SATA drive not read by DVD player with USB port

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, I'm new to the community here. My nickname is Resource. I am currently studying for my A+ certification. I however have a question - and need advice.
I purchased an Sata external Hard Disk. I installed the drivers and formated the drive in order to see it's drive letter in My Computer - it is working fine on my PC. I however cannot see my Music files when I connect the Sata external drive to my DVD player( that has a USB Port) The error message displayed on the screen "NO DISK" When I copy a few songs from the Sata external onto my flash drive (memory stick) and plug the flash drive into my DVD usb port then the songs are displayed and it plays.

What are the reason why the DVD player do not read the Sata External hard drive?
Should I not have formated the Sata external? Or must it be partitioned. If so- as Fat32 or NTFS?
Anyone with advice - kindly post it - I have over 3000 music files that I want to access. But I want to play these songs through the DVD player via USB.
Thank you

Does the external drive have its own own power supply, or is it deriving its power from the USB connection?
It would be helpful to know more about the computer, operating system, and configuration.

Sata drive not read by DVD player

The Sata external drive has it's won power supply.
Please help
Why are the external sata drive read on my pc and not on my home dvd that also has a usb port?

Thank you

The Sata external drive has it's own power supply.
My PC runs on Windows XP pro. The external works fine on the PC ( no problem there).
I cannot see anything if I plug the external Sata drive into the DVD player's USB port. My flashdrive works fine in the DVD usb port.
QUESTION:
Why are the external sata drive read on my pc and not on my home dvd that also has a usb port?

Thank you

The Sata external drive has it's own power supply.
My PC runs on Windows XP pro. The external works fine on the PC ( no problem there).
I cannot see anything if I plug the external Sata drive into the DVD player's USB port. My flashdrive works fine in the DVD usb port.
QUESTION:

Thank you

Any chance you can go to the website of the DVD player manufacturer for operational requirements or trouble shooting. Some, but few, manufacturers can be helpful.
It just may be that your hardware does not support what you want to do.

Hi,
Some new developments. I tried my friend's external drive on the DVD, and it read. The music files started to Auto play after a few seconds. This is strange because he also has a Canyon UDB external drive, hut not a SATA. Is there maybe a different way to get my SATA drive to read on the DVD? I have the SATA drive formatted as NTFS.

It is clearly not my DVD player - nor is it my windows os - The Sata reads when connected to a pc via USB, but not to the DCD player via USB.

Please tell me it is the drive settings or something simple that I need to check, as my friend are looking at me in a daze because we are now listening to music from his external drive that are plugged into the USB port of my Home DVD player :( :confused:

Thanks
Resource:confused::confused:

We all know this is frustrating.
Have you tried and complete uninstall and reinstall ?
Do you and your friend have different security settings? Antivirus, Antispyware, etc.

Sata drive not detected ny DVD player to play music files

I have tried uninstall and install several times yes - still no joy.
My friend and I have the same PC's with the same specs. We also use the same antivirus software ( Kaspersky) . Our external drives are different. So my DVD player reads his external, but not mine, as mine is a Sata external and his is not. I have also disabled Kaspersky's firewall and other settings that would prevent installng. After I installed again, my Pc reads the Sata drive, but not the DVD player.
:suspiciou

Thanks

Time to start nitpicking... cables, sockets, plugs... any other connection. Exchange, replace, etc.
But what you describe is rather typical of the problems one can find with external drives... and some are simply unfixable except by take it back to the dealer for an exchange.

Ok....thank you for trying.

I will go to the dealer and have the drive checked out.

Hava splended weekend.

Will update you on Monday

Chauw:wave:

I don't know what DVD player you have, or how old or new it is. But a lot of them require the file system to be FAT32 as opposed to NTFS, is the drive that works FAT32? Worth looking into.

Also, is there any chance that you have a driver problem strictly because the SATA driver you need does not come embedded in the install package or the Windows XP installation package or whatever softrware package you may be using ? One must consider when installing some systems is that their system might not support SATA drives natively. XP offers that problem as no XP CD supports SATA drives natively. It has to be rebuilt in to the CD or installer package before using a regular CD.

Thats not the case here raybay because the device that isn't reading the drive is a standalone home dvd player, not a Windows XP computer.

Hey guys.

I still have no access to my external Sata drive, except on my PC.
I took the DVD player back to the dealer. They inserted a flash drive into the usb port of the dvd player and it worked. The dealer said that I need to format my Sata drive and partition it in Fat 32. I went home and tried this. By default, Windows XP only allows me to partition in the NTFS partition and not Fat 32. How can I partition in Fat 32 if that option is not available in the format disk option?:suspiciou

Several ways to get there. Try Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools-Storage->Disk Management->Right click on the drive listed (D, E, F, H, L, J, K... Etc.) Right Click to select Format, Select Fat 32.
or Go to My Computer, look for the Drive by Letter and definition (which might be "Removable Disk" with a drive letter or brief description, then Right Click on Format. You will be given the choice of FAT 32.
Click on Fomat.

