USB-C will become mandatory for all new phones launched in the EU after fall 2024

Tudor Cibean

Staff
In a nutshell: USB-C cables are extremely versatile, being able to simultaneously transfer data, carry a video signal, and charge electronics at up to 240W. While most devices already use the popular standard, there are still a few holdouts, like Apple's iPhones.

Today, lawmakers in the European Union have finally reached an agreement requiring all phones, tablets, and other small electronics sold in the region to use USB-C as the charging port. The European Commission has been pushing for a universal charging solution for mobile phones for over a decade.

The entire list of electronics includes laptops, e-readers, earbuds, keyboards, computer mice, portable navigation devices, smartphones, tablets, digital cameras, headphones and headsets, handheld videogame consoles, and portable speakers.

By fall 2024, all new devices belonging to these categories will have to include a USB-C port for charging. The only exception is laptops, which have 40 months after being passed to be adapted.

Apple's iPhones will be the most impacted by the new law, as most other devices already adopted USB-C a long time ago. However, the latest rumors indicate that the company already has plans to replace the Lightning connector in next year's iPhones.

The USB-C standard currently supports power delivery at up to 240W, so it'll be interesting to see what becomes of desktop replacements and other high-powered laptops. For instance, the recently-unveiled MSI Titan GT77 ships with a 330W power adapter, and its components can draw over 250W combined.

It's also worth noting that these rules only apply to devices that charge via a cable and not those that exclusively feature wireless charging.

Lastly, the press release mentions that consumers in the EU will be able to choose between purchasing a new device with or without a charging brick included in the box.

Permalink to story.

So in only 3 more years, I won't need a lightning charger. From what we've seen market pressure was heading that direction anything but act like you accomplished something EU. It's certainly better than the law that makes me accept cookies at every. single. website. ever.

So in only 3 more years, I won't need a lightning charger. From what we've seen market pressure was heading that direction anything but act like you accomplished something EU. It's certainly better than the law that makes me accept cookies at every. single. website. ever.

Consent-O-Matic
SuperAgent
Yes, they have, in fact, accomplished something.
They stop manufacturers from messing with charging ports.

microUSB mice, miniUSB external drives and GPS devices, Type-B 2.0 printers, Type-B 3.0, Type-C phones, microUSB phones, micro super speed external enclosures, FW, TB...then there are the proprietary connectors, the tablets, the cameras, the consoles and what not.
That's not even including CrApple.

May I mention power cords as well?
Hence the "use USB-C as the charging port" part of the article.

Finally, someone with sense is forcing these bastards to use the same connector and I won't need a specific charger for each separate device.
USB-Connector-Types.jpg

Last edited:
Cynical me says that the EU was already in talks with Apple and planned this, since Apple has been moving everything to USB C anyways.

I wonder if money exchanged hands so one will look like a hero and richer and the other one looking like a good citizen.

Anyways, good for everyone.

Why would you choose to have a slightly different cable - there is no real reason to have different cable if they are all the same specs. Also everyone using the same port will make that port more cost effective etc.
The reason is irrelevant, as long as I do not hurt another you have no right to tell me what to do.

Consent-O-Matic
SuperAgent
Yes, they have, in fact, accomplished something.
They stop manufacturers from messing with charging ports.
microUSB mice, miniUSB external drives and GPS devices, Type-C phones, microUSB phones...then there are the tablets, the consoles and what not.
That's not even including CrApple.

Finally, someone with sense is forcing these bastards to use the same connector and I won't need a specific charger for each separate device.

Everything you listed is dying off anyway.

It's about time that they did something like this. It's funny how it's only ever the EU that comes up with good ideas like this. It's like the rest of the world is ruled by ignorami and crooks.

Oh wait....

