Samsung's foldable Galaxy X reported to launch next year, cost almost $2,000

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: There have been several stories about Samsung’s foldable Galaxy X handset over the last 12 months, including a possible listing in 2017 and rumors that it will appear at next year’s Mobile World Congress event. Now, a report in the Korea Times also supports the 2019 release date and suggests how much the device might cost: just over $1800.

Samsung has been working on a smartphone with a foldable screen for years. With so many of today’s flagships being virtually identical in design, with the possible exception of the Vivo Nex, a device this innovative could shake up the market. But it comes at a cost.

According to Kim Jang-yeol, head of research at brokerage firm Golden Bridge Investment, the Galaxy X will be released in the first half of next year and cost about 2 million won, which works out at around $1830. If true, that would make it close to double the price of an iPhone X.

Kim believes the phone’s OLED display will measure 7.3 inches when opened out and can be folded down to 4.5 inches. Samsung has filed several patents related to the Galaxy X, including one for “artificial muscle,” which allows the components to move in sync with the screen to protect them from damage.

“This new device is an interesting thing as it will have two inside panels and one outside panel with the two inside panels forming the 7.3-inch screen when the phone is unfolded,” said Kim.

Park Hyung-woo, an analyst at Shinhan Financial, also believes that the handset will arrive in 2019. "Parts affiliates and first-tier subcontractors will begin supplying parts to Samsung Electronics' handset division beginning in November, at the earliest, with the company assembling the phone aiming for a launch next year," he told the publication.

Samsung president of mobile, Koh Dong-jin, has confirmed the device, but we’ve heard no official news of a release date or possible price from the company. Spokesperson Kim Choon-gon said the firm was on track to develop a device featuring a "true foldable display."

With such a high price tag, Samsung won’t be expecting the handset to sell in the same quantities as its other Galaxy phones. But beating its competitors to market will be a coup for the company, and the phone could appeal to those who desire the latest cutting-edge devices, no matter what the cost.

Image credit: Concept Creator

Permalink to story.

I sure won't spend that kind of money, in fact it will have to be below $1,000 before I would even give it a 2nd look ..... but I'm retired so I'm cheap by nature!

I guess this will be on the road to transparency tech first the foldable cost $2K, it would be better to sell it for less than $500.

Like with every new and overpriced technology, I wait that either drops in price or I wait to die due to unpopularity. And in this particular case I don't really feel the need for it...

And as TheBigT42 said, at least first generations will be fragile AF :)

I don't see it being durable in the long term. That crease is gonna fail sooner than later.

This is what has me scratching my chin also...

True, but will it fail before the device is obsolete? My phone is an LG G4 and the back is removable (to swap the battery). When I got it I thought the back cover clips would wear out, and they probably will. But they still work today as good as new and I've take the back off hundreds of times.

It's OK if it fails... if it lasts long enough for 3 more generations of phone to come out then you'll be replacing it anyway.

True, but will it fail before the device is obsolete? My phone is an LG G4 and the back is removable (to swap the battery). When I got it I thought the back cover clips would wear out, and they probably will. But they still work today as good as new and I've take the back off hundreds of times.

It's OK if it fails... if it lasts long enough for 3 more generations of phone to come out then you'll be replacing it anyway.

Disagree - I assume the back of your G4 is a single solid flat piece of plastic. No active components, right?

This foldable screen is hardly comparable.

And as TheBigT42 said, at least first generations will be fragile AF :)
I don't know about you but it seems the first generation "smartphones" were a lot tougher than this latest generation, some of which could be described as "fragile AF". With everyone doing edge to edge, bezel-less, whatever you want to all it, with so much glass these new phones are constantly breaking.

Disagree - I assume the back of your G4 is a single solid flat piece of plastic. No active components, right?

This foldable screen is hardly comparable.

That's fine - forget the analogy.... it still only matters that the hinge lasts for either less than the warranty period or more than when you want to upgrade. You can decide how long that is.

I don't know about you but it seems the first generation "smartphones" were a lot tougher than this latest generation, some of which could be described as "fragile AF". With everyone doing edge to edge, bezel-less, whatever you want to all it, with so much glass these new phones are constantly breaking.

Hm, there is truth in that...

At $1800+ I'm not going to run out and buy it. It will unfold from 4.5 inches to 7.3. A curiosity at that size; but if eventually they have one in multiple panels that unfolds from 4.5 to 10 inches, or better to 14, plus one panel that is a keyboard, and at a reasonable price, the laptop as we know it will be obsolete. It will take a while. But the pace of technological change is enormous. Consider the difference between current PC's and those of say 1998, and the original Doom vs. current video games (as a convenient rough measure of computing power). It might take 10 or 20 years, but it will come.

I am dying to buy one, but at that price, I will hold myself back from dying until there is a VERY significant price drop..

Back