Setting Up a Gigabit Network

I am pretty much a novice with regards to networking. We recently built a new house and have wired it with cat 5e wire. I want to share my windstream internet connection over the network as well as be able to share files and use a drobo storage unit. I have a windstream router an a gigabit network switch. Will connecting a direct wire from the modem to the switch allow all the computers to gain access to the internet.

Correct - - everything attach to the router or a switch hung off of it will be "in the same subnet" as there is only one router. Wifi and wired will look the same to all users and everyone can "play" at the same time :)

Thanks for your fast reply. The reason I asked was because when I tried to "check" each each outlet using a laptop after I connected the outlet to the switch I only had two computers work. I checked the wiring with a tester I bought from Newegg and the lines are fine.

Hey HM.When you state " Will connecting a direct wire from the modem to the switch allow all the computers to gain access to the internet." I assume you meant to say from the router to the switch. Also, note that all components in a Gigabit network have to have Gigabit capability (router,switch,pc's network adapters,etc), to have the speed advantage.

Depending on the type of hardware your using most home routers can peak only 600mbps from 1.0Gbps while some other routers can peak 800mbps from 1.0Gbps. Also some models can't peak even lower than 400mbps.

If you can configure your NIC from Auto to 1.0Gbps Full Duplex, Managed Switch same then throughput between other Gigabit Systems would perform well. If you throw Unmanaged Switch in the mix then the desktop or laptop NIC would need set to auto since the Unmanaged Switch is a fix speed which is auto.

Hey HM.When you state " Will connecting a direct wire from the modem to the switch allow all the computers to gain access to the internet." I assume you meant to say from the router to the switch. Also, note that all components in a Gigabit network have to have Gigabit capability (router,switch,pc's network adapters,etc), to have the speed advantage.

Well Im not sure...told you Im a novice lol....what I connected to the swtich is a wire from the windstream dsl box. Is the windstream dsl thing a modem or router,,,it has four out ports and a dsl in port.

[PC] ~~~~~wires~~~~[Switch/Router]~~~~[Modem]----> Teh interwebz

Gateway is the last point, where your phone line (or cable) connects. You can get modem/router units too.

What you have is a combo unit ( dsl modem and router). I remember I used to have a separate dsl modem (phone line in, Ethernet cable out) which connected to my D-Link router's LAN or Ethernet IN port. Some months later, I do remember working on a DSL problem where she only had the one box (phone line in, four Ethernet ports out). Apparently, Verizon started going with these combo units, been about 8 years now since I had DSL.

Back