Screwed Up Alignment of SSD; Can I Ghost, Re-Align, Restore?

Savage1701

OK, I was being careless and formatted an SSD under XP. I then installed Windows 7 Pro 64. My offset is 63. I know I am not aligned. Any method of alignment test says I am not, and I don't want to burn up my SSD.

My question is can I re-align without re-installing Windows 7? I have a bunch of stuff transferred/installed/licensed and I don't want to do a clean install.

Will the following work:

1. Run Norton Ghost and get a disk image.
2. Re-format the SSD under another Win7 computer and format with correct offset.
3. Restore backup image to correctly aligned SSD.

Any thoughts on that?

I really messed this up.

Thanks for any thoughts.

JC713 - Yes, I know I am not aligned with an offset of 63. I have seen that article; it was part of the basis for my knowing I am not aligned. My question is, can I Ghost the C drive, re-format the SSD on a Win 7 machine where I know it will be aligned, and Ghost the C drive back and have it re-aligned correctly, or do I need to pay $30, which I would, for Paragon Alignment Tool?

Reinstalling Win 7 is not really an option at this point, due to other software having to be installed and re-licensed and such.

JC713 - Yes, I know I am not aligned with an offset of 63. I have seen that article; it was part of the basis for my knowing I am not aligned. My question is, can I Ghost the C drive, re-format the SSD on a Win 7 machine where I know it will be aligned, and Ghost the C drive back and have it re-aligned correctly, or do I need to pay $30, which I would, for Paragon Alignment Tool?

Reinstalling Win 7 is not really an option at this point, due to other software having to be installed and re-licensed and such.

I am not really sure. Maybe jobeard may know.

Back