Apple warned not to throttle charging and data speeds of non-MFi (made for iPhone) USB-C...

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Here we go again: Current rumors suggest that Apple might be planning to throttle data and charging speeds on USB-C cables that don't have the MFi badge. The certification is Apple's way of ensuring devices and accessories are safe to use with iPhones. There is no official indication that it will hinder uncertified devices, but the European Commission isn't taking any chances.

In 2022, the EU enacted legislation requiring electronic devices supporting wired charging to come equipped with a USB-C port. While lawmakers didn't name Apple explicitly, it is the only OEM still hanging on to a proprietary charging system. Apple has until the end of next year to comply, but the company will likely switch from Lightning to USB-C with the upcoming iPhone 15 later this year.

However, reliable leaker, ShrimpApplePro tweeted in February that the tech titan is planning to throttle charging speeds and data transfer rates on USB-C cables unless they are certified MFi (made for iPhone). The rumor seemed credible since Apple has long had a chip in iPhones that detects whether or not an accessory is MFi-certified.

A month later, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo confirmed that Apple is "optimizing" the speed of MFi chargers for the iPhone 15.

"I believe Apple will optimize the fast charging performance of MFi-certified chargers for the iPhone 15," Kuo wrote in a March blog post.

Apparently, the European Commission pays attention to rumor and speculation because Commissioner Thierry Breton reportedly penned a letter to Apple cautioning the company that it is not permissible to restrict the functionality of USB-C cables. Failure to comply with this requirement would make iPhones ineligible for sale in the EU when the new law goes into effect on December 28, 2024. According to Die Zeit, German press agency DPA, who obtained a copy of the letter, mentioned that the EU had already advised Apple about this matter during a meeting held in mid-March.

However, Apple has over a year to ignore Breton's warning. In the meantime, ShrimpApplePro claims that the company already has MFi-certified USB-C chargers and cables in mass production with Foxconn. Theoretically, Cupertino can spend the last quarter of 2023 and nearly all of 2024 pushing its MFi chargers while throttling uncertified cables. Then when the deadline hits, a simple – probably already prepared – software update can go out to EU users that lifts the restriction on uncertified cables.

As always, take this with a grain of salt. Everything, including Breton's letter, assumes the rumors are valid. Apple has not acknowledged receiving the warning nor officially announced plans to throttle non-MFi devices. That said, it's not outside Apple's playbook to pull a stunt like that.

Image credit: iPhone USB-C by Yalcin Sonat

Permalink to story.

I would believe it.

Apple these days is petty enough that they'd push this anti-consumer behaviour up until any deadline.
If they have until december 2024 that's plenty of time for them to sell their cables. They wouldn't even have to update the old models as they'd be grandfathered into the new law. They would just have to update new phones to be 100% USBc compliant making them able to sell their special chargers as long as people still own iPhone's manufactured pre-dec 2024. Theoretically, they could sell their special chargers in europe for years after the law is passed

There are probably people who would think after the fact that they need Apple's special charger even if they didn't so there is a strong possibility that Apple could sell them to people who don't even need them

Lol, why is Apple constanly trying to sabotage their products?
They're not trying to sabotage their own products, they're trying to sabotage 3rd party products. Their idea is that you must pay out the nose for a cable with an Apple logo on it, because if you buy a cheaper alternative not only are you stealing money out of Apple's pocket, but it's also very dangerous!

They're not trying to sabotage their own products, they're trying to sabotage 3rd party products. Their idea is that you must pay out the nose for a cable with an Apple logo on it, because if you buy a cheaper alternative not only are you stealing money out of Apple's pocket, but it's also very dangerous!

Do you know how many knock-off lightning cable's are in the market? And that they barely reach to advertised specs without self-igniting or melting ?

Apple has the right to protect it's products, from vendors selling cables that are below advertised specs. What would you think happen if houses start to catch on fires at night because of a shitty non certified cable?

Who's responsible for that?

Give me a certified cable please. Just so I can sleep at night knowing that is'nt a risk and it's certified to charge at full speeds.

Apple are such scum. Tim Cook managing to build in obsolescence to cables now. What next - maybe the sockets in people homes need upgrading on a yearly basis to support their **** overpriced devices? F@@k the environment as long as he can get his filthy hands on some more of your money. What a horror of a human being.

Apple are such scum. Tim Cook managing to build in obsolescence to cables now. What next - maybe the sockets in people homes need upgrading on a yearly basis to support their **** overpriced devices? F@@k the environment as long as he can get his filthy hands on some more of your money. What a horror of a human being.
I think in modernspeak this is considered "pro-investor".

OK, this is a situation in which I'm rather torn on. On one hand, I’d have to agree with the EU in that these shenanigans that Apple is trying to pull here requiring MiFi-certifications with their USB-C cables is anti-consumer and anti-competitive. However, on the flipside I know that there are a lot of really cheap USB-C cables that are cheap but not in a good way. Some of these cables have even been known to start a fire.

How does one protect themselves from shoddy cables? The MiFi-certification is one such solution to this problem. The bad part is, as I stated above, it’s anti-consumer and anti-competitive.

What’s the solution here?

This is another reason why I don't use Apple products, they are just too shady to bother.

Back