Share printer over VPN connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear all
i know there is atopic with the same name but it doesn't solve my problem
any how i want to do the same work by sharing a printer with a vpn in connection but
when i ping it its giving me a message
requested time out
if i disable the VPN it connects normally
i don't know what to do really

Where is the printer located? On a Domain or Workgroup?
Is the Printer Shared already? If not that needs to be done at the location.
Do you have permission to use such shared printer?
Are you at work or at home?
Are you trying to use a printer on your Workgroup at the same time you connect to your company domain via VPN?
Are you on your company laptop?
Do you have permission granting you access to change administration functions on your company laptop.

The last one is very important because it would allow you to add your home printer to your laptop and you could use this printer any time you're connected over the VPN tunnel. If you can't get admin rights, then you need to bring the printer CD/DVD or have a support tech add your printer to your laptop. Ticket would need to be generated though? If required by your companies policies?

reply for Question

Where is the printer located? On a Domain or Workgroup?

I dont know how to find this information its just anetwork printer with ip
hp 3600

but we have windows server 2003 it has a domain for it

Is the Printer Shared already? If not that needs to be done at the location.
it has ip address and some computers can access to it already and print from it

Do you have permission to use such shared printer?
i m the admin i have full authority from my company

Are you at work or at home?

work
Are you trying to use a printer on your Workgroup at the same time you connect to your company domain via VPN?

yes exactly

Are you on your company laptop?
on my company desktop
Do you have permission granting you access to change administration functions on your company laptop.
yes

The last one is very important because it would allow you to add your home printer to your laptop and you could use this printer any time you're connected over the VPN tunnel. If you can't get admin rights, then you need to bring the printer CD/DVD or have a support tech add your printer to your laptop. Ticket would need to be generated though? If required by your companies policies?

Very commonly, a VPN connection will dominate the routing table such that file sharing
on the local system does not work. If the printer in qustion is not on your system OR
if it is a network attached device (ie it has a print server device), you will not make this work.

This is a security feature for the VPN to which you are connecting.

i m sorry but it must work and it worked before the printer
how to do that
should i add the computers to the domain or just Change the name of the work group to the domain name

I reported my prior experience with corporate level VPN connections.
Your mileage may vary -- some may know of another solution

i m sorry but it must work and it worked before the printer
how to do that
should i add the computers to the domain or just Change the name of the work group to the domain name

Well okay if it worked before and you have answered all the questions. Thanks.
I still say you need to remove the drivers. Then reboot and then re-install the drivers.

So you can print local, but when you VPN and try to pull off a share on your domain to print data from the domain share folder the share printer located on your domain won't print?

Sounds like the printer is on the domain, but you can't print to it via VPN. You are the admin with full rights. The shared printer is HP. Are the drivers for this printer on the Windows 2003 Print Server? If the drivers are not there you would need to add them to your system manually using a CD or download them from HP. The drivers should be on the Print Server if not that's another issue that needs to be addressed.

i face the same proplem in 3 computers
and for them for the same printer and scanning file

i don't know why if it was one system i would just say may be driver but for three
its confusing
thanks

i face the same proplem in 3 computers
and for them for the same printer and scanning file

i don't know why if it was one system i would just say may be driver but for three
its confusing
thanks

Are you running Active Directory which you should. Look at the profiles that have VPN access to print when connected. Then clone that profile to your profile or whatever is missing in your profile to a user's profile can that can use VPN and access the printer. User is not a member of bla_group_prt_hpxxx. Each profile policies going to be different. Sounds like someone changed and didn't make a comment about in your network domain.

i think what you are saying is close to the truth i have many people modifying in my network im still new
but i don't know how to do what you mention would you please simplify it or give me more explanation

i think what you are saying is close to the truth i have many people modifying in my network im still new
but i don't know how to do what you mention would you please simplify it or give me more explanation

Need to to find out who's been doing it and let them show you how to do it. It's called shadowing (learning the ropes). You can take classes on Active directory or better yet buy a book on the subject. I had learned the hard way. I was given a manual here you go learn it. I never read the thick page manual I just learn it buy doing it day-in-day out. Changing profiles on the dime, cloning profiles, creating groups, adding printers, users, devices, blackberry to groups and to push and or pull to user profiles. Anyway fun when you learn how (hands on)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back