SATA & IDE drive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronaldo9_r9

Hello everyone,
I am new to computers i have sata drive which came with pc and i wanted to install another drive which came from my older pc which is IDE drive. I have set jumpers for IDE drive as slave, MY DVDROM 2 drives one is master another is slave. my other drive is on IDE Channel 3 its also master drive.

Is this the correct setup please have a look at screenshot and let me know if i need to change the jumpers etc. If you look at picture i have Maxtor drives 80gb came from older pc it has windows 7 installed and WDC drive has winodws xp pro installed. I had 2 blue screen so far i don't know if master/slave settings are causing it.

Here is picture

or click here http://img9.imageshack.us/i/gedc0186j.jpg/

Thanks in advanced.

The image is not readable to me, but then I am old and frail.

How did you connect the IDE drive? Did you use the recommended add-on board, and cable?

The Maxtor is old an frail itself, and not known for a long life. You might be better off putting it in an external enclosure and saving the data... because the life of the drive is actually only 2 years and 8 months in our experience.

Otherwise, please find a way to enlarge the image... or to simply type it out.

Sorry, I made an assumption on setup, without knowing your board... assuming you had added the EIDE drive to a SATA connection.

Have you tried putting the Maxtor on IDE Channel 1 on master?

and the Western Digital on IDE Channel 2 master?

My WD drive connected to sata. So i need Maxtor to connect to channel 1 and set jumper from slave to master what about my other 2 cd rom drives do they need to be on master also. WD is a SATA drive which is connected to its own connection. Did you check the picture i have uploaded.

In that case I would put the two hard drives on so that the Maxtor is on Channel 1 master and the Western Digital is on Channel 1 slave.

Then put the two optical drives on Channel 2 jumpered as master and Channel 2 jumpered as slave
I have not put that many drives on a SATA IDE Combo... you would not be able to put more than four drives on the EIDE ... but not sure about when SATA is added.

In that case I would put the two hard drives on so that the Maxtor is on Channel 1 master and the Western Digital is on Channel 1 slave.

Then put the two optical drives on Channel 2 jumpered as master and Channel 2 jumpered as slave
I have not put that many drives on a SATA IDE Combo... you would not be able to put more than four drives on the EIDE ... but not sure about when SATA is added.

Channel 2 and 3 are SATA connections on my board channel 0 and 1 are IDE connection. what if i I'd set the 80GB PATA HDD as Master since it has it's own channel. if yes What setting do i need to have my 2 dvdrom drives on master or salve. do they both go on channel 1 becuase channel 2 and 3 are SATA drive connection. Please check the picture and let me know which i posted earlier.

Can you please suggest me another solution. Thanks for quick reply.

I'm assuming you are wanting to boot from the SATA drive, and I suspect that is probably the only drive (other than one of the cd drives) that you can even boot from at this point.

Its possible to do what you are trying to without much more effort. Your IDE CD/DVD drives can be on the Primary IDE channel (IDE chan 0) (that generally isn't done, but technically it shouldn't matter).

Your IDE Channel 2 and 3 aren't really IDE, they are SATA, at least that is an educated guess by me, I think you've confirmed that above though. Some older motherboards around the Athlon Thunderbird era had 4 ide controller connections onboard, for a possibility of 8 IDE drives.

So... For where I see the first obvious problem is you do not want to have the only IDE drive on a channel be set as Slave. Your IDE Channel 1, is the secondary IDE connection on your motherboard, so you need to take the jumper on your Maxtor and set it to Master. That should fix your problem. Post back with any more issues after you've done that.

I'm assuming you are wanting to boot from the SATA drive, and I suspect that is probably the only drive (other than one of the cd drives) that you can even boot from at this point.

Its possible to do what you are trying to without much more effort. Your IDE CD/DVD drives can be on the Primary IDE channel (IDE chan 0) (that generally isn't done, but technically it shouldn't matter).

Your IDE Channel 2 and 3 aren't really IDE, they are SATA, at least that is an educated guess by me, I think you've confirmed that above though. Some older motherboards around the Athlon Thunderbird era had 4 ide controller connections onboard, for a possibility of 8 IDE drives.

So... For where I see the first obvious problem is you do not want to have the only IDE drive on a channel be set as Slave. Your IDE Channel 1, is the secondary IDE connection on your motherboard, so you need to take the jumper on your Maxtor and set it to Master. That should fix your problem. Post back with any more issues after you've done that.

Thank you for your answer i will surely change the jumper to master for maxtor drive. One last question sorry to keep asking you for so many questions. I just want to make sure nothing messes when i do this change. I know you guys are well qualified and will help me set it up. I have windows 7 on Western Digital drive (letter g) drive and windows xp on (letter c) drive. My question is when i make the jumper changes will it effect these OS systems in any way. Will MBR settings get changed also. I new to this stuff please help me out.

Is WinXP on that Maxtor IDE drive? If so, and you didn't install XP onto that drive from the computer it is on now, things probably aren't going to work very well. You could try a repair install, that will play with the MBR on that drive.

If you were somehow getting into XP with that Maxtor being slave and XP wasn't originally installed on that hardware, then that is probably the source of your blue screens. Like I said, a repair install might fix that. Switching it to Master though is the appropriate first step, because that is how it was meant to be. I have seen new motherboards being able to deal with incorrect jumper settings before so that may be why you were able to boot at all.

Anyway what I would do is if you have to repair XP, I would do it with your SATA drive disconnected, just so you don't touch anything on that drive. Then I would choose which OS you want to boot into by your motherboards boot selector, which is probably something like hitting F12 during POST. Its probably going to be a big PITA to get a proper dual boot set up at this time.

Is WinXP on that Maxtor IDE drive? If so, and you didn't install XP onto that drive from the computer it is on now, things probably aren't going to work very well. You could try a repair install, that will play with the MBR on that drive.

If you were somehow getting into XP with that Maxtor being slave and XP wasn't originally installed on that hardware, then that is probably the source of your blue screens. Like I said, a repair install might fix that. Switching it to Master though is the appropriate first step, because that is how it was meant to be. I have seen new motherboards being able to deal with incorrect jumper settings before so that may be why you were able to boot at all.

Anyway what I would do is if you have to repair XP, I would do it with your SATA drive disconnected, just so you don't touch anything on that drive. Then I would choose which OS you want to boot into by your motherboards boot selector, which is probably something like hitting F12 during POST. Its probably going to be a big PITA to get a proper dual boot set up at this time.

Thanks for reply. I installed Windows XP on Western Digital drive SATA (IDE Channel 3 Master) first after few months i decieded to install Windows 7 on Maxtor IDE Drive (Channel 1 Slave). Before Hooking Up Maxtor Windows 7 drive i was only running Windows XP on its own. I am dual booting XP and Windows 7 on current setting. I can access files from both OS systems and dual booting works also. What do i need to do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back