Serial to Usb Adapter two pieces of hardware will not communicate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I am frustrated. My wife has a Pfaff 2140 embroidery m/c. She has bought a new Laptop which does not have a serial port. So I got a generic Adapter Serial to Usb. The m/c has PC Communication card with a 9 pin serial. I have loaded the drivers for a Prolific Adapter. Then I closed down and restarted with the M/c connected to the laptop using the Usb. No communication was the message I received. I have determined that the port on the laptop used by the Laptop driver is com(7). I do not know which port the m/c wants. Although someone my wife spoke to says the m/c wants com(4).
How can I achieve the connection between Laptop and m/c? Please make me happy.

jamesblu

I thought I was using the usb port when I connected a 2.0 usb to the pc and the adapter. I do not understand please. thank you for your reply.
jamesblu

You said the port on the Laptop being used is Com7. It needs to be the USB port. You may be able to change this in Device Manager.

See if this helps so you can change the settings of virtual COM ports created by the adapter.

/* edit */
(Note the link i provided is probably for a different usb/serial adapter then yours but most steps should be similar. in particular, try finding the adapter in Device Manager and rt click Properties to check settings)

Thanks Techspot evangelist,

Yes the article did help and I managed to get communication setup on my old IBM THINKPAD.
However one problem solved another rears its head. I could not get any joy on the new Acer laptop. I looked on resources for com ports and I couldn't believe my eyes the result a blank screen -- No com ports?-- Surely cannot be so. Tell me there is some way I get at them PLEASE!!
jamesblu

Hi,
My problem relates only to a Pfaff embroidery m/c which I understand runs best with WinXP. My Pfaff software is loaded into XP Pro SP2. However there is now a Pfaff VISTA patch. I have not used it.
Does this help?
jamesblu

I asked as i was wondering if perhaps the difference was the computer that works was running XP and the other might be running Vista or something else.

As for further support though (beyond the generic info about configuring COM ports)... it sounds like some of your problem may be specific to Pfaff and their software and drivers (which i'm not familiar with). So.... it might be best to find the answers about the Pfafff m/c, software and drivers among other Pfaff users.

You might try
> joining the group here
> Look for other groups by Googling pfaff user groups
> Or see if any related posts make sense for your specific situation by Googling something like pfaff 2140 com usb port

Hope some of this helps :) Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back