Scammers create 57,000 new bogus pages every week

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Scammers are trying harder than ever to trick unsuspecting users with fake websites, according to a new study by PandaLabs. The security firm estimates that cybercriminals create around 57,000 new pages every week and use SEO techniques to position them well on search engines, inevitably luring people to click through and execute malicious code or enter login credentials.

PandaLabs found that 65% of bogus sites target online bankers and 27% go after online shoppers. Another 2.3% pose as sites from other financial institutions and 1.9% look like government organizations. Here's a top 10 breakdown of the most impersonated brands:

1. eBay 23.21%
2. Western Union 21.15%
3. Visa 9.51%
4. United Services Automobile Association 6.85%
5. HSBC 5.98%
6. Amazon 2.42%
7. Bank of America 2.29%
8. PayPal 1.77%
9. Internal Revenue Service 1.69%
10. Bendigo Bank 1.38%

So, how does one avoid this ploy? Easy. Type the address in manually. Less experienced users (or perhaps seasoned users with a bad habit) often search for sites they want to visit -- even if they know the address -- instead of just going there directly. Visit the site frequently? Bookmark it. Inexperienced users also mistype addresses frequently, and that's targeted too.

Permalink to story.

I was nailed a few weeks ago while looking for lyrics to a song. Did a Google search and clicked on a link that looked like it might have what I want. Fortunately, MS Defender kept it from dumping its trojan on my PC.

It happen to me on Amazon in July 2010, but I had stayed right on top of things! Found out that the Seller didn't know about the bogus adverts on Amazon. He told me he didn't put those items adverts up! Someone in China did plus he doesn't have anyone of those items to sell. But he also has ebay adverts for the stuff he does carry through a beauty supply front was selling electronic gizmo's. I did a comparison and found he ebay items adverts didn't match up with the Amazon items adverts. There was a problem! But you know you can to be smart ordering online today. Amazon doesn't seem to care most of the items from unknown sellers are bogus. The item you order is not what is pictured, the description is bogus, no such items exist. All made up! Well with this seller is was and he was located in Florida. Then on top of it he told me he would hold my order and when a more expensive item was coming out in 2 weeks I could have it for $250 kept on saying it was a better item than what I had ordered. What was posted on Amazon was $145 including shipping. First this is not good business to use one order for another. Best it was cancelled out and wait for this item to be posted on Amazon to see what the heck it would be or would it be another bogus item again? Can't take the seller word! Anyway had contacted the seller through Amazon which for my protection is the best way to do any business transaction. I told the seller listen if this item doesn't have such and such then you have misleading info and running a bogus advert for a product that doesn't exist! I wanted him to cancel the order and refund the funds!

Then I get a email from Amazon confirming the order was cancelled by Seller and no charges were made!

google is a big target, if you type www.google.com wrong it will go strait to a trojan website, got to love avast otherwise i would of been having alot of probems

Back