical to the one that landed Samsung in hot water. It states that if your spoken word includes personal or other sensitive information, such information will be among the voice information captured through your use of voice recognition features.

Several other devices that people use on a daily basis also have the potential to capture audio from its users.

GM’s OnStar privacy policy notes that it collects information like location, GPS speed, safety belt usage and other similar information about how a vehicle is used. Chevy’s latest Corvettes even have a feature called Valet Mode with Performance Data Recorder that allows drivers to spy on their own vehicles remotely and even capture HD video and audio from the car.

Amazon Echo, the personal virtual assistant unveiled not too long ago, is always listening in order to spot the keyword which is the name or phrase given to wake it up. Buried in the FAQ is the fact that Echo also captures a fraction of a second of audio before the wake word.

I’ll stop here for the sake of brevity although Google’s Waze app, Microsoft's Kinect and Hello’s Sense bedroom monitoring device are also highlighted.

Of course, none of this should really be all that surprising considering the fact that we all walk around with microphone and camera-equipped smartphones in our pockets and now, similar devices are being strapped to our wrists.

Permalink to story.

There is nothing wrong with "eavesdropping" as long as it is appropriate. What I mean by this is the following: Amazon Echo serves a purpose to help the user out. As long as it doesn't transmit the info like SmartTVs do, then IMO it is fine. As long as it does its task appropriately (and doesn't transmit data inappropriately) and alerts the users to its intents, then it is fine.

Plus, why would someone buy the Echo if they are unaware that it is constantly listening. Someone buys it because they are aware of its purpose and don't mind it "eavesdropping".

Agreed. Unfortunately, non-Smart TVs are impossible to find these days.
Not really. You just buy the leader item. I have a 46" "Insignia",(Best Buy house brand). I got it the Black Friday before last. It cost $330.00, at it's a stupid as a box full of rocks. It doesn't even have a program guide. I have to use Windows Media Center as a whazzon next? guide.

Anyway, I have a Toshiba Blu-Ray player. Every time you turn it on, it starts nagging that it isn't connected to the internet. Really, how stupid does it think I am?

The moral of the story is, hook up your TV to a simple antenna, and don't hook it to the web. Or is it just more convenient to come back here and whine about your privacy woes?

Back