Samsung USA rolling out Android 4.4 'KitKat' to 14 devices

Scorpus

Staff member

Samsung USA has today announced that the rollout of Android 4.4 'KitKat' has begun for a wide range of devices. The full list of devices to be upgraded, included below, features all of Samsung's most popular devices from the past two years - including the Galaxy S III - so it's clear the software development team has been hard at work over the past months.

• Galaxy Note 3
  • Galaxy Note II
  • Galaxy S4
  • Galaxy S4 mini
  • Galaxy S4 Active
  • Galaxy S4 zoom
  • Galaxy S III
  • Galaxy S III mini
  • Galaxy Mega
  • Galaxy Light
  • Galaxy Note 8.0
  • Galaxy Tab 3
  • Galaxy Note 10.1
  • Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition

While all of these devices will see an over-the-air update to KitKat appear in the coming weeks, those who are using a Galaxy Note 3 or Galaxy S4 on Sprint or US Cellular should see update notifications today. It should be noted that list above only applies to United States carrier variants of the devices; people with international models will have to wait for information from the Samsung team in their locale.

Android 4.4 was first seen on the Google Nexus 5, and includes features such as an immersive application mode, the ability to select a default SMS app, a whole heap of new APIs and performance improvements, as well as visual changes. Most visual changes will likely be hidden by Samsung's TouchWiz skin, but users will be able to benefit from KitKat's other improvements.

Permalink to story.

Heaven alone knows how long it'll take to reach my country but it doesn't matter to me, I'm quite happy with Jelly Bum.

Makes me wish that I had a Samsung after HTC failed to come through with their Evo updates last year.

Run CM11. Had 4.4 for a few months now. Still better than Samsung cause of the stupid UI they throw on there plus all the generic bloatware.

No love for the now ancient Galaxy S2.

My first (and as of now only) venture into the world of SmartPhones: a neglected "Best of the Year" phone! - but of course: You are supposed to upgrade every year or so.....

Back