SetFSB Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xecutor

Hi guys,

I wanted to ask you about "setFSB".

I have read on the web a bit before using this tool, and I understand that software OC of the CPU from Windows is usually a no-no as it is generally considered unstable.

However, I was only looking to OC my processor by only a little just to be able to see if I could achieve something workable with this software. I took a risk and tried it at different clock speeds.

I changed the FSB on it to obtain

2.80 GHz (Freeze & BSOD rightaway)
2.70 GHz (froze & crashed Crysis and SF4 - randomed a BSOD)
2.66 GHz (some artifacts in Crysis Warhead - no BSOD)
2.65 GHz (some artifacts in Crysis Warhead - no BSOD)
2.60 GHz <--- Most stable - No artifacts and no game / OS crashes

2.30 GHz is stock freq.

I have used it and have seen that CPU temps are within reasonable range (48C-52C) while overall performance has increased slightly.

Windows 7 posted an index of 5.5, up from 5.0 for the CPU.
Crysis Warhead 1.1 plays at an avg of 18FPS (playable), up from 12FPS, using a GTX260 core 216 (OC to 720 core 1143 mem - max temp of 51C).

So far, I haven't seen any problems when I OC'd the CPU to 2.6GHz.

What do you think of this program and how close or far am I from giving my PC a debilitating disease? ;)

The only nag I have had with it is that I have to start it every time after a cold boot and increase the FSB to OC the CPU speed to 2.6GHz. Other than that, I haven't had a single BSOD since I installed this program last week.

Please see the attachment for a visual of what I am at using setFSB.

Your thoughts please?

Attachments

• CPU-Z_SetFSB software OC AMD CPU to 2600MHz.jpg
    CPU-Z_SetFSB software OC AMD CPU to 2600MHz.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 13
Hey X,
software OC'ing used to be unstable years ago but has come a long way. If you want to make your OC semi permanent you can set it in the bios (if your bios has those adjustments) other wise if you are just in need of a temp gaming profile, go ahead and use the software. I am not surprised that 2.6 is the only truly stable OC you are getting with the 4400, the 4200/4400 X2's have a history of getting a 300Mhz OC before running into stability issues. I have an OC section in this guide I wrote that may help a bit if you care to check it out.
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic133075.html
Hope it helps :)

Wow awesome as usual Red! :)

I am going to check out your guide; I had no idea you had one (lol). And the reason why I used setFSB to start with was that my M2A-VM motherboard's BIOS does not allow access to any of the Voltage controls or the CPU / RAM / FSB Clock controls at all. Btw, I disabled Cool 'n Quiet as well, based on what I previously read on the web.

It is good news to note that soft OC is that much more accessible and relatively safe now.

I will check out your guide now and I may have some more questions after that :D

Thanks man!

EDIT:

Lol! You really killed with that article, but I'll say it again:

That was a chef-d'oeuvre, a master-piece! Thank you once again man, I have kept it for future reference. One little addition to your arsenal of CPUs might be the Athlon II x4 ! :D Budget quadcore!!

Right now, I don't think I can change the CPU Voltage via setFSB, so I will have to placate myself with a 300MHz boost for now. I have a Thermaltake TR2-R1 aftermarket CPU cooler, and the cooling from the NZXT Zero 2 is pretty impressive (IMHO) when I OC'd the CPU and GPU. Will the temps stay about that range if/when I am able to access the Voltage controls and increase the 4400+ CPU Voltage?

I am going to re-read the article once more once I do get access to that control though.

My plans for next year are to upgrade this rig from the AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+ to a core i5/i7 on LGA1156 socket mobo from Gigabyte or EVGA and 8GB of DDR3 1333MHz. I'm waiting for prices to drop a bit. Right now this costs about $560 CAD, but I expect to be able to get a better system for that price in 2010 (hopefully). I should be able to run SC2 at near max settings with my AMD rig, but with the core i5/i7 I should be able to run SC2 and Crysis Warhead (and maybe even Crysis 2) at max settings :D

Hey X,
thanks! awfully kind of you to say :)
if you can voltage control, and with a minor bump in voltage, you may be able to get that x 4400 to 2.8 stable and temps should stay inline. I will try to find you the link to the program i was able to control voltage with the x2 4400/4200.

Thanks buddy! :) I am looking forward to it!

Once I get that, Crysis Warhead should gain a few FPS. I've restarted playing from "Call Me Ishmael" at Delta skill level - so far it is only slightly harder, but not too different from easy; but then, I have acquired stealth skills ;)

I can now Max Strength, Snipe head-shot, Cloak Engaged in under 2s lol.

PS: One thing though, I have a 500W 80-plus certified PSU from Antec with a dual-12V rail and a current of 17A for each rail (34A). Will I need more juice to increase the CPU voltage?

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NjU=

I know it says 22A +/- 5 there, but it is written 17A on the PSU itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back