Server Win2k3 hangs or restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I have a server with Windows 2003 server that randomly hangs or restart showing Events Id 1074 or 1076. In fact problems begins after installing Symantec EndPoint Protection v.11 acting also as a GUP. Since the AV was installed servers begins to hang randomly and after power up I receive the following event:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: USER32
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1076
Date: 14/02/2009
Time: 11:22:22
User: domain\useraccount
Computer: computer
Description:
The reason supplied by user domain\useraccount for the last unexpected shutdown of this computer is: System Failure: Stop error
Reason Code: 0x805000f
Bug ID:
Bugcheck String: 0x0000000a (0x00000060, 0xd0000002, 0x00000000, 0x8080cfc2)
Comment: 0x0000000a (0x00000060, 0xd0000002, 0x00000000, 0x8080cfc2)

After reading about this in this forum and applying some hotfixes and some solutions, now the server tipically restart instead of hang showing the following Event:

Event ID: 1074
Time: 16:02:24
User: Event ID: 1074
Time: 16:02:24
User: domain\useraccount
Computer: computer
Description:
The process rundll32.exe has initiated the restart of computer computer on behalf of user domain\useraccount for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
Reason Code: 0x80050004
Shutdown Type: restart

I'll ask for your help because at this time I'm thinking to reinstall the OS but I have no warranty to solve the problem.

Some ideas?

Attached some minidumps.

Thanks in advance

The best and simplest thing for you to do is to uninstall Symantec since the problems began shortly after its installation. Make sure you use their tool that you can use off their website for a complete uninstall because their producrts are notorious for leaving remnants behind. Is this the only antivirus you have installed?

Many people have issues with Norton/Symantec.

By the way, I did read your minidumps and they all cite Windows drivers which are too general to be of much help.

* If you uninstall Symantec get back to us if you gain stability or not.

Thanks a lot Route44.

I'll try uninstalling Symantec, but before I need to move services and resources to a different server.

This is the only antivirus in the system. Initally I have Mcafee Viruscan Enterprise and I uninstalled before to install Symantec.

I let you know if uninstalling Symantec the system becomes stable.

Thanks again.

Okay, good, get back to us. Might I suggest that before you uninstall Symantec first make sure ALL of McAfee truly was uninstalled completely. Any remnants will conflict with a newer install of a different security software.

I have seen this happen too often and it may not be Symantec at all..

Solved.!!
I discover where the problem is. Finally the problem was caused by the Symantec Continous Protection Server and the Symantec Endpoint Protection. The problem was solved inmediatly after uninstalling CPS. Currently I am using SEP v 11 and CPS v 11. I'll upgrade Backup Exec to version 12 and try it again.

Thank you very much for your help.

Thanks for getting back to us. It seems two protection softwares by the same manufacturer were in conflict. Glad it is now stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back