Search Engine Virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesse.johnson

I've been having issues with searching from Yahoo and Google. Probably others but those are the only ones that I use. here is what happens. I will search on anything (Jeeps for example). It will give me a listing of legit sites for Jeep stuff but all of the linkings will direct me to the following sites (it even shows the link in the search results):

porsche.com
findstuff.com
toseeka.com
jeep.edmunds.com
monstermarketplace.com
auto-insurance.com
yourgolfpro.com

It will tag these links to the various results in the search engines.

I ran updated Malware, Spybot, Ad-Aware, and Norton AV. It does not come up with anything.

Any ideas on things I can check?

Thanks in advance-

Appears normal to me. You might want to do a little reading on how to phrase a search, and where to limit with quotes or whatever.

RE

No, anything I search as simple as Texas Longhorns or Honda or Las Vegas or anything it will give me legit search results but they all link to the same sites listed above. So it would show a search result to a Texas Longhorn fan club but link me to toseeka.com or findstuff.com. On every search I do.

I know how to phrase a search.

RE

Here is the issue: (Attached)

I think I resolved the issue last night by putting in Safe Mode and running Malware Antibytes, Ad-Aware, Search And Destroy, Norton AV, AVG, and trendmicro.com housecall.

It found some grayware and malware which I think was causing the issue.

Moderator Edit
Sorry no DOC attachments
Use notepad txt attachments instead

Here is the issue that I was getting (attached jpg). See how, for example, the video card Wikipedia search result links to a different site along with the rest of the search results.

But again, I believe that I have fixed this by doing the above steps.

Attachments

• yahoosearch.jpg
    yahoosearch.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 6
The search term I see is 'video card.' For a search term as broad as that, you are going to get 'broad' results!

If you did have malware that was causing a browser redirect, that could have been part of the problem. since you did find malware, I strongly suggest you run the system thought the malware cleaning programs here and then attach the logs. Let "us" review them:
https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

And as mentioned, narrowing down a search term is in your best interest for getting good results.

THE SEARCH TERM WAS AN EXAMPLE. THE POINT IS THAT ANYTHING I WOULD SEARCH FOR THE RESULTS LINK TO SOMETHING DIFFERENT. THE WIKIPEDIA RESULT SHOWS THE LINK "IN GREEN" TO HMEDIASPLASH.HORNBOSTELFAMILY.COM. AND SO ON. (as shown in the jpg)

I KNOW HOW TO DO A WEB SEARCH. THAT WAS NOT THE PROBLEM. THANK YOU.

If you have not been told, typing in upper case letters = yelling on the internet.

I have suggested you run the malware leaning programs and given a link. That's the only way we can determine if malware is causing your search problem.

I have the exact same problem with IE(7.0). FF(3.0.5) is working well, but IE is showing incorrect URLs.
Seems that the updated Symantic Antivirus doesn't catch it.

what is the issue?

Fix

I ended up running some programs, I'm not sure which one caught it but here's what I ran:

Spybot Search and Destroy
Ad-Aware
Malware Antibytes
Norton Antivirus
AVG Free Antivirus
TrendMicro.com House Call

I made sure to update all programs and then rebooted into safe mode with networking and ran each program. One of these programs caught it but I'm not sure which one.

*Side Note* I ended up reformatting to Vista Ultimate and I'm happy with it.

You can find and remove using the 8 Steps method elsewhere on this forum.

MalwareBytes, SuperAntispyware, Avira Antivir, and Adaware 2009 as a package work.

We no longer recommend TrendNet nor AVG because they both miss too many others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back