1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

SanDisk's prototype 4TB flash drive fits in your pocket

By Shawn Knight · 9 replies
Jan 9, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. Western Digital subsidiary SanDisk at CES 2019 is showing off a prototype 4TB thumb drive featuring a USB Type-C interface. It’s being billed as the world’s highest capacity USB drive although technically, it’s more of a tiny SSD considering the Type-C connector is attached to a small wire, but that’s beside the point.

Unfortunately, there’s not much else to report about the drive. SanDisk isn’t sharing hardware specifications and potential pricing / launch information also remains a mystery. Truth be told, however, the product will probably never make it to market, at least not in this iteration.

SanDisk did something similar at last year’s CES, showcasing a 1TB USB-C drive that never launched. The idea here isn’t so much to showcase a future product but to demonstrate advancements in flash technology. Cramming 4TB of storage onto a drive that can easily fit into your pocket certainly accomplishes that goal.

If SanDisk did decide to go to market with this drive, it’d be prohibitively expensive considering 2TB flash drives currently command around $1,200.

Permalink to story.

2. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 4,866   +3,311

ROFLMAO ...... I simply can't believe they would bother, especially when you consider what the price point is going to have to be!

3. Slappy McPhee

Slappy McPhee TS Booster Posts: 135   +74

its all about showcasing what COULD be done really. another great example of this is running an RTX2080 on the PCIe slot on a Single Board Computer like the Latte Panda Alpha. not practical at all, but it CAN be done.

4. dualkelly

dualkelly TS Enthusiast Posts: 60   +37

10 years ago 2009 Kingston released the first 128GB flash drive with a price of $546 dollars. Ten years later the 128GB sticks are pretty much the go-to sticks costing about 15-20 dollars.

Reachable, Darth Shiv and IAMTHESTIG like this.
  5. QuantumPhysics

QuantumPhysics TS Guru Posts: 607   +396

This is something you'd expect a CEO or Government official to be carrying around.

I'm glad to see Flash Storage growing and getting cheaper, but for the mean time, most people will stick to a 4TB USB 3.0 portable HDD.

6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 11,208   +4,873

If it is not going to be done and placed on a shelf for purchase, I couldn't care less.

7. fktech

fktech TS Maniac Posts: 463   +124

Waiting for the 50 TB version....

Add a projected screen, mouse and keyboard and I will have Star Wars in my pocket.

8. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,943   +562

Dunno who you are buying yours off!

cliffordcooley likes this.
  9. Qrox

Qrox TS Booster Posts: 68   +27

Well maybe they would last longer if you stopped throwing them in with your washing every 2 days.
    I have a flash drive here that is about 12-14 years old that is still working.

Darth Shiv and cliffordcooley like this.
  10. floor board

floor board TS Rookie

Who knows maybe it'll end up like the 128 gb drive shown a few years ago ._.