Searching for text in Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

LookinAround

<Getting up on my soapbox>
I know how to do things backwards and forwards and with my eyes closed in XP! So having to figure out all new ways Windows 7 does things is just darn frustrating!

<Now stepping back down from my soapbox>
That said, maybe someone can show me how to do the following (which is a helluva lot more intuitive in XP!
(oops, guess i should've still been on my soapbox to say that :) )

I want to do the following search.

Search for string xxxx in all files that start yyyyy that reside under folder (and subfolders) C:\Windows

p.s. and i don't give a hoot if it's been indexed or not

I'm looking for matches on a text string xxxx inside of any file whose name starts yyyy

Would your suggestion let windows differentiate?

Example:

If files yyyy.log and yyyy.txt exist and they both contain the text line xxxx, i want to search and find both files

To search for all files that start with yyyy and have text xxxx type this in Windows 7 search box.

*yyyy* content: "xxxx*

To search for all files that start with yyyy and have text xxxx type this in Windows 7 search box.

*yyyy* content: "xxxx*

Thank you much. That looks like the syntax that would work. :grinthumb

I'll play with it and check it out when i get the chance. Looks like we should make you the XP to Win 7 search function translator! :)

Well search on 7 is a different ball game. It has to be index (Windows Search should be enabled and set to auto. There is another feature hidden if your going to do anything like media management. Also Workgroup and Homegroup are two different apples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back