Samsung working on Galaxy Alpha to combat Apple's iPhone 6

Shawn Knight

Staff member

samsung galaxy alpha iphone apple smartphone iphone 6

Arguably the largest smartphone reveal in quite some time is expected to take place in just a couple of months when Apple reveals the iPhone 6. Other industry players are no doubt taking notice with rumors out of Korea citing a new, high-end smartphone is on the horizon for Samsung to combat the revised iDevice.

People claiming knowledge of the device told Korean publication ETNews over the weekend that Samsung wants to launch a handset known as the Galaxy Alpha in August. This would put Samsung's new device on store shelves before Apple has a chance to announce the iPhone 6.

The Galaxy Alpha will reportedly be Samsung's most powerful device to date, upending the current flagship - the Galaxy S5, which was just released in April. Other rumors suggest the Alpha may be the first Samsung smartphone to ship with a metal chassis, a premium material that companies like Apple and HTC have found a lot of success with.

Unfortunately, we aren't hearing anything yet in terms of hardware specifications and the like. That'll no doubt leak out in the coming weeks, however, if Samsung does indeed plan to launch the Galaxy Alpha as early as next month.

Apple and Samsung are by far the top two companies in the mobile industry. As CNET points out, they both sell millions of devices each quarter and collectively account for more than 100 percent of profits in the smartphone market once losses from other competitors are factored in.

Permalink to story.

Why did they even release S5 if they are gonna release this now? It wasn't much of an improvement over S4 anyway and the S line will not be their flagship if they focus on this Alpha.

Is Samsung a sandwich company?
I thought the S5 and note 4 are the latest smartphones to combat apple's latest iPhone.

while I'm not really an apple fan by choice and by necessity, I applaud apple's usual plan of releasing the 's' updated version.

Has anyone been able to determine if the iphone 6 is going to be revolutionary in any way shape or form yet? Or is it just going to be another iteration of the iphone with a bigger screen? Any confirmation on NFC? Is Apple going to do anything special with this phone?

Heh heh. I'm sure the folks who've just dropped a wad on a new S5 are going to be overjoyed to find their flagship bragging rights phone has been usurped so quickly. Samsung and Apple, there is no honour among thieves.

The Apple sheep will line up around the block to get the iPhone 6 and they will also have to re-buy every adapter and power cord again.

Hang on what happened to the Galaxy F, which is supposed to be the tarted up S5? Also why not wait until Qualcomm has the 64 bit S810 ready and Google is shipping 64 bit Android L.

HTC: release the HTC plus one, then one plus one, then one plus two if exist..
Sony: quickly, release the Z3! Now! And we need to release the new Z every 6 month! Don't forget to release the T series along with ultra version!
Samsung: Release the S5 followed by S5 mini and then Galaxy note 4 and then F and then Alpha, flood the market with various Samsung models now!
Apple: relax buddy, just release iPhone 6 with two different display size, and each of them come in 32GB or 64GB.. done!

HTC: release the HTC plus one, then one plus one, then one plus two if exist..
Sony: quickly, release the Z3! Now! And we need to release the new Z every 6 month! Don't forget to release the T series along with ultra version!
Samsung: Release the S5 followed by S5 mini and then Galaxy note 4 and then F and then Alpha, flood the market with various Samsung models now!
Apple: relax buddy, just release iPhone 6 with two different display size, and each of them come in 32GB or 64GB.. done!
Cause other companies let you choose between different versions and sizes while Apple only has 1 or 2 versions and it's mostly just 32GB or 64GB...done!

"they both sell millions of devices each quarter and collectively account for more than 100 percent of profits in the smartphone market once losses from other competitors are factored in"

Wow... They are so profitable they sell more than 100% of profits in the smartphone market! Someone call a math teacher!

"they both sell millions of devices each quarter and collectively account for more than 100 percent of profits in the smartphone market once losses from other competitors are factored in"

Wow... They are so profitable they sell more than 100% of profits in the smartphone market! Someone call a math teacher!
It's possible mostly because others were losing money, basically Apple and Samsung made a certain amount but because all the others were losing money and were in the negatives for profit the 2 top ones ended up making more than 100% once you put all the numbers together. Right now HTC is in 3rd place for profits and made just over 0% of the total Nokia, BlackBerry, Motorola and the rest are all in the negative.

It's possible mostly because others were losing money, basically Apple and Samsung made a certain amount but because all the others were losing money and were in the negatives for profit the 2 top ones ended up making more than 100% once you put all the numbers together. Right now HTC is in 3rd place for profits and made just over 0% of the total Nokia, BlackBerry, Motorola and the rest are all in the negative.

Sorry, but that doesn't many any sense. I know this is the answer to the question, but it's a terrible one. If you were to draw a pie graph of the profits, how exactly do you fill in more than the whole thing?

I googled it, and Business Insider says Samsung and Apple have 106%, while Appleinsider says its' 109%. They're reasoning is the same as yours, but I still say it's a completely ridiculous way to point out that others are losing money. If you lose money it's called a LOSS, not a negative profit.

No matter how much Apple and Samsung make, and no matter someone else loses, they can't make more than ALL of the money that's being made in the industry. 100% = All of it. It's not a 'quirk' as Business insider calls it... the only quirk here is the one against common sense.

Whatever gets page clicks I guess....

Sorry, but that doesn't many any sense. I know this is the answer to the question, but it's a terrible one. If you were to draw a pie graph of the profits, how exactly do you fill in more than the whole thing?

I googled it, and Business Insider says Samsung and Apple have 106%, while Appleinsider says its' 109%. They're reasoning is the same as yours, but I still say it's a completely ridiculous way to point out that others are losing money. If you lose money it's called a LOSS, not a negative profit.

No matter how much Apple and Samsung make, and no matter someone else loses, they can't make more than ALL of the money that's being made in the industry. 100% = All of it. It's not a 'quirk' as Business insider calls it... the only quirk here is the one against common sense.

Whatever gets page clicks I guess....
It doesn't make sense to me either, I had to look around just to get this info and it cleared it up a tiny bit for me but still cloudy in my head. As for the pie chart I think they would avoid that and use graph charts since going negative there works easily. As far as I can tell this is a Wall Street, banking investor way of looking at money and they have funny ways of seeing money.

Back