Screen Won't detect signal from PC

paddycuinne

So ill run you guys through what has happened on this maddening journey so far.

So three days ago white lines started appearing across my screen. I put in an older graphics card I had and the issue seemed to be solved. The next time I try to switch it on, however, the screen doesn't detect the computer. The attempt after this it does detect it. The third time it doesn't and any further attempts have the same "no signal" issue.

When I try the onboard graphics it works fine.

So far I've tried:
Different screen
Different cable
A third graphics card
removing one and both sticks of ram
different PCI port
removing and reattaching all the wires attacked to the Motherboard.
Resetting BIOS
Reinstalling BIOS
changing settings on the screen.

I've also tried reinstalling the PC.

The first attempt at a reinstall allowed it to start up, but then it crashed during a game after 30 miniutes and the problem returned.

The second attempt did the same.

Both the restarts happened in the morning, making me think time and not the reinstall is the relevant factor here... but who knows.

I feel like the fact it all runs fine with the onboard graphics rules out anything hardware wise but the graphics card.. and the fact I've tried three separate graphics cards rules out the cards being the issue (although I think the first one genuinely did break).

I also feel like the reinstall and the bios reset rules out any software or driver issues.

Suffice it to say I'm completely lost, and any ideas would be more than welcome. I'm going to try putting my parts in a different motherboard when I can get a friend to lend me one, and a new power source, and check the cpu, but I very much doubt these are the issue since Its working with onboard graphics.

My pc specs are as follows

9600gt graphics card
i5-4670k
8gb ram
64 bit windows 10
corsair cx750m power source

Your comment above may or may not state it, but I assume you have connected the necessary PCIe 6/8-Pin power connectors to each of the different GPUs when testing them?

Also, check your BIOS settings. Booting the computer without a GPU installed may well have reset the default video device - make sure its PCI-e, not onboard.

Your comment above may or may not state it, but I assume you have connected the necessary PCIe 6/8-Pin power connectors to each of the different GPUs when testing them?

Also, check your BIOS settings. Booting the computer without a GPU installed may well have reset the default video device - make sure its PCI-e, not onboard.

Yeah the power connector is attached, and the settings are all correct in the Bios. Thanks for the reply. Really stumped.

Also the motherboard is a msi z87-G45.

It's a rather obvious one but you are moving the video connectors and fitting them to the GPUs aren't you?

Failing that it could indeed be motherboard related.

It's a rather obvious one but you are moving the video connectors and fitting them to the GPUs aren't you?

Failing that it could indeed be motherboard related.

Yeah I am. It's a peculiar one, feel like I've eliminated all the options. If it was the motherboard wouldn't the pc be unlikely to work through the on-board graphics?

Not if the issue was related to the PCI Express sockets. The likelihood of several failing is pretty low though, but not unheard of.

It might be worth reflashing the BIOS to see if the previous reset of it caused an instability to occur.

Not if the issue was related to the PCI Express sockets. The likelihood of several failing is pretty low though, but not unheard of.

It might be worth reflashing the BIOS to see if the previous reset of it caused an instability to occur.

Yeah have re-flashed it, no change. Some peculiar motherboard hardware issue I guess. If it was software the reinstall and bios resets would have solved it right?

Don't forget to check out the monitor and the cables too. You'll be upset if you eventually find the computer was fine.

Back