Sex, alcohol, and shopping: the favorite activities of home workers and their high cost

midian182

Staff member
Editor's take: One of the many effects of the pandemic is that working from home has become the standard for many people. But are employees taking advantage of being away from the office and the ever-watchful eyes of bosses? In some cases, yes.

A survey from LED lighting firm e-conolight (via ZDNet) asked 1,000 Americans how much of their 40-hour workweek is spent actually working.

The majority of participants (41.9%) said they spend 4-6 hours focused on work each day, while 34.1% put this figure at 7+ hours. However, not everyone is so dedicated: 21.3% focus on work for just 1-3 hours per day, 2.5% spend less than one hour concentrating on their job, and 0.2% don’t concentrate on work at all—one assumes they must have the kind of job where that’s possible.

Despite 76% percent of respondents spending more than four hours each day focused on work, 40% of participants said they spend four or more hours away from their computers. What are they doing during that time? More than half (60%) have taken a nap while on the clock, 42% have been on a date, and 41% have had sex. Almost half said they've had an alcoholic drink, while more than three-quarters have shopped online.

All that sex and drunken shopping brings consequences. Half the respondents have been late to a meeting because of non-work-related activities, 44% have been reprimanded, and 39% have been fired for their actions. Interestingly, a massive 45.3% of people said they had done work for another company while on the clock.

The survey illustrates how some people who have suddenly found themselves working from home can struggle to stay professional, treating it as an extended vacation. It’s doubtlessly been a hard lesson to learn for the 39% who lost their job for engaging in activities they would (hopefully) avoid at the office.

Header image credit: Rawpixel.com

Permalink to story.

Gave up the alcohol 2 1/2 years ago after 12 years of hardcore alcoholism.
One of the best choices I've made.

My weed consumption has skyrocketed since working from home though.
I still do my full 8 hours, 40/week (with occasional OT), I'm just stoned as hell and possibly not wearing pants while I do.

Working from home full-time in 2020 ruined my productivity, so I packed up my bags and left California to escape the lockdowns and found another job. I’m so much happier now!

Online Shopping: Yes... I do it regularly. I've got two AC units and new screen protectors for my watch in the mail right now.

Sex: that's basically all there is to do. She doesn't have to go to work either and having her around all day is otherwise useless. She does cook and clean tho.

Alcohol: As soon as the Pandemic Quarantine started, I pretty much quit buying alcohol. I figured I didn't want to develop any substance abuse issues.

People who weren't productive in the office aren't going to be productive working from home.

I have setup 5 hours every week to learning something new while on the clock it keeps me from getting distracted with other things. My company encourages employees to develop new skills.

Online Shopping: Yes... I do it regularly. I've got two AC units and new screen protectors for my watch in the mail right now.

Sex: that's basically all there is to do. She doesn't have to go to work either and having her around all day is otherwise useless. She does cook and clean tho.

Alcohol: As soon as the Pandemic Quarantine started, I pretty much quit buying alcohol. I figured I didn't want to develop any substance abuse issues.
Yes. Pardon me for saying so, ;), but it sounds like you have enough addictions already.
I do better working at home.
Less office noise in the background, helps me focus.
Access to the internet is the same either way, and when it's dumb busy I don't have time to be on it, so that doesn't make a difference.
Me too. I think I was more productive working at home for the same reasons.

Did this study look at in-office behavior as well? It's not like no one has ever shopped, drank, fooled around, or gossiped in the office...

Pretty much nailed it on the head. It might be easier to find ways to slack off, but most slackers are just as good at it in-office as they are at home from what I've observed.

"and 0.2% don’t concentrate on work at all—one assumes they must have the kind of job where that’s possible"
Yeah, they're called "Executives" and under normal circumstances they spend all day at the golf course getting paid big money for making corporations worse.

Having sex during "new normal" is probably punishable by law in some countries. Because if your GF isn't living with you, then visiting her is breaking the rules of quarantine. Did you wear a mask while having sex? Did your girlfriend wear a mask?

Note: Mask with a big hole in the middle violates medical regulations.

I still do my full 8 hours, 40/week (with occasional OT), I'm just stoned as hell and possibly not wearing pants while I do.
Mary Jane is a far better lover than Margarita. Take it from a Canadian. ;-)
Did this study look at in-office behavior as well? It's not like no one has ever shopped, drank, fooled around, or gossiped in the office...
This is an "opinion" (read: corporate propaganda) piece. It's clearly trying to push a narrative by omitting such facts. Good on ya for pointing that out.
People who weren't productive in the office aren't going to be productive working from home.

I have setup 5 hours every week to learning something new while on the clock it keeps me from getting distracted with other things. My company encourages employees to develop new skills.
That's a great philosophy to have. I wish that all companies were so progressive in their thinking.
I do better working at home.
Less office noise in the background, helps me focus.
Access to the internet is the same either way, and when it's dumb busy I don't have time to be on it, so that doesn't make a difference.
Yeah, me too. I'm always at work when I post here but only when it's dead. The thing that drives me nuts is the crap computers that we're forced to use here. Our IT department has some kind of a hard-on for Lenovo. Since we all know that brand-names mean nothing when it comes to computers, I sometimes struggle to understand how they choose the computers we have.
Wait... are we going to ignore the fact that 39% have been fired over this? wtf?
Of course we are. It doesn't fit the narrative of the article (which is to convince people that they should be going back to the office) so they just skim over what is more than likely employee abuse.
I would bet a bunch of them are lying.
I would bet a bunch of them are lying.
Oh probably. Since corporations lie to their employees left and right it would only make sense that their employees would do the same in return.
Yes. Pardon me for saying so, ;), but it sounds like you have enough addictions already.

Me too. I think I was more productive working at home for the same reasons.
Yeah but the pricks who run these companies don't feel the same amount of power over you when you're not there. They want slaves, not free employees.
Big brother is watching you.
I hope that Big Brother was traumatised by what they saw. :laughing:
Pretty much nailed it on the head. It might be easier to find ways to slack off, but most slackers are just as good at it in-office as they are at home from what I've observed.
Yup, there are lots of professional slackers in corporations. They're called "Executives".

Have you thought that maybe giving up the weed could turn into one of your best choices you've made? Maybe after 12 years of it, you might try it. Just a thought and nothing personal.

Have you thought that maybe giving up the weed could turn into one of your best choices you've made? Maybe after 12 years of it, you might try it. Just a thought and nothing personal.

I've been smoking weed for far longer than 12 years.
I did stop for a couple.
Sticking with it is the better choice.

Back