Consent-O-Matic
SuperAgent

yeah actually you may get the same connector on every device but if you want that fast charging you'll need to use the wall wart as a lot of those Type C ports are only USB2.0 not 3.x gen X so no fast charging when you plug it into your PC or Laptop just slow old 5 Volts and 500 milliAMPs which will take you foreveeeeeeeeer to charge it even half way

The EU did not go far enough with that spec they should also have mandated it be no less than a USB 3.1 gen 1 controller behind that USB Type C port

Nearly all mass consumer devices - should go to stds .
Travel as a family - one cable for GoPro , one for android, one for iphone etc .
What it means is if you are in a tech dead spot - lose your iphone cable - get a universal cable .

The few people getting upset - you have probably 1000 000 code rules that you or businesses that you use - have to comply with - yes some are applied too broadly - or don't assist main reason for code in some edge situations ( and yes some will make those edge cases worse or more unsafe - and their will be a tosser with a click board trying to enforce it - with no understanding )

The point is most code is good - we don't need less of it , or less laws , we need better well applied laws- easy to understand , applied it right places - if we get less code , and less laws that's a bonus

Never believe politicians backed by big business we don't need protections - that stopping safety , pollution is communism - that big business will police itself .- they won't - they will screw you over and them claim the problem is they need more ability to screw you over - sadly those suffering from these policies are the people voting for this - because it's the way , it's patriotic and it's worse than the sin of enforced social responsibility . I just don't get it - in a small group/tribe you wouldn't let a psychopath take the lion's share , pollute your share - have you work long hours -leave went resources gone with a huge toxic mess . Yet people think it's a religious like right for those rich powerful entities to exploit them as much as possible , to take their job on a whim , to stop health benefits , to take their drinking water , pollute the ground and rivers their kids swim in - knowing when the last fat and marrow has been extracted they will be tossed aside with a huge tax bill to clean up - as suddenly that company no longer belongs to parent company and is bankrupt

Good governance is not smooth or easy -but 3 word sound bites with no substance is a poor reason to back someone

Well another classic case of money waste in politics.
They have been fighting for decades... Really like we literally when 5 gens of cables since they started, and who care, I have an android and pc ecosystem this is a non issue, most households have same phone os so cables are not an issue. The reason why it took so long for them to win is because they are fighting after the fact. If you want to set a standard start early and where it matters, and by this I mean EV's.
If there is a standard to be made it should be now and on EV chargers, universal connector, universal location so that charging stations dont have to support, hood, rear right and left, front right and left ect, those infra are costly to build, a standard there will help getting more charging station and a better support for ev,
This problem is allot bigger then a 3ft usb c or lighting cable

The reason is irrelevant, as long as I do not hurt another you have no right to tell me what to do.
But you do hurt others. A lot. You are the anarchist here since you want to actively hurt others just so you can personally "feel better".

I've seen so many people put the "communist" tag on any legislation. These people don't know wtf they are talking about.

Yes, for all the EU's faults, consumer protection is something they do well (and the UK still benefits from having had to pass such laws into their own law books when they were a member).

I bet you're not aware that EU countries require two year warranties on many products when the standard worldwide is only a pitiful year.

But you do hurt others. A lot. You are the anarchist here since you want to actively hurt others just so you can personally "feel better".

I've seen so many people put the "communist" tag on any legislation. These people don't know wtf they are talking about.
So I am an anarchist and want to hurt people simply because I want a different cable?

Computer mouses. The rule is, if a noun has an irregular plural, it becomes regularized when used in a different context or for a different purpose. Thus an ant has two antennae but a TV has two antennas. A book has two indices but a database table has two indexes.

How dare people have freedom of choice...
There's no freedom to choose whatever connector you like on an iPhone. It's just the old Lightning. Apple's arguments against this rule are that it will stiffle innovation. Yeah, right, because Apple innovated the Lightning standard on their own so much since 2012 when it was introduced. It still uses USB2.0 and 20W. Even $200 Androids support higher speeds.

So I am an anarchist and want to hurt people simply because I want a different cable?
No, it's because you think pro-consumer legislation that helps people and stops large corporations from:
1. being intentionally wasteful to gain profits
2. intentionally using non-standard connections so that they sell more expensive peripherals
is the same as "communism".

You don't care about the cable.

Back