1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung unveils its first 240Hz gaming monitor

By midian182 · 8 replies
Jun 11, 2019 at 9:03 AM
Post New Reply
  1. Unveiled at E3’s PC Gaming Show, the CRG5 features a curved (1500R), 27-inch VA panel and is G-Sync compatible. Like other 240Hz monitors such as the Asus ROG PG258Q, it comes with a 1920 x 1080 pixel resolution—Lenovo showed off the world’s first 1440p gaming monitor with a 240Hz refresh rate at CES this year.

Other CRG5 specs include a 3000:1 contrast ratio, wide viewing angles (178 degrees horizontal, 178 vertical), and a peak brightness of 300 nits. It also has a grey to grey response time of 4ms and some very thin side and top bezels.

As with most gaming monitors, the CRG5 comes with several modes tailored specifically for game genres, including FPS, RTS, and RPG.

While the monitor doesn’t contain a G-Sync chip, it does support Nvidia’s adaptive sync technology. This helps keep the price down, with most G-Sync monitors priced at the higher end of the scale.

Port-wise, it comes with a DisplayPort 1.2, two HDMI 2.0, and a headphone jack.

The CRG5 will be available this July from Samsung.com and "select retailers nationwide" for $399. That’s cheaper than the 24.4-inch ROG PG258Q, which is on sale for $479—though that model does have full G-Sync.

Permalink to story.

2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 4,397   +2,934

Next up, 480p monitor with 960Hz. I'm in!

I like my screen pixels as I do my night candles - fat and flickering.

3. Bas Keur

Bas Keur TS Member Posts: 24   +6

There's always this one guy .... still running turbotax on his trusy C64 with double floppy drives.

4. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,800   +394

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5. vayeate

vayeate TS Rookie

Curved. why? :(

6. Ray Marden

Ray Marden TS Member

4K or bust.

Also, get that curvature out of here...

I'm still surprised monitor manufacturers aren't doing more to compete against the cheap 4K HDTVs that are available from TCL, Sony, and other companies...

7. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 3,820   +2,173

8. netman

netman TS Addict Posts: 280   +87

Same goes for 1440p monitor prices not coming down after 2160p monitors came to market!!! There is price fixing going on among monitor manufacturers for more greed!

9. godrilla

godrilla TS Enthusiast Posts: 82   +39

At this point I was expecting 1440p 240hz displays at least in the pipeline. Dell's Alienware unveiled there 240hz gsync 1080p monitor 2 years ago. At least LG is innovativing forward with 1600p nanocell ips 1ms at 175 mhz oc ultrawide monitor coming soon.

Where is the hdmi 2.1 support from anyone as well?

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...