Wait until thoroughly complete.
Then assume it is not really complete even if the light is off.
Look at your tool bar at the bottom of the screen for a tiny Icon with a green Arrow pointing left. Click on that arrow for "Safely remove hardware" and remove the drive you have just formatted. This is important, as sometimes the format is not complete when the screen tells you it is. If you remove the drive too soon without "Safely remove hardware" you bugger things up.
You will usually find a way to right click on this drive starting at My Computer or Control Panel, but the drive must be plugged into the computer and power source if necessary to get it recognized by Windows XP.
Good luck.

Hi Raybay
In my previous reply I said that I have formatted the Sata drive in Disk Management.
When i select format, only one option shows in the drop down menu and that is NTFS. It does not have the Fat 32 in the drop down menu.
I am running Win XP prof eddition. If I go to my computer, click on the Sata (E) drive, select format, then I only see the NTFS option. After I formated the drive in NTFS (only option available) it shows my music files on my Pc, but not on my DVD player. When i connect the Sata to the DVD player USB, It says " Loading" for a few seconds, then a blank screeen. That indicates to me that the DVD player reads the drive, but cant see my music files. i have also copied 2 movie files onto the Sata and this also are not being read. I am almost convince that it is the NTFS partition that causes this, because the music files on my friend's non Sata drive are read by my DVD drive.

I am a little closer to solving the problem - I however need to know how to partition the Sata drive in Fat 32 and format it.

Must I try a different OS?

Thanks....:confused:

You are likely correct that it is the NTFS format that is the problem, but Windows XP, if drive is detected, you should be able to <Right Click> from <Control Panel> or <My Computer> and get the choice <Format Fat 32> or similar words.

Usually, if the device is detected at all (which it is, since it is showing NTFS), you should be able to <Right Click> on the device and get the choice: Format Fat 32 when using Windows XP

You might try Looking Around's post here on TechSpot,

USB Mass Storage Device Problems? How to Cleanup and Remove old USB Storage Drivers

as there are some thorough and helpful ideas there.

Ok then
I will try a Pc with a different OS at my office. We are using Win 2000 for our provincial network.
If I can find the Fat 32 patition option on Win 2000, then hopefully the problem would be solved.
I will keep you updated on my progress.

Keep well

What computer are you using, and where did you obtain the Windows XP Home disk?
What is the device brand and model you are attempting to connect.
This is such a mystery, as we have never been unable to connect a device, and determine to format to whatever.
Since yours does work on other systems, what do you think is the anomaly about your system that is the problem?
Have you tried simple things like using a different USB cable?

Win2k should format it as fat32. If not, create a bootable linux disk, or gparted disk, and it should be able to do it for you.

Hi Raybay
I have no problem reading from the SATA drive when it's connected to my Pc. The problem is that i cannot partition it as Fat 32. The only option available on my OS is NTFS partition.

I use a Dell Optiplex 755 Pc.
Intel Core Duo CPU
E4400 @ 2.00HGHz
2.00 GHz, 1gb of Ram

Microsoft XP ( Registered with Microsoft)
Professional
Ver: 2002
Service pack 2.

The External drive:
Seagate 80GB 7200RPM SATA II
Canyon 3.5" EXT ALUMINUM HDD BAY USB SATA.

These are all the specs that I can provide and I hope it will help.

Sorry I cannot be of help without being there. We're probably getting too far afield here, but the FORMAT.EXE program on bootdisks I have seen will work everytime for me. Also, WXP does not need a sata driver as long as you use "IDE compatibility mode" in your BIOS, so you might take a gander in the BIOS. partition without any problem. I know Partition Magic 8.0 and beyond will format Fat32, as will the WinMe bootdisk from http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

But I have never seen that problem, as every machine and disk I have worked with allows it with a few tweaks.

Hi Raybay
I managed to find a Pc at my office that are running on Windows 2000.
I connected the Sata drive via UBS port to that Pc. Went to my computer and checked the format options, and WOW....it has both NTFS and Fat 32 options.
I have now first backed up all my data onto a file and are formatting the Sata drive in Fat 32 as we speak.
It is formatting and just about finish. I do not understand why the Fat 32 option does not show in Win XP though. But nevertheless, I will see how it goes. After the Fat 32 formatting, I will copy my files back onto the Sata external drive, go home and connect it to the DVD player.
Will update you as soon as I am back at my office.

Sata drive not read by DVD player

Hi Raybay
I managed to find a Pc at my office that are running on Windows 2000.
I connected the Sata drive via UBS port to that Pc. Went to my computer and checked the format options, and WOW....it has both NTFS and Fat 32 options.
I have now first backed up all my data onto a file and are formatting the Sata drive in Fat 32 as we speak.
It is formatting and just about finish. I do not understand why the Fat 32 option does not show in Win XP though. But nevertheless, I will see how it goes. After the Fat 32 formatting, I will copy my files back onto the Sata external drive, go home and connect it to the DVD player.
Will update you as soon as I am back at my office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back