Separate Internet for work?

I will be working from home and my employer requires that nothing else in the house be connected to the internet while I am working. Is it possible to use two routers.. one for work and the other for tv, laptops and game systems? Or will I need my internet provider to install a second line? I don’t want my employer to be able to tell that there are other devices connected. I have Spectrum as my internet provider.

No other devices makes me think that it is a really important security issue. You probably have kids who want entertainments - which is also important. Check requirements with your IT folks - perhaps you can bring in and work from another ISP (AT&T, Frontier, etc - check https://broadbandnow.com/ ) - especially if you find that a 3Mbps is 'good enough' for business.

Otherwise, you just might be able to talk your IT folks into supporting a connection from behind a second router (business computer attached to LAN port #1 on second router) which is then connected to your existing router (from 2nd router WAN port to first router LAN port). You need them to 'sign off' on the 'solution' - otherwise you risk your job and potentially a big hit on your employer (it IS the wild West out there)

Last edited:
Feasible, can be done in two ways.

1. What you would be looking at is a "Dual Homing" setup. Meaning having two different Service Provider Connections. You can either have two modems and setup your "home" network with the gateway of one ISP connection and strictly leave the "work" connection only on the work pc.

2. If you're willing to pay someone qualified a more neater way would probably be configuring "Policy Based Routing" to meet your needs.

ie.
Policy 1: "Home Network" Pass through link 1
Policy 2: "Work PC" Pass through link 2.

Option 1 is the best IMHO because its simpler to implement and can be done from your end. Option 2 is "an option" but requires A. someone with expertise. B. a proper router not tplinks ect.

I'm sure @jobeard and @Gabriel Pike know more about this stuff than me so I'd wait on other valid options.

I'm with @MattS on setup. Option 1 would be the best choice for cost/ease of setup. I have done Policy Based Routing for customers in the past but this is usually beyond the price/complexity needed for a home setup.

Back