Severe stutter

peron11

I really dont know what to do now

_Since a month, games that ran smooth as butter, started to suffer from SEVERE stutter on intervals.
_I can play for a while and then it fps drops to like half for a few seconds and then goes back to 60fps.
_I had 4 GB RAM on 2 sticks at 1300, so I replaced one with a 8GB, so now I have 10GB, problem perstisted.
_I had a GTX 250 2GB, today upgraded to a R9 280 4GB, better performance, but again, after a while insane unplayable fps drops and then goes back to 60fps.
_Re installed Windows 7, nothing.

Things I did with no success:
-Removing the 2gb ram module.
-changing the 8gb module to the other slot.
-Defragmenting.
-Cleaning the fans and everything inside the case again.
BIOS:
-Cool n quiet on/off.
-thermal throttle on/off.
-Loading optimal performance setting.
-Default settings.
In windows, checked pci power saving options off, maximal performance settings.
Antivirus on/off.
Tweaking the pagefile size, nothing, back to automatic.
Vsync on/off, nothing.
Updated drivers, even tried with driver cleaner(cant rmemeber the name) to delete any leftover after uninstalling.
CPU and GPUold and new temps, perfect, Im using a DeepCool cpu cooler and it works like a charm, gpu never beyond 60c.

Using Afterburner noticed that the gpu usage drops a lot while stuttering, then it raises back and fps goes back to normal

PSU: Thermaltake 500w

Please someone help. I really tried everything I could think of, Dont know what to do and already spent a lot of money :'(

Choose and run temperature & voltage monitors which log history. Something like OCCT from http://www.ocbase.com/ . Run game in window so you can watch monitor. When stutter, see if any spikes.

Culprits could be CPU or Northbridge. You may need to renew thermal grease.
Culprit could be power to GPU (needs rock solid 12v; a value of 11.4v would be a real issue even if it just flickers down).

Choose and run temperature & voltage monitors which log history. Something like OCCT from http://www.ocbase.com/ . Run game in window so you can watch monitor. When stutter, see if any spikes.

Culprit could be power to GPU (needs rock solid 12v; a value of 11.4v would be a real issue even if it just flickers down).

Hi, thanks dude, Im trying it right now and post the results asap, thanks :)

Downloaded that program but is way too complex for what I know about computers, really cryptic :( gonna try again later, I REALLY want to solve my problem.
I played with afterburner and wanted to share some info I hope it helps at least a little.
_First minutes: 60 fps / gpu at 90-100% / temps 75°c
cpu at 80-90% / 45°c
_Some minutes later: framedrops to 20fps at moments and then back to 60
cpu temps and usage, same as before.
gpu usage while stutter 0-20% / same temps as before.

_minutes later: cpu the same as always, temps and usage.
gpu almost all the time at 2% usage / 75°c
fps: slideshow

_later: even my music player started to stutter, game unplayable, freezing at times.

Im gonna learn about that program, I hope its not way too hard. (if you could tell me what buttons to press and what graphics to check, please)
Thanks again.

Could be the psu..? from what I readed if the psu its not strong enough it would crash the system instead of lower the performance?

I found out that the core clock slows down to 500, no idea what it means, but when goes back to 800-900 , fps return to normal values.
If there's no more answers please tell me, im checking this thread constantly.
Thanks.

Core clock drop? - could be pushed down as part of thermal throttle - to keep things from burning up. It could also be loss of regulation (fluctuation of voltage) - a failing part in the PSU. It could be something else.

The problem is:
1> figure out what is causing the problem
2> confirm in some manner
3> design a response
4> implement
5> confirm correction

If you are using OCCT or Speedfan ( http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php ) or HWMonitor ( http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html ) or any similar program, all you really need to learn is how to identify and display the variables you are seeking - DO NOT run sexy tests or take over control of fan speed or overclock your CPU or GPU....leave that for the future when you have studied your system and the program much further.

"Could be the psu..? from what I readed if the psu its not strong enough it would crash the system instead of lower the performance?" - not always - PSU has different groups of voltages which may be organized in various ways - "rails" - the available amperage (how many watts/volts) and voltage on each rail can become a limiting factor and result in quirky operation of a GPU or a HD or a USB port or almost anything else in a system. A computer is a complex beast - so we need tools to even begin to understand its operation.

Core clock drop? - could be pushed down as part of thermal throttle - to keep things from burning up. It could also be loss of regulation (fluctuation of voltage) - a failing part in the PSU. It could be something else.

The problem is:
1> figure out what is causing the problem
2> confirm in some manner
3> design a response
4> implement
5> confirm correction

If you are using OCCT or Speedfan ( http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php ) or HWMonitor ( http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html ) or any similar program, all you really need to learn is how to identify and display the variables you are seeking - DO NOT run sexy tests or take over control of fan speed or overclock your CPU or GPU....leave that for the future when you have studied your system and the program much further.

"Could be the psu..? from what I readed if the psu its not strong enough it would crash the system instead of lower the performance?" - not always - PSU has different groups of voltages which may be organized in various ways - "rails" - the available amperage (how many watts/volts) and voltage on each rail can become a limiting factor and result in quirky operation of a GPU or a HD or a USB port or almost anything else in a system. A computer is a complex beast - so we need tools to even begin to understand its operation.

Hi, thanks Cycloid.
Its only happening with games that use cpu a lot, with games/benchmarks that only streess the gpu, the gpu can stay at 100% usage and 75°c for prolonged times with no issues at all, core clock stays the same.
Its only happening with stuff that require cpu usage from what I saw.
It could till be the psu because its not enugh to supply both gpu and cpu at the same time?
Sorry for my english, and thanks :)

Please be more specific.

Temperatures: sensor (CPU#0, etc, GPU, Northbridge, etc - you can say Sensor1, Sensor2, etc if you do not know what it is), low, high

Voltages: sensor (+5v,+12v, etc), low, average, high

Does change in temperature tie in to a change in voltage? If so, describe in specific.

Please be more specific.

Temperatures: sensor (CPU#0, etc, GPU, Northbridge, etc - you can say Sensor1, Sensor2, etc if you do not know what it is), low, high

Voltages: sensor (+5v,+12v, etc), low, average, high

Does change in temperature tie in to a change in voltage? If so, describe in specific.
Thanks I had no idea about those details, Im going to check them.

Back