Search engine links redirecting to other search engines and ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently Google and other search engines have starting acting strange. When I click on a link it redirects to ad sites or other lesser search engines. I've run Trend Micro several times and it keeps coming up empty. I've also tried deleting all cookies but I'm still being redirected. Windows Vista. Dell Inspiron e1705.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Luke (x3) , welcome to TechSpot. We'll be glad to help you but ask that you first follow the preliminary virus and malware removal steps HERE.

Please follow the instructions carefully and when finished, leave the logs from Malwarebytes, Superantispyware and Hijackthis for out review.

We ask that you not run any other cleaning programs unless we ask you to, while we are assisting you.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Logs are attached.
I'm afraid things are getting worse. I'm getting random new tabs with ads and search engines. If I close one another pops up in it's place.

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    10.2 KB · Views: 2
  • mbam-log-2010-03-09 (17-54-50).txt
    4.7 KB · Views: 1
  • SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log - 03-09-2010 - 19-57-23.log
    1.1 KB · Views: 1
Luke, please do the following:

TFC (Temp File Cleaner)
Download TFC to your desktop
  • Open the file and close any other windows.
  • It will close all programs itself when run, make sure to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. The program should not take long to finish its job
  • Once its finished it should reboot your machine, if not, do this yourself to ensure a complete clean

TFC only cleans temp folders. TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail. TFC requires a reboot immediately after running. Be sure to save any unsaved work before running TFC.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder.

Please download ComboFix HERE:
  • With ComboFix, at the download window, please rename it to Combo-Fix(.exe) before downloading it.

Important! Save the renamed download to your desktop.
  • Please disable all security programs, such as antiviruses, antispywares, and firewalls.
  • Double click on the setup file on the desktop to run
  • If prompted to download and install the Recovery Console, please do so.
    (Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.)
  • If prompted to update, please allow.
  • Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.
  • When finished, it will produce a log.Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.
Notes:

• 1.Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
    2. ComboFix may reset a number of Internet Explorer's settings.
    3. Combofix prevents autorun of ALL CD, floppy and USB devices to assist with malware removal & increase security.
    4. CF disconnects your machine from the internet. The connection is automatically restored before CF completes its run.
Run Eset NOD32 Online AntiVirus Scanner HERE
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the Active X control to install
  • Disable your current Antivirus software. You can usually do this with its Notification Tray icon near the clock.
  • Click Start
  • Make sure that the option "Remove found threats" is Unchecked, and the option "Scan unwanted applications" is checked
  • Click Scan
  • Wait for the scan to finish
  • Re-enable your Antivirus software.
  • A logfile is created and located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt. Please include this on your post.
Then rescan with HJT. Include Combofix report, Eset log and HJT logs in next reply.

For some reason the attachment buttons aren't working. The little paperclip does nothing when I click it and neither does the Manage Attachments button below. I've tried Firefox and Internet Explorer. In internet explorer when I click the buttons I get the message "Error on page" in the bottom bar of the browser window. Any ideas?

Reboot the computer and try again, Luke. I need those logs. The Manage Attachments function is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back