Shopping for new WiFi/Router

GNS1310

I keep losing my WiFi in the house. I have a Linksys E2000 that I bought a long time ago...probably 5-6 years ago or so.
I have TWC internet, bought my own Router before they started charging for theirs, dunno how long ago that was.
I only have 15 down 1 up, really need to upgrade that but my options are limited and I don't want to pay a ton for faster speed. Hoping to move soon to a city with FIOS, I can pay roughly the same price and get 50/50.
I see the $180 beast on Amazon and don't think I need anything like that...also see them for $25 and think I probably need something more than that.
Would like it to cover the whole house and give as strong a signal as it can.

Be advised: the box which connects to the ISP line is a MODEM (either Adsl or Cable) and some also have a router built-in.
I always use my own router and configure the entire lan on it, for such cases as the Modem being replaced, eg:
  • ISP==Modem--my.router--my equip
your Internet speed will always be controlled by the ISP and not at the modem either.

That's ok - - now tell us the exact make & model of the existing modem. You need to realize that if you move and change the ISP, we'll need to go through this again? I would wait until then.

Motorola SURFboard SB6121
  • Wired modem only, does NOT include WIFI Router or VOIP Telephone adapter. Gigabit Ethernet port to connect to computer or Router for fast downloads.
  • Compatible with Comcast, Time Warner, Cox, Charter, Bright House Networks and MOST Small Regional Cable Providers (NOT compatible with Verizon FiOS or AT&T U-verse). Requires CABLE Internet Service, if not sure your provider is CABLE call them to confirm
  • Internet speeds based on your Cable providers service - up to 172 Mbps download and 131 Mbps upload. 4 Download and 4 Upload Channels.
  • BROWN BOX models NOT VALID for this item when sold as New, should report to Amazon immediately and RETURN to Seller
  • Good for streaming HD Video and gaming
see these considerations

Last edited by a moderator:
